don't let BZFlag die

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: don't let BZFlag die

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

If BZFlag dies it's because it has lost its way. Instead of focusing on general gameplay and ease-of-play the newer releases have only been on focused on excluding people by voting bans and kicks, global bans, making camping impossible, censorship and registration. In the past BZFlag was easy to jump into and start playing immediately.The maps were simple and the admins were mostly nonexistent.

I noticed that the new 3.0 focuses mainly on visuals, ultra-complex maps and censorhip. If this continues only a few dozen hardcore players will remain, the ones who have grown with the game. Maybe someone should fork BZFlag and start anew, reverting back to its old simplistic roots. What we need is the good ol' turn-of-the-century BZFlag with no censorhip and no wings.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Godson2 wrote:If BZFlag dies it's because it has lost its way. Instead of focusing on general gameplay and ease-of-play the newer releases have only been on focused on excluding people by voting bans and kicks, global bans, making camping impossible, censorship and registration. In the past BZFlag was easy to jump into and start playing immediately.The maps were simple and the admins were mostly nonexistent.

I noticed that the new 3.0 focuses mainly on visuals, ultra-complex maps and censorhip. If this continues only a few dozen hardcore players will remain, the ones who have grown with the game. Maybe someone should fork BZFlag and start anew, reverting back to its old simplistic roots. What we need is the good ol' turn-of-the-century BZFlag with no censorhip and no wings.
  • The poll system has existed since 1.10.0.
  • The global ban system isn't really used at all anymore.
  • Making "camping impossible" isn't anything to do with BZFlag development - that would be the map developers that decide that.
Anyways, let us know when you fork the game and make it all great and stuff.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

The global ban system works, I can assure you.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Godson2 wrote:The global ban system works, I can assure you.
Uhm... you have never been globally banned, I CAN assure you. I think what you believe to be a global ban is actually just a server network (ie norang) propagating the ban from one of its maps across all of its maps/servers.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I never said it doesn't work. I said we don't really use it anymore.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Godson2 wrote:What we need is the good ol' turn-of-the-century BZFlag with no censorhip and no wings.
You may have to set up your own server to get the badwords filtering turned off. There are plenty of maps without wings (and even without jumping), but they aren't very popular any more. Maybe if you seed one (be the first player there) others will join and you'll have fun.
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Cobra_Fast wrote:You could put a "Register Callsign" button on the bzflag.org front page which would then be pointing to the initial bb-registration site.
What about putting a register callsign button right the main screen when people open up the game?
Cobra_Fast wrote:
diing for the team wrote:I did not register until I went to boxy wars and you couldn't speak unless you were registered.
exact same thing happened to me.
Me too! I miss Boxy Wars :( :(
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

In-game registration is definitely something we want at some point. We also want registration to be it's own web application and not the forum registration.

Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

It would be good for global groups to move out of the forum system. I imagine it to be a complex system now.
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Dr Robotnik wrote:It would be good for global groups to move out of the forum system. I imagine it to be a complex system now.
Very true indeed.

Blast has written up two articles: http://my.bzflag.org/w/Group_Management_System laying out the group management system and http://my.bzflag.org/w/Web_Services/Player_Portal laying out the new registration/player information center

In the near future, the BZFlag admins want to move registration out of the forums and have the forums be, well, just forums.

Although this is a concept, if you have programming skills and want to help out, join #bzflag on irc.freenode.net and talk to blast about it.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I didn't write the initial version of the group management system documentation (nor most/any of the code for the group manager that had been started before). I just recently updated that page a bit.

sos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sos »

zaphod wrote:sorry ::: sounds pessimistic but general player activity goes really downhill ...!
Sorry to say, but people usally quits this game when admins banning you for false reasons. Not saying that you have something to do with this, I talk about other admins.

edited to remove complaints against specific admins
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

sos wrote:edited to remove complaints against specific admins
If you have a problem with an admin, pm them here on the board. If they are no use and you feel further need to pursue the issue, pm the server owner on which you were banned.

99% of the time, admins are banning for the right reason. On the rare occasion that there is a mixup, contact them.

Trust me, I know. I've done it before ;)
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

Main reason i think is tooo hard to rego and tuff esecially for leagues
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

just googeling "free-online-games" ...
1st in my list is freeonlinegames.com
using their search option (among many hundreds of games) for bzflag returned :::

0 results for bzflag

I personally believe this is the problem for the continuous loss of activity!

the dev-team is working hard and maybe one day the V3 will be available ... but for whom if nobody takes care of making BZFlag known?
what about a marketing-team next to the developper-team to get BZFlag at least close to the 1st page for a "free-online-games" search?

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

zaphod:
first off, freeonlinegames.com is exactly what it says. so bzflag shouldnt be found in there. those are all flash games that you play in your browser. secondly, there are thousands of free games with way more appeal than bzflag. the eye candy for bzflag is not top notch. really, i dont think bzflag is dying. bzflag's community is constantly fluctuating.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

zaphod wrote:the dev-team is working hard
We are?
zaphod wrote:and maybe one day the V3 will be available
Yes, "maybe".

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Stage one... nearly complete. Four more to go
ImageJeffM
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

[sarcasm]well then I guess everything is all right and activity comes back all by itself ... ufff and I was so worried.[/sarcasm]
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

As everything else bzflag has it's ups and downs, too. I think, it's just part of a cycle we 're in.
However, I 've the uncertain feeling that the 2teamleauge could change a lot. Of course you got to give it time, it wouldn 't change from today to tomorrow, but after a few month it could have helped us to more activity. Especially in the leagues.

Anyway, this inactivity is just sorting all the unprofessionals out.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

League activity has little to no bearing on the development progress.

FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

All we need is a little viral marketing.
Release a version with custom skins. George Bush on an Elephant, Barrack Obama on a Donkey, Sarah Palin on a Moose, Hillary Clinton on Bill's back and the rogue Osama bin Laden on a magic carpet, all shooting "LIES" at each other.
Make a YouTube video with a link where to download the game.
Problem solved!
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Someone could actually creat a facebook advert.
Attachments
facebook_advert_bz.jpeg
facebook_advert_bz.jpeg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Knox wrote:Someone could actually creat a facebook advert.
Who's gonna pay for it? You?
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Cobra_Fast wrote:Who's gonna pay for it? You?
Than tell me, how do you want to promote BZFlag without paying for it? Is there a special free service?
You know, we 're talking about getting hundred, or thousand people to play BZFlag, not just a few?