Help me overcome this weird thought

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Artix
Private
Private

Help me overcome this weird thought

Post by Artix »

So yeah, it's really idiot, but i can't stop from thinking that maybe its because of me that the Laser/GM Sniping serv (02.bztank.net) is still alive...
And i guess that's totally wrong, but i can't stop thinking about it. And then thinking how idiot it is.
So if you could please tell me some kind of real facts that show how idiot such a thought is, maybe i won't be thinking about it anymore.

Here's the "story":
I don't quite recall when it was (several years ago in fact, something like 2 or 3 years) but i started playing on that server at some point (i recall it was one of the most played servers at that time)
After some time i could reach 1.5 KDR (nothing exceptional i guess, but i was really proud of it regarding how young i was XD)
And since i only play BZFlag periodically (like a few days every month or something like that), i once came back, and the server i liked so much was suddently empty.
I came back tomorrow... and it was same. And tomorrow's tomorrow too. And so on.
I ended up doing something's that probably stupid: i launched several clients (let's say ~10) and put them all on autopilot on the server.
Obviously, people started joining the server again. Then i had to go (damn my parents o_O), therefore i only stayed on the server for 30mn-1h in fact.

And since then, i have always seen it within the 5 most used servers on the server list (just as it was before it got somehow deserted)

What exactly did happen to the server o_o ?
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Help me overcome this weird thought

Post by Cobra_Fast »

I hope this would happen to the good old BoxyWars! Still miss this map!
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

nothing wrong with that thought...

What happened to:

Turkey Moongroup (server owner took it offline and had his account closed or something to that effect here)

Pie-in-the-sky (map actually, but there is no server hosting the plain pie-in-the-sky any more)

Urban Jungle???

The list goes on.

Times and bz players change.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Urban Jungle is actually in the process of switching servers.

Look for it up soon in the comming weeks on bzflag3.bzextreme.com
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

tks for the update mrapple
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

Ok this is a bit off-topic but some of the popular servers are just plain unaccessible to me. E.g. planet-mofo which has over 1 MB download in wallpapers often can't load, bzexcess.com lags so much I can't talk on bzadmin, bzextreme.com too...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

a pokeball wrote:Ok this is a bit off-topic but some of the popular servers are just plain unaccessible to me. E.g. planet-mofo which has over 1 MB download in wallpapers often can't load, bzexcess.com lags so much I can't talk on bzadmin, bzextreme.com too...
All three of the servers you listed are in the same datacenter. You probably just have a bad route to that location.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Walldorf
Private
Private

Post by Walldorf »

@ pokeball: It might help if you edit your "DownloadAccess.txt"-file in the bzf-folder (~/.bzf under linux, don't know where under win, just search it). If you disallow the wallpaper-files, you can save a lot of traffic, the game still works but looks a little bit odd. Just look for the server/(sub)domain where the wallpaperfiles come from while downloading them.
RapidEcho
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RapidEcho »

blast wrote:
a pokeball wrote:Ok this is a bit off-topic but some of the popular servers are just plain unaccessible to me. E.g. planet-mofo which has over 1 MB download in wallpapers often can't load, bzexcess.com lags so much I can't talk on bzadmin, bzextreme.com too...
All three of the servers you listed are in the same datacenter. You probably just have a bad route to that location.
They're all in the same data center? What data center would that be, if you don't mind my asking? I would look up the IP, but I decided on asking instead.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Artix wrote:And since then, i have always seen it within the 5 most used servers on the server list (just as it was before it got somehow deserted)
The Castle Warfare - Laser AND GM Sniping! map at 02.bztank.net:5155 gets onto the first page of servers a couple of times per week, and has for a long time. I think it is just coincidence that you have happened to see it active more often after your seeding stunt than before.