new gu site

Discussion for GU League Players
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

new gu site

Post by kierra »

As you all well know, the former website went down recently, and we do apologize for the major inconvenience this has been.

After contacting menotume, much time has been devoted to searching through league software, obtaining hosting, choosing domain name, dealing with DNS propagation, beta testing the site and entering content into the new website. We come now to the present where we have a league site to offer. You can find it at http://www.guleague.org/.

As with any new project, this website will likely have some unknown bugs at the beginning. We hope to provide several updates to smooth out some of the rough edges. We welcome constructive, clearly worded input of bugs found and ideas for improvement.

We also added 2 more themes in the config, hoping you will find them pleasing.

P.S.: Referee permissions will be restored soon.

please post your ideas and constructive input here.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
bartleby
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: new gu site

Post by bartleby »

I like the new website. It's simple and seems to load faster. Ok gu sucks but the league website is nice.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

So I logged in as Jacko h.
At the time I was known as RAIDER.
Now I can only log in as Jacko h, so it says im teamless.
Help Kierra?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

um dont worry... the website has done it?!?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
RJ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RJ »

Any chance of HTML being able to work on the site?

I'm a big fan of having a tidy profile and everything with some music on it as well, but as far as I'm aware, you cannot add music to your profile at the moment.
"Because I just went gay all of a sudden!"
- Cary Grant (Bringing Up Baby, 1938)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

kitten wrote:Any chance of HTML being able to work on the site?
Allowing HTML opens people up to various kinds of attacks that could lead to security issues unless done right. Personally, I feel it isn't worth the risk to have such capabilities.
kitten wrote:you cannot add music to your profile at the moment.
That sounds like a benefit to me. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

On the home page, the correct URL for the Ducati league is http://league.bzflag.net/ .

I see no links for reading/sending mail, nor for managing my own profile.

Also, having the current GMT time displayed will help greatly with accurate match reporting.
Asmeouuus
Private
Private

Post by Asmeouuus »

Hmm, seems my password on gu isn't found, invalid...
So I've problem with login...
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

Bullet Catcher wrote:On the home page, the correct URL for the Ducati league is http://league.bzflag.net/ .
Fixed - thanks.
Bullet Catcher wrote:I see no links for reading/sending mail, nor for managing my own profile.
For mail, try "Mail" in the menu. For editing your profile, go to your profile and click "Edit" at the top.
Bullet Catcher wrote:Also, having the current GMT time displayed will help greatly with accurate match reporting.
Agreed, this is needed.
osta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by osta »

I don't like that site, it needs some improvement imho:

1. Texts are too wide. Generally, it's recommended to set any columns 60-80 characters wide. Making it 100% is really hard to read.
2. Same as above for tables - if 2 or 3 columns - it's really hard to find data in a row, it's done quite good on "white" theme
3. Menu is too coarctate. Again - hard to find proper position. Only dark theme is well separated. However, I'll move personal data (Login, Mail, Config) into separate block.
4. Why not to use some JQuery table tools instead of that filtering? It's easy to use, and could be more helpful on players, matches and teams pages.
5. I don't like colours, on every theme something is wrong :->
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Asmeouuus wrote:Hmm, seems my password on gu isn't found, invalid...
So I've problem with login...
I have updated your account manually. You should now be able to use the my.bzflag.org login there.

@ osta:
1. I've experimented quite much with text width, I chose a wide area for text because I like to use available space (also running browser in fullscreen). This forum here also has quite wide text boxes.
2. In my themes the tables use full width to be consistent with the width of text boxes and other tables. The players page will get more columns, too.
3. Menu width is critical with small width of browser windows. More space between entries will make the menu 2 or even 3 rows. :S
4. Never heard of JQuery, a quick search showed it's based on JS - something I'd like to avoid, if possible.
5. Which colours exactly? Content or the theme colours?

If you could provide some kind of mockup we could try doing a theme that would be closer to your preference. Choice for users is good. :)
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

After enabling cookies in my browser for guleague.org the login process actually works, and I can see my mail and edit my profile. :oops:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

JQuery isn't "based on JavaScript", it's a JavaScript library. So, it is JavaScript.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

i cannot seem to update my old account.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Zac: You have updated your old account successfully. Look at http://www.guleague.org/Players/?profile=3199 where it lists your bzid. You should be able to login through my.bzflag.org (same account like here or in-game).
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

one thing is when u get mail or there is a new match. On thold sitecthe MAIL oor MATCHES ages would go red. I liked this now it is gone :-(
Jacko Productions:
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

ok, i have a new problem, after ts fixed me as the leader of the team i wished to kick to old one, my J_S_M bot, so i did, except it kicked me from the team. so now im teamless, and my team Jump_Shoot_miss doesnt have a leader.... can o please have help. thanks
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

also, i can still seem to kick players from the team when logged in as "Zac".... but J_S_M cannot be kicked.?
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Thanks for the report Zac!

Kicking members from team was indeed not working like it was meant to be and I fixed the issue in the code and the one with your account soon after you posted but then I had to sleep.

Due to the fact that the new website went online unscheduled we knew bugs were inevitable. If you experience strange or incorrect behavior please either post it in this thread or to your admin of choice.

We are here to help.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

another thing i noticed, ICF seems to have a rating of 1137?? the match stats dont suggest this to be correct at all.
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

a couple things, is it possible to implement a function so that when deleting mails, we don't have to go into each and every mail and click delete? is it possible to have some boxes to tick like before and also have a "delete all" button up top? most email boxes have it..

also, i'd really like to see those ranking icons back next to the team scores, they are something unique to the leagues :)
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

When I was editing our teams description everything screwed up. Looks like HTML is not allowed any more after editing the description for the first time on the new site. Could you then please provide an opportunity to convert the old HTML entities I used into the new BBCode sort of thing, because I'm not eager to rewrite this entire page.

And @ the JavaScript/JQuery thing.
JQuery is pretty advanced and will work with all graphicals browsers which are capable of javascript. If you do some smart coding you will be getting a result which will also work for both, people with and without javascript, by not screwing your site layout.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Cobra_Fast wrote:When I was editing our teams description everything screwed up. Looks like HTML is not allowed any more after editing the description for the first time on the new site. Could you then please provide an opportunity to convert the old HTML entities I used into the new BBCode sort of thing, because I'm not eager to rewrite this entire page.
First of all, this is not truly possible because BBcode does not support all HTML features (this is by design, for security reasons). In fact, it supports few of the features you have on your team page. I do not believe tables or forms are supported. Therefore, it would be difficult to try to write a conversion tool that could change your HTML to equivalent BBcode. Also, your page has 28 lines of text in it. It would be far easier for you to update it by hand than for a tool to be created to do it automatically. ts has put a lot of work into this site and I'm sure he wants to focus on features that have broad appeal, rather than features that fix only highly specific problems.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

ts, shuya can't log onto the site
Last edited by kierra on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
King RuMbl3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by King RuMbl3r »

i cant log in...it says that the system is attempting to circumvent the login system or something.

some1 pls help. :evil:
"Everyone is entitled to their own deluded opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts... Otherwise the truth would never exist".