server ports wont forward

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
yourmom
Private First Class
Private First Class

server ports wont forward

Post by yourmom »

I have my server set up and ready to go but I cant get my ports forwarded properly. I have my router port forwarding the ports to my static ip and i even have my ip DMZ'ed. I even tried the server when my pc was hooked up directly to the modem bypassing the router. I have my windows firewall completely turned off in the control panel but nothing has worked for me.

thanks for the help,
yourmom
Owner @ Yourmom
macsforme
General
General

Re: server ports wont forward

Post by macsforme »

How have you determined it doesn't work? What steps have you tried? Did you try to connect to it from the local machine? From outside the network? Did you try joining the #bzflag IRC channel on Freenode and having ibot query the server? You should tell us what you did to test it. Simply saying "nothing has worked" doesn't give us enough information to help you.
yourmom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yourmom »

I've tried on localhost and it works but once I try from outside the network it can't connect.
Owner @ Yourmom
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

yourmom wrote:I've tried on localhost and it works but once I try from outside the network it can't connect.
Ok, so it works but you really haven't given us anything to go on. So here goes my attempt: You're doing it wrong! ;-)

I would make sure you are forwarding the ports correctly on your router. You can check out http://portforward.com/ for help on that. I know on one router I had I had to forward the ports and then set up a firewall rule as well.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm just going to say that you probably either can't run servers (since you are on comcast residental, if I recall correctly) or have no idea about basic networking concepts.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

yourmom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yourmom »

whats the deal with comcast residential? :(
Owner @ Yourmom
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

They don't want you hosting services on the residential connection. They want you to pay more for a business account (which probably costs a good deal more). You'd be better off getting a VPS or dedicated server somewhere.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

yourmom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yourmom »

alright thanks blast once again
Owner @ Yourmom