cant find bzfs.conf

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

cant find bzfs.conf

Post by cepris »

Hey, on http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_a_serve ... our_Server it says:
In this step, you specify all the server options. The cleanest way to accomplish this is to create a configuration file. Fortunately, the BZFlag installation provides you with a sample configuration file that you can modify according to your wishes. You will find this file in the directory where you installed BZFlag under a subdirectory called misc. The file is named bzfs.conf. Open bzfs.conf in a text editor (in windows, notepad will be just fine; in GNU/Linux, Unix, Debian, etc.. : vi would work nice).

Read through bzfs.conf to understand all the options. Remove the # sign on the lines corresponding to the options you want to set. Add # at the beginning of the line if you don't want that option. After you have finished your changes, you can save that file with a different name (this will be helpful if you want to run server with different configurations: just save many files with different names).
Unfortunately, I cant find "bzfs.conf" anywhere on my computer, so, I am stuck :cry: can anyone help me??
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: cant find bzfs.conf

Post by JeffM »

you make one, it's just a text file
ImageJeffM
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

What about the sample one, I don't have that, is there anywhere I can get one?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there is one in the misc dir in the source code tree
ImageJeffM
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

I don't have a misc folder lol..
I use ubuntu 10.04 and got BZFlag from Ubuntu Downloads Center, if that would help.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

JeffM wrote:[...]in the source code tree
That means NOT in the stuff which ships with the installer or release packages.
=> http://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv ... iew=markup
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, do NOT use the sample configuration. It will just confuse you and you will end up with a server that doesn't run. Read the documentation (man bzfs and/or bzfs -help) and actually understand what options you are adding. Typically if you don't know what an option does, you don't need it.

And my last tip: Make your configuration file gradually. Add an option or two at a time and TEST. Then you know what option broke something. If you start out with an 80 line configuration file and it doesn't work it will be a lot harder to debug.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Alright, thanks to both of you :)