Tank gets dead with a bullet

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tank gets dead with a bullet

Post by alezakos »

A friend of mine, newcomer to BZFlag, suggested the following:

That tanks just die with *ONE* single bullet. Why not add some kind of... tank health? For example a tank gets 2 shots before it's dead.

Of course there should be a variable or something to control this -- the number of shots a tank gets before it's dead - you know - boom.
NOTE: This is written as a newcomer's thought, just like moving turrets. Personally I don't think it would make the game more complicated, especially if there is a server variable for this. And the tank can't always have a Shield flag.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Tank gets dead with a bullet

Post by dango »

Well, the idea behind the game is that it is supposed to be simple.
From a gameplay point of view, making it so a tank needs two shots to be killed makes it much, much harder to kill a tank on most servers with sane shot-speed etc. Not to mention you'd have to be able to tell the difference between a tank with full health and a tank without. With one-shot-kill you can fire and focus on the next person, knowing that the tank you shot at will die or jump.

Tank health would honestly break gameplay for most servers. Having it as a variable may work, but it would drastically change the way people would have to play. It may seem like a neat idea at first for a newcomer (it's harder to kill me!), but your friend may have forgotten that it would make others harder to kill as well. ;)

Although, hey, it may be a cool thing to try, and I wouldn't mind 2-shot-kill servers, or 3+, but 1-shot-1-kill is what I'd prefer stay the majority.
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Even if I dont like this idea, realising it shoudlnt be that hard (at least the 2-bullets thing).
Tanks could start with haveing the shield flag, so you would need 2 shots to kill them.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Tank health is not something that will be added to the game. You're free to fork the game, however, and add it to your fork.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

There is a hp plugin (HitPoints) that makes it so it takes longer to kill people. It uses the SH flag to give extra "lives".
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague