Google SketchUp

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
The Anti-Noob
Private First Class
Private First Class

Google SketchUp

Post by The Anti-Noob »

Can I use Google Sketch up to make models? If so, how do I get them into BZEdit?
Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies and establish Thy justice among men and nations. -George S Patton
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

You can't move sketch-up models into BZEdit, because they are meshes. BZEdit does not support meshes.
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

sketchup does export in obj format.
Modeltool will very easily convert obj to bzw format, with or without drawinfo.

So go crazy in sketchup, and export in obj, then convert with modeltool.
you dont need bzedit to make bzw
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
The Anti-Noob
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Anti-Noob »

Optic Delusion wrote:sketchup does export in obj format.
Modeltool will very easily convert obj to bzw format, with or without drawinfo.

So go crazy in sketchup, and export in obj, then convert with modeltool.
you dont need bzedit to make bzw
I'm sorry... I am not very good with this stuff... What's the modeltool? and the obj... sorry, though
Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies and establish Thy justice among men and nations. -George S Patton
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

obj is the file type you want to save your file as.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Here's modeltool. If you want to, you can also build from source, linux must build from source...
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11528

Here's one easy way to use modeltool.
1. Make a new folder.
2. Save the modeltool application in that folder. Modeltool is an application, but it's not double-clickable, there is no GUI. You use it via a terminal.
3. Export your map from sketchup, in obj format. Save it in the same folder. Let's pretend this file is named mymap.obj
4. Now open your teminal application,
In windows, this is called "Command Prompt". go to Start, click on "Run", and then enter either "cmd" or "command"
On MAC, it's called terminal. It's found in applications/utilities
5. Now you need to set the terminal so it's working folder is the same one you made. To do this, type two letters, cd, and one space into the terminal.
cd (and press the space bar once)
Now drag the icon of the folder from it's window, into the terminal. And hit return.
The terminal should now show a slightly different path, in it's prompt line. You only need to do this step once, each time you open terminal.

6. Run modeltool with this command.
./modeltool mymap.obj
7. A new file will be created in the folder. mymap.bzw. This is your bzw.

If you want to make drawinfo.bzw, you use modeltool with the -diconf option. To do so, first make a diconf, it's a plain text file that includes the drawinfo options you want. Let's name this file drawinfo.diconf and place it in the same folder. The entire text of the file can be....
lod 0 mymap.obj
(but there are other options, too)
then you run modeltool with
./modeltool drawinfo.diconf
Your drawinfo.bzw will be created.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
The Anti-Noob
Private First Class
Private First Class

Models

Post by The Anti-Noob »

Can I use downloaded models in my sketchup?

thnx
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that depends on the license of the model that you download. If the author allow you to redistribute, convert, and reuse the model then yes. If the author doesn't, then no.
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Google SketchUp

Post by Mark_IV »

Optic Delusion, I did everything you said, and the cmd just changes the top bar from c:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe to c:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe - .\modeltool mymap.obj nothing else happens. And I can't type in the cmd anymore.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Maybe your model was too large and it was still processing it. You could check the Task Manager to see if modeltool is chewing up your CPU (which means it is still processing). Also, you can use Ctrl-C to kill modeltool when you're on the command prompt, or you can use Task Manager to kill it, in the event that Ctrl-C fails to work.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Blast, I left the CMD running for about 10 minutes (Which is a long time for something to wait, as I have a fast computer) I checked the Task manager, and it used 13 CPU the whole time. Am I doing anything wrong?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

If it isn't working the most likely answer is yes.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

I've tried it a number of different ways. And done the exact way Optic Delusion said a few times. I don't know what I'm screwing up.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

We really can't help more unless we have a way to reproduce your issue. Since we don't have your .obj file, we can't attempt the conversion to see if it fails for us too (nor can we debug why it might be locking up).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

If you have google earth, I did upload model, searched tank. It is in the first page, and made my BTM. I was just testing with that, which is the whole test.obj (Which I cant attach, since .obj isn't allowed to be attached)
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

rename the .obj to something which can be uploaded and make a comment suggesting to rename it to .obj...

Then again, one too many beers makes this a simple suggestion by me...
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

I don't have SketchupPro or whatever it's called, so I can any export it as .obj and .skp Both can't be uploaded here.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

So just change the extension to something that IS allowed and tell everyone to change the extension back to obj after downloading (as mentioned by the drunk above :-p )
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mark_IV wrote:I don't have SketchupPro or whatever it's called, so I can any export it as .obj and .skp Both can't be uploaded here.
That sentence doesn't make sense. You "can any export" ?

Edit: You should now be able to upload an .obj file.

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Sorry, supposed to by only, not any. 'I can *only* export it as ....' I tried again, it is .skp that can't be uploaded, and the .obj is too big 1356 kb and it says only 1 MiB is allowed to be uploaded.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

compress it and put it in a .zip file, or upload it to a file-sharing site
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

How do I put it in a zip?
Edit Nevermind, figured it out.
Attachments
Test.zip
(507.93 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Mark_IV wrote:How do I put it in a zip?
Edit Nevermind, figured it out.
OK. That is NOT an OBJ file in there so "model tool" will NOT work on it. You need to get it out of SketchUp in a OBJ format. That requires SketchUp Pro, which you said you do not have. Your options as far as I see them are (in order of difficulty):
1. Buy SketchUp Pro
2. Rebuild you model in Wings3D
3. Rebuild your model in Blender
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

It says it is an .obj and the file type says Obj
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Mark_IV wrote:It says it is an .obj and the file type says Obj
The filename saying .obj doesn't mean that the content is .obj too. It's contents still look like a SketchUp model or scene to me.
To create a proper OBJ file you need to "Export" your SketchUp work to the "Model Tool .OBJ" format.

You could also ask someone to export it to .obj if you dont own the necessary software to do that (by putting your original sketchup file here for example).