Acceleration Limit

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Acceleration Limit

Post by click click boom »

Seems like some players don't know why ducati servers were accelerated limit a couple of years back, could we please give some insight to these players?

can the devs chime in on the effects of a fast mouse along with low fps, concerning shot throughs?

Thank you,
ccb
macsforme
General
General

Re: Acceleration Limit

Post by macsforme »

If you're looking for a technical explanation, could you first provide a technical meaning for the term "shot throughs"? Presumably you mean a shot appears to come close enough to a tank so that it should explode, but it does not. However, it is already widely known that network latency and discrepancies impact where a tank is drawn on the screen, while actual collisions between shots and tanks are determined by the client that owns that tank. The bounding area for shot collisions and hit detection algorithm are obediently executed by the client the same way each time, but all shot detections are bound by the limitations of the detection algorithm. So in one sense, there is no such thing as a "shot through," because if a shot is detected as a hit by the code, it is a hit. On the other hand, people only see a visual representations the computer represents of the simulated reality, which is imperfect and does not always show what is going on inside.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The faster a player can change direction and speed, the longer the remote simulation is out of sync, and thus has a greater chance of having a shot go into a tank that really isn't there.
ImageJeffM
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

My comments are in layman's terms because I don't know the technical words that should be used in the programing world. Presumably what I mean is, shots that are noticed as local collisions that are going through tanks could be caused my "mouse enhancement/ low fps"

So my question would be does "mouse enhancement/ low fps" cause visual shot throughs on my screen/radar?

And if "mouse enhancement/ low fps" doesn't cause shot throughs there would be no point of have acceleration limit on ducati servers.

We all know lag plays a part of shot throughs so I don't need a explanation on how shot throughs happen..

ty.
ccb

I would like a explanation in "LAYMAN'S" terms, not all of us are educated in the technical field of computer programming.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Jeff wrote one while you were writing your post.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes it can, if you have low frame rate you will not send out updates very fast. if you change direction and speed very fast, then the remote players won't see you in your correct position because your updates are still being transmitted to them. This will mean that they could see a shot go though you on there screen but on your screen you dodged it.
ImageJeffM
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

So the theory behind ducati using acceleration limit on ducati servers would be to slow down the rate a player can change speeds, thus having less shot throughs?

Now I know most of these answers but seems like a lot of these players don't and we need to even out the playing field.

Having a extremely low fps also allows further jumps, has anything technically confirmed this?, through my testing I have found this to be true.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the slower and more consistent the speed and direction changes the better the remote simulation can be. The better the remote simulation is then it is less likey that a player will shoot where you are not.

Low FPS is the same as high lag, The bzflag networking system was not designed to handle internet play so it does not deal with these things well.
ImageJeffM