Assigning permissions to a single user

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Assigning permissions to a single user

Post by catking00 »

how do you give people more perms than others? like if 2 people are admin but one should have more perms than the other how do i do it?
I reject your reality and substitute my own
joevano
General
General

Re: Request Global Permission Groups here

Post by joevano »

How did you know what groups you needed if you do not even understand the concept of how to assign permissions to them??

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=6516
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Request Global Permission Groups here

Post by catking00 »

i do understand how. but i dont understand how to give 1 person perms that no one else has even tho they are in the same group
blast
General
General

Re: Assigning permissions to a single user

Post by blast »

Posts split out of the group request thread since they don't belong.

Anyways, there are a few ways. The normal way is just to have a different group that gives them those rights.

Another way would be local groups (which is bad to use). And finally, a plugin could assign specific users additional rights based on their BZid, but I do not believe such a plugin exists to the public.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

which groups would allow that? can i put more then one person it it and have both of them have different perms?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

No. A group has the permissions and ALL users in that group inherit those same permissions, no matter which way you do it. (Again, I refer to my first post in the thread)
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

really? because I've seen people in the same group have different perms. there was 2 people in the same group and 1 has /say but the other didnt
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

catking00 wrote:really? because I've seen people in the same group have different perms. there was 2 people in the same group and 1 has /say but the other didnt
Uhm.. we (blast and joevano) have servers which are very successful and you do not. We know what we are talking about. We (same we as before) might even be bzflag developers who might know a thing or two about the game...
If I were you, I would listen to what we have to say. ;-)

My guess on that is that one of the users had an additional group that DID have /say permissions. Again I will refer you to my original post. Everything you could need to know is in there.
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

ok, but i would still like to have certain users have different perms. do i have to make a separate group for each user? if i do then its not worth it
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You have no business running a server if you cannot get the concepts. End of story! Groups are worth it... and require planning BEFORE they are requested.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Rather than allocating different perms to each user, bzflag groups are set up so that you can split up your admins into categories (aka "groups") and allocate perms to each category/group. You can then put your admins into the different categories/groups as you please. If you want every admin to have a unique set of permissions (why?), then yes you would need to create a separate group for each set of permissions you want to assign and then place your admins into your groups accordingly. Obviously, it is not feasible for us to create a global group for each admin you have on your server, which is why we created several categories of admins (i.e., owner, admin, cop, hidden) so you can split people up the way you want. You can assign any permissions you like to each category. It sounds like you just requested those groups because you saw other people request the same thing, without really knowing what they meant...
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

im just confused with the groups if people can have different perms even tho they are in the same group. but now i get it
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

i want it because some people are very experienced and some arent. so i would like a seperate group that is for maybe advanced admins and beginner cops
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You do... they are called: ADAM_CATKING.COP and ADAM_CATKING.ADMIN

Now if you want something like an ADAM_CATKING.COP and ADAM_CATKING.BEGINNER_COP, what permissions would be different? I guess my question is, have you planned out what you want FIRST? Once you have figured out what permissions you want different groups to have then you know how many groups you will need and that will tell you how many groups to request.
catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

oh there is something below cop? is there something above admin but before owner and hidden?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That's up to you. The game does not define any groups, just permissions. YOU are the one that has to decide who gets what permissions.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

catking00
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catking00 »

ok thanks then i'll be posting for more groups soon
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I don't know... you tell me. There is no such thing as an admin, cop, or owner. Those are just names that people use to describe general groups of permissions. On my server(s) we have NORANG.JRADMIN, NORANG.SRADMIN, and NORANG.TRADMIN . It is whatever YOU want... not just what everyone else does. Again, I do not think you are even close to ready to being able to run a server.
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

STEP 1. Edit the groupdb and add another group (like MINICOPS or SUPERCOPS or MINIADMINS or SUPERADMINS) that has the permissions you want it to have.
STEP 2. Add

Code: Select all

-usrdb usrdb
in your config file
STEP 3. Login with the account whose a permission should be removed or added
STEP 4. Edit the file called "userdb" and be sure to add the group (e.g MINICOPS) below the callsign, after LOCAL.GLOBAL
STEP 5 (OPTIONAL). Go to IRC for more info
STEP 6 (OPTIONAL). Something nice is:
  • Player/Whitelist
  • Minicop/Guard
  • Cop
  • Admin
  • Trusted
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Using a userdb is NOT recommended because it is tied to a player name, not their account. If they change their name and someone else takes their old name, that other user will then gain permissions that you did not intend for them to have. Using/writing a plugin that instead adds additional permissions based on the BZid (account number) of the user is the best option if you really need to add permissions to an individual user.