FF & EIE Matches

Discussion for GU League Players
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

FF & EIE Matches

Post by snick »

The following bar chart shows the percentage of matches that involved FF and/or EIE:
percent.png
percent.png (46.16 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Each bar represents a group of 100 matches, with the most recent matches on the right.

Of the last 100 matches played on GU, 81% - 4 out of every 5 - involved either FF or EIE
or both FF and EIE. That is quite a lot :--)

I would like to congratulate EIE and FF for their activity in the league and the level of
sportsmanship they show. However, at the same time, I wonder if the league is a little
lopsided now, with so many matches involving one of these two teams.

I welcome your comments!
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: FF & EIE Matches

Post by zaphod »

wow impressive ::: and whats with all the other teams?
- is there something "new" missing in the leagues that players lose interest?
- is it BZFlag itself that gets overtaken by other games out there and becomes "dusty"?

snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

zaphod wrote:wow impressive ::: and whats with all the other teams?
All their active players left and joined EIE or FF :--;
- is there something "new" missing in the leagues that players lose interest?
Speaking only for myself, I do think the gameplay could do with a bit of tweaking
to add some new interest. After a while it does seem a bit repetitive and it's some
time now since I've seen any HiX innovations.

The flag throwing idea is interesting. The BZ World Cup was quite popular - I think
that tells us there's still some interest in BZFlag.
- is it BZFlag itself that gets overtaken by other games out there and becomes "dusty"?
I think that's very hard to say. I would play it, but I've more or less given up on trying
to organize official matches, because it involves too much time sitting around on the
servers waiting. I'm not blaming anyone for that, but that's just the way it seems to be
right now. There has been - for whatever reason - a noticeable drop off in activity
compared to earlier this year. Whether that's part of a long-term trend or is merely
cyclical, I wouldn't like to say. I do think it's far too early to declare that the game is
dead.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

That's an interesting statistic snick. I don't have time at the moment to address this fully but some quick thoughts...

I think perhaps the site being hacked played a large part in the current inactivity.
It will take some time for league members to become familiar with the new site and the gap when matches could not be entered and when the social side of the league was gone, meant people started doing other things.
Hopefully they will return to the league again soon.

Mostly, we seem to have lost the US contingent.
Europe is still pretty active.

Certainly, a league without active teams is dead, so this inactivity should be addressed.
Perhaps it is too early to decide such things, but there certainly is a case to be made for breaking these successful teams into smaller active teams for the sake of the league, if no other solution can be found.

Rebuilding EIE was a long process, so I'm not about to do anything rash, but you certainly raise an interesting point.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, remember: school means less time to play BZFlag.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

Definetely the US is just gone totally ducati now. I think Eie and Ff are mostly German and those countries?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

FiringSquad wrote:
Certainly, a league without active teams is dead, so this inactivity should be addressed.
Perhaps it is too early to decide such things, but there certainly is a case to be made for breaking these successful teams into smaller active teams for the sake of the league, if no other solution can be found.

Rebuilding EIE was a long process, so I'm not about to do anything rash, but you certainly raise an interesting point.
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything rash if I were you. There's no guarantee that scattering a few
FF and EIE players about would help. It might decrease the activity of those two teams but
not increase the activity of other teams enough to compensate.
Jacko h wrote:I think Eie and Ff are mostly German and those countries?
"Those"? :--)
NTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NTH »

Those = here be dragons

Like the stats btw snick :-)

Large teams with active players equals more matches, splitting these teams doesn't always break down to more teams with activity. FF has Always been a large team with high activity so nothing has changed from our point of view.

I think snick has hit the nail on the head, arranging matches is hit and miss. Small team 3 or 4 have no real chance unless they arrange with each other to be on the server and wait and wait and wait. I personally think its not style of league that works it's date and time. (ok new leagues generate interest but we are talking about sustaining a league).

We never have any problems getting a 10x10 riker cup match, and the answer is its arranged. You know the date and time of the match and people turn up. This is true of most arranged tournaments, people will turn out and play when they know they will get a match or have too match in a time frame.

Perhaps its the getting hold of people that is the problem, we all used to share AIM addresses and make sure we was in IRC if we could match.
NTH

Why is it when someone says there is a more than a billion stars in the sky you believe them, but if that same person says wet paint you have to touch it to make sure.

You die you spawn ..... You die you spawn .....
Only you controls the length of time between the two.

BZ Cycle of life
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

I know that alot of new people don't join leagues(like gu) because they think the matches are organised. So if we make it like that We would loose new people to the league.
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.