Teleporter Links

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Teleporter Links

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Okay, so I am having trouble linking teleporters. When I test it with BZWTestLauncher it dosen't work. So what am I doing wrong? Here are the codes I have in my conf:

Code: Select all

teleporter
name Teleporter 1
	position 350 290 60
	rotation 230
	size 0.125 10 10
	border 1
end

teleporter
name Teleporter 2
	position 340 260 0
	rotation 50
	size 0.125 10 10
	border 1
end

link
      from Teleporter 2
	to Teleporter 1
end
I'm no louman...but I do enjoy making maps and trying new things. If you got a good map idea, I can create it! :) Also, since I am always coming out with maps...I do need a hoster. I don't have money so if you can host my maps for free, please private message me!
McYukon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Teleporter Links

Post by McYukon »

link
  from Teleporter 2:b
  to Teleporter 1:b
end

link
  from Teleporter 2:f
  to Teleporter 1:f
end
You have your links wrong, you need to specify which face of the teleporter you link to with :f, :b, :*
Also when making names it may be better if you don't have any spaces in the name, do it like this Teleporter_1
MacBook Pro Uni Late 2008, 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, Mac OS 10.6.5
Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Okay, it worked. Thanks!

stupid bzedit... ;D
I'm no louman...but I do enjoy making maps and trying new things. If you got a good map idea, I can create it! :) Also, since I am always coming out with maps...I do need a hoster. I don't have money so if you can host my maps for free, please private message me!
Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Okay....im having problems with my links and teleporters again. Here is what I have:

teleporter
name Teleporter1
	position -395 360 35 
	rotation 0
	size 0.125 10 10
	border 1
end

teleporter
name Teleporter_1
	position -280 350 0
	rotation 0
	size 0.125 9 10
	border 1
end

teleporter
name Teleporter_2
	position -280 327 0
	rotation 0
	size 0.125 10 10
	border 1
end

teleporter
name Teleporter_3
	position -280 373 0
	rotation 0
	size 0.125 10 10
	border 1
end

teleporter
name Teleporter_4
	position -270 350 0
	rotation 0
	size 0.125 33 10
	border 1
end

link
name link_1
	from Teleporter_1:b
	to Teleporter_4:f
end

link
name link_2
	from Teleporter_2:b
	to Teleporter1:f
end

link
name link_3
	from Teleporter_3:b
	to Teleporter1:f
end
link_2 and link_3 work fine...but link_1 dosen't work. What am I doing wrong?
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

Are you trying to go through the correct teleporter?
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

in your links you have missed an underscore in teleporter_1
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

It still dosen't work.

I'm trying to make it so when go through Teleporter_1 (back side) you teleport to Teleporter_4 (front side). But it dosent work...when I try to go through Teleporter_1 it dosen't let me go through and acts like a wall.

That is link_1.... link_2 and link_3 work fine.
Optic Delusion wrote:in your links you have missed an underscore in teleporter_1
link_2 and link_3 work fine, so Teleporter1 is not the problem.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You have a Teleporter1 and a Teleporter_1, so are you getting those two confused?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Nope... i changed Teleporter1 to Teleporter_7 and it still didn't work....
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I said Teleporter_1 not Teleporter_7. How about you give them more useful names.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

I have over 20 teleporters to deal with. Numbering them is the easiest way to organize them. And why would the name effect the link?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Um, it would affect the link because you are using the name in the link. So if you are picking the wrong one because of ambiguous names, your links will be wrong. You had two teleporters numbered as 1 (one), one of which had an underscore, and one that did not.

Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Yea... i dont get it. It still dosen't work. I am going through the correct tele...but it still acts like a wall. I moved it away from other teles and walls...and it still dosent work. On top of that, I renamed everything....

Yet, it still dosen't work.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well you made a mistake... look again or post it here and someone may tell you what you did wrong.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A teleporter acting like a wall is usually caused by having one of the teleporters sitting on a mesh object of some kind.

Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

aww, blast your so smart. lol. Yep it was just another stupid mistake by me. I had a box under the teles... MY BAD! :oops: :doh:

Well thanks to everyone who helped! it now works! :D

Just keep on a look out...cause im sure I will be making other questions and mistakes. :P
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

If you have 20 + teleporters, I don't envy you. It has always been a pain to work with teles. Have you seen the teleporter options in BZFlag2.99? Any mesh face can be a teleporter, and there are a myriad of options available. Just a few of them... Block tanks by color.. block shots by color... give shots or tanks a new velocity or direction on exit... Send a message to tanks as they pass... even hook in lua code with a variable, to open or close the tele on demand.
http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman3.cgi?bzw.5.in

It should be OK to use an old-style box under your teleporter, as long as you have the box's Z size and the teleporter's position perfect.
The old "floating point bug" occurs when you use a mesh or an arc under the teleporter.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.