BZFlag map editor for Ubuntu

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag map editor for Ubuntu

Post by fox in the fog »

I'm on GNU/Linux Operating System... And I need a BZFlag map editor for Ubuntu, possibly that isn't impossible to install or to use (like blender, too difficult for a man that doesn't know English and informatic....) I did many many research, but Cobra_fast said me there isn't a map editor for Ubuntu.... Is Wings 3D good for create BZFlag map? I have 20 BZFlag's maps on my computer, but they are .bzw and Wings 3D can't read them! and so? I need to throw all them or there is something that can I do? Thanks
Last edited by fox in the fog on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: What about your operating system?

Post by alezakos »

Erm... I think this is OFF-TOPIC, anyway, check out http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 25&start=0

Check out http://ratbzedit.sourceforge.net/index.html

BZEditWin32 may be compatible with wine.
macsforme
General
General

Re: BZFlag map editor for Ubuntu

Post by macsforme »

Again, please start a new topic for a significant change in subject matter rather than re-using an old one.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd say to compile BZWorkBench and see if that suits your needs.

This might still be accurate:
http://bzexcess.com/2009/11/bzworkbench-on-linux/
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

If you want to edit your old maps on wings3d do this trick.
Load the existing world file into a bzflag server and join it.
use this command /saveworld -o yourmap.obj
The -o command saves the map in .obj format, which wings will definitely import.

When you find the wings' menu command for "import wavefront (obj)" you will see a little box next to it. Select that box to set the import preferences. Be sure to check "Swap Y and Z axis" or your map will be sideways.
I like to use an import scale of .025, and the bzflag export scale from wings should be set to match, at 40.
Another tip.. when you first import the .obj you will see an object named BZGround. Delete it, you don't need it.

Two hours using the tutorial that downloads with wings is highly recommended for newbies.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Sorry again Constitution and blast! I thought I had understood....!
Thanks Optic delusion, your help with -o yourmap.obj was great! :) On Ubuntu, the file saved with /saveworld -o mymap.obj where is going to be saved? In the Home?
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

it goes here ~/.bzf/worlds/mymap.obj
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Many many thanks Optic!!!
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I hope this video I have made will be helpful for all the BZFlag players would like to download, import and edit the map with a program we can easily download by Synaptic on Ubuntu
This is the link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K32DmChPx4
the video was recorded under ubuntu 10.10 with RecordMyDesktop software.

--ATTENTION--
if you use "my" method to edit the map, note that probably after you have uploaded the new map file (edit with Wings 3D) you will have on-line a really small map all white... I was really angry when I saw for the first time my map scaled down and all white :P! To remedy to this mistake, you have to follow the tutorial i have attached on this post (given to me by the BZAddict management). Or, make the map with a good text editor and maybe also with the help of a graphical editor under windows :D

edit----
DISCLAIMER: (added by joevano)
Please note that in the video he saves a map which has never been released to users with an open license. You could not use this map on a public server before or after editing it.
Attachments
UV Mapping.pdf
(865.4 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Last edited by fox in the fog on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Yes joevano, in the video made by me I saved a map never been released with an open license, I know it; but I don't want to public this map. I have only done a video to demonstrate how to use Wings 3D. My maps are all made by me... why should I publish a map that already exists perfectly equal?????? :)