Different Settings for different zones??

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Bountty_Hunter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Different Settings for different zones??

Post by Bountty_Hunter »

Okay, once again I have a noobish question! How do you make different setting for different zones. Such us in one zone(or box) you can jump and in another zone(or different box) you can not jump. How is this done?
I'm no louman...but I do enjoy making maps and trying new things. If you got a good map idea, I can create it! :) Also, since I am always coming out with maps...I do need a hoster. I don't have money so if you can host my maps for free, please private message me!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Different Settings for different zones??

Post by Spazzy McGee »

The only 'settings' you can change are those affected by physics drivers. For no-jumoing you simply use a physics driver with negative vertical value for linear.

Code: Select all

physics
 name nojump
 linear 0 0 -20
end
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Physics
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

never thought of using negative vert. velocity to make some objects un-jumpable. thanks for the idea!
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This might also be interesting, but use at your own risk. It might explode and eat your children (or crash your server):
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=16314
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Agent West wrote:never thought of using negative vert. velocity to make some objects un-jumpable. thanks for the idea!
I remember on some of my older maps I made physics drivers that only allowed you to jump 5 units onto a box using negative values for physics drivers. The servers variables remained default.

If your negative values are greater than your jump velocity then you cannot get off the ground.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

wish there was a way to make a drivethrough box with physics that work while one is in the box. think water: you jump off a high point on the map, land in the water, sink a bit, and then are slowly pushed back to the surface...
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!