Help with Bzflag servers on Windows 7?

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
dsfhdsuihsdi
Private
Private

Help with Bzflag servers on Windows 7?

Post by dsfhdsuihsdi »

I am running Windows 7, and I want to run a server.
Whenever my friend Wildrune11 comes over to my house and trys to host it,
it comes out as TOMMYBAI-PC which is my computer name in the place where the bzexcess.com goes.
Also it doesn't come out the server description ( title ) when you are finding a public server on Bzflag.
Can anyone please help me out?
We have created a server address - droivenga.dyndns.com < I think.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Help with Bzflag servers on Windows 7?

Post by Cobra_Fast »

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS this article is a good point to start with when messing with servers for the first time.
For detailed info on how to configure your server see http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_Command_Line_Options
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Assuming you're trying to play over the LAN only, just connect to the IP address of his computer. Don't think the local name resolution works right.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

No, he wants to start his own server. It's really odd.. I use Ubuntu, but it all works fine on my computer.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I said nothing about not wanting to start a server, nor did Cobra. Please read what people say.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Yeah but this post is about starting a server
dsfhdsuihsdi
Private
Private

Post by dsfhdsuihsdi »

blast, maybe you should read what other people say and read the thread properly.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Droivenga wrote:blast, maybe you should read what other people say and read the thread properly.
Umh he did... sounds to me like you are the one coming here for help. You are trying to play a game on a local lan (read your question again), which is a valid configuration. If you are trying to start a PUBLIC server you need to say so, WE ARE NOT MIND READERS. Also, being a smart ass will not get you any help here. Move along.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You guys should read MY post. I said I never said anything about NOT wanting to run a server. Do you have the inability to process double negatives or something? I thought they taught that kind of stuff in school.

See, I know what the problem is. You are running a server on the LAN, and your clients are doing local detection (which I believe uses either broadcast or a multicast). However, the detection code picks up the short computer name (perhaps the NetBIOS name) of the server, which generally cannot be resolved to an IP address in our client, since we try to resolve using DNS, not NetBIOS. Soooooo, what I said was to just put in the IP address of the computer that is running the server. Then it should let you connect.

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Okay.. well I wasn't the one doing that I have nothing to do with this.. it's a PUBLIC SERVER he wants to make. It's really strange because we set up all the right configuration, everything I did for my Public server, and it comes out as TommyBai-PC, and no description on the public list.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

First of all, don't bother hosting a public server on Windows. Second of all, you'll need to learn how to configure the network (and then, of course, not using that locally discovered item when you want to connect). You could probably add -q to the server config to turn that off.