New tank skins for you to try.

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

New tank skins for you to try.

Post by optic delusion »

I've been experimenting with camoflage, shown here is an electric blue and a digital green camo tank.

If you know how to rename and add new textures to your BZ application, please try them out and give me your opinion. The electric set is complete and highly recommended. They are in this directory. http://images.planet-mofo.com/A-Delusio ... rge/skins/
More textures may appear in the near future. Don't forget to first rename the original textures.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: New tank skins for you to try.

Post by Cobra_Fast »

I looked through them and noticed that electric-purple looks more like pink to me what also makes it hard to distinguish them from electric-red tanks.
Although, I think these textures look pretty cool and I'd like to know what they were made with (especially that electric). Good Work!
nEW playe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nEW playe »

Nice work!
I really like them! I'm now using them by default. :mrgreen:
What texture algorithm did you use to create the "electric"? Was it done in Blender?

nEW playe
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

oooooh awesome,

I have played with this type of thing before, but I only got as far as making red team orange team.
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
Gamma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma »

using them right now :) very nice. Good job.

...BZFlag Forever.
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

How do u add these?
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

If you are under Windows, you can find it under your Program Files > BZFlagX.X.X > data folder.
Next you have to save the textures as the names you want to replace them with. So for example:
Replace blue_tank.png with electric_blue.png by renaming electric_blue.png to blue_tank.png.
That will overwrite the default blue tank texture upon next BZFlag boot. I recommend backing up your default textures, so you don't have to find the old textures if you do not like the new ones.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Or change the names to "blue_electric.png", "red_electric.png", "green_electric.png", etc. Then change the line in your config file that reads:

#set tankTexture tank

to

set tankTexture electric

This way you still have both the electric and original mappings intact and can quickly switch between them whenever you want (outside of play, of course), by simply editing one file instead of having to move and rename multiple files each time.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

Thanks sigonasr2 and avatar!!
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Neat work. Kudos to you for these packs. Electric is now the default I'm using.
The S
PlasticTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PlasticTank »

Textures look they were made in filter forge. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, how did you get a separate texture for the treads, I believe bzflag used the same texture for the whole tank.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

You guessed it, it's filterforge, which has recently been updated to version 2. There's a free 30 day trial, and after trying it, i had to break down and purchase it. It's very cool. I'm pretty sure I can apply LGPL license to textures made with it. Some info is at the bottom of this page.
http://www.filterforge.com/wiki/index.php/10q
I Wish I had some good ideas (and talent) for base textures. I would like to make complete skin sets. If anybody has some decent artwork for that, I'd like to see it.

I don't think there is a texture on the treads. It's just a color? I'm not sure how that works because the model is hard coded into the app. The .obj format model that Jeff provided in the wiki does not include the treads as shown above. The treads.obj is something else I'd like to have, actually.
You can see the treads by changing your BZFlag settings at -->Options-->Effects-->Display Treads.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

To answer the question,
2.99.x code uses a separate treads texture.
PlasticTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PlasticTank »

Sorry I should have recognized the client. The mountains in 2.99x are new so it's a dead giveaway. I've looked into filter forge, it is a really neat plugin/app. It's very good at making tile-able designs and backgrounds.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

So, if I have understand, I can change on the configuration the line "set tankTexture tank" to "set tankTexture electric" or something like that and I can play with these cool texture!!?? Before do this I need to download the texture and copy that in a particular folders?? Please, tell me, I would like to know... :D
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

sigonasr2 wrote:If you are under Windows, you can find it under your Program Files > BZFlagX.X.X > data folder.
Next you have to save the textures as the names you want to replace them with. So for example:
Replace blue_tank.png with electric_blue.png by renaming electric_blue.png to blue_tank.png.
That will overwrite the default blue tank texture upon next BZFlag boot. I recommend backing up your default textures, so you don't have to find the old textures if you do not like the new ones.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Bambino... But I have Ubuntu 10.10
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

This is why I did not give any instructions in my original post.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It works for Ubuntu as well. You just have to find the location of the data files. Use the tools of your OS...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Ah, I know where is the data files of BZFlag, but than, I need to change the normal skin and copy in the new skin? where Can I found the skins...?
I will try, than if I can't, I will post here the data files for more help... Ok? thanks
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I can't play with another skin, I don't know how to do it I don't know where download the new skins, I don't want to make mistakes!! So, can somebody explain to me step for step how change the skin on Ubuntu 10.10?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Search your computer for the other textures and put the new ones there. And didn't someone already tell you were to put them in the other thread you've been asking this question?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)