GeForce FX5200

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
rcx21000
Private First Class
Private First Class

GeForce FX5200

Post by rcx21000 »

I'm building a new comp on my bday (grrrrr.... my moms making me wait tooooooo long :evil:) And I have a FX5200 for it... And for some reason I'm worried that it can't play BZFlag at a good FPS :wink: Soooo... Can anyone with a FX5200 tell me how many FPS BZFlag runs (VSync on or off, just tell me which. All BZFlag options like shadows/blending... on. Quality high, and texturing Liniar Minimap Liniar)...

thx :)

EDIT: Also on a server with 15-20 ppls :)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

On secretplace, at 1024x768x32, I get an average of 35FPS with shadows on and about 50 without. On many servers I can max out my V-Sync at 85FPS and go beyond 120 when I turn V-Sync off. I have the PCI version, so the AGP should perform a little better. Also, my processor is on the slow side at a Pentium III 800MHz. Those tests were will the lower quality textures at the Experimental quality. I typically play without shadows to give myself a FPS boost.
Last edited by blast on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

with the AGP version/550 MHz Xeon, on xmission, high qual, nearsest mipmap nearest, shadows off, lighting off, everything else on, 1024x768 70-80fps., vsync off

.....that was sometime ago, so those numbers are rough.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It really depends on the map. The more objects the more BZ has to sort.

any of the FX class chips will draw faster then BZ can send it data. So with the present "engine" ( I use the term loosley) it's all about how fast your CPU an chug thru the objects and figure out what is visible.

1.11 will have a more optimised rendering sytem and will get faster and look better.

a FX 5200 should be plenty fine for BZ. I used to have one and it ran perfect. It's a good cheap card.
ImageJeffM
rcx21000
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rcx21000 »

Thx :) And I'm getting a 2500+ AMD CPU, so it should be fast enough :P
julesthejackal
Private First Class
Private First Class

FPS

Post by julesthejackal »

Hi again everyone :D

On my personal computer
Athlon 2000XP, ATI 9000 Pro with 64 megs of DDR, and 512megs on mobo I get about 150-350 FPS with everything maxed out (depends on the map of course) on Windows XP Pro

My server with a 900mhz Duron and an ATI Rage Pro with 32 megs of SDR ram gets only about 25 to 50 FPS with no lighting and smoothing off and make sure the depth-buffer is on also. Thats on Debian Linux.

Thats just a range from one extrem to the next. I fell your card and specks should at least give you 100 FPS on a simple map like BZ_Spirals.

Make sure you upgrade your driver and disable your onboard video (if you have it) thru your BIOS meun.

I hope this will help you out abit :wink: