Old server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
indrish
Private
Private

Old server

Post by indrish »

I haven't playeded bzflag in a while but about 2-3 years ago, there was a server that I can't find anymore but have the description of:

platform on four corners and a walk-way that you took to get to the side diagonal to you, so, in a sense, all the four corner platforms met in the center via a walkway.

along the wall, halfway between each platform was another isolated platform in the middle.

there were two helix staircases that you could take to climb to the very very top.

there were also four teleporter things in the middle of the map facing the walls which you could take to get to the top

the four corner platforms had a pyramid roof and space to crawl underneath.

it wasn't capture the flag. there were the usual teams but no team flags and bases.

It was one of the more popular servers from a few years back (near the top of server list search a lot of the time).

Anyone know what server I'm talking about?
blast
General
General

Re: Old server

Post by blast »

Maybe you're thinking of SpiralZone? It used to run on a server called Secretplace.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

indrish
Private
Private

Post by indrish »

YES!!! THat's the one. Any chance you'll run it again? It was a fun map
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't have the map, nor did I run that one. Not sure if that map was posted anywhere.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

According to this thread from four years ago, it was not posted anywhere. But already back then people were asking for it to return.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

It comes up from time to time... but not real frequently
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
mdskpr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mdskpr »

ill host it on my port from BZAddict.net! ty cobra 4 the link..like everyone i luved spiralzone : )
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Not sure if that is allowed.

Don't think it was ever released under a license so hosting it without permission from the author would be a violation of copyright laws.
mdskpr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mdskpr »

oh ok, ill remove it. ty apple for saving my skin so I don't need a lawyer : )
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

mrapple wrote:Don't think it was ever released under a license so hosting it without permission from the author would be a violation of copyright laws.
Did you say that just because you can't find it on this forum? There were other ways of releasing maps back then. I know spirals was hosted by junker for a while (maybe still is) and I think zaphod has a port up with it. It is not really useful to guess what the author's intention was. Finding out who made it and asking would be the most direct approach.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Good call Constitution, junker still does host it from time to time. He worked really hard to get the settings just right.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
mdskpr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mdskpr »

Wiz made it IIRC
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

All I'm saying I couldn't find it as released or a certain license specified with it.

Always best to play it safe. Your call wether or not to host it.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Do i recall the name "WHAMMO!" or something like that coming up with this server? does that ring any bells?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

WHAMMO! played there, but did not make the map. He made WHAMMO! World, which had the 2 helicopters firing GMs at each other.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I believe it was BZDoug that made it. There are several versions of the map on the BZFlag SourceForge site under the Maps tracker.

mdskpr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mdskpr »

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not sure how these compare to the version listed on the list MDSKPR linked to, but:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de ... tid=423059