Server won't find config file

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Lieutenant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server won't find config file

Post by Lieutenant »

I am running Windows 7, and am using the CMD to open a server. When I navigate to the bzflag folder, use bzfs -conf (filename), it fails to find the conf. I tried putting it in the bzflag folder, the home folder. Is there any specific folder i should put it in, or am i doing anything else wrong?
blast
General
General

Re: Server won't find config file

Post by blast »

Specify the full path or use the proper relative path to your current working directory. bzfs doesn't search for your config.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Lieutenant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lieutenant »

Do I start from C:/ ??
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I'd start with C:\ ;) Use the absolute path so you know it can't go wrong.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Lieutenant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lieutenant »

I started in my home folder, it still isn't working. This is what I did:

cd ../../
(that took me to C:\)
cd "Program Files (x86)"
cd "BZFlag2.0.16"
(that took me to the BZFlag directory, where bzfs is installed so I could run it)
bzfs -conf "C:\Users\Tommy Bai\laserstike.conf"

And then I got an error saying it couldn't find the file. Thats where the file is, and it isn't working for some reason. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you open up notepad, go to the Open dialog, and put in "C:\Users\Tommy Bai\laserstike.conf", does it open your config?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

I'm having the same problem I guess I could just type it all in in the console but I don't have the time to do that everytime I run a server :(. I should just be able to type

Code: Select all

bzfs -conf C:\Programs and Files \bzflag2.0.16\msg Config.conf
right?
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every tine we fail. -Confucious
Most people that make fun of Linux usually haven't even tried running Linux and are just guessing its bad because its open source.
TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

I accidentally had too meny spaces and I forgot a \ but nevermind those errors ;).
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every tine we fail. -Confucious
Most people that make fun of Linux usually haven't even tried running Linux and are just guessing its bad because its open source.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

also, you need double quotes around that path since it has spaces. (as in, bzfs -conf "C:\Program Files\BZFlag 2.0.16\msg Config.conf")

TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

I was using my ipod to send the messages above so there were a lot of problems there but now that I think of it I really did forget the double quotes in the actual CMD :O. I tired it and it still didn't work :(
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Then you are doing it wrong... that will work providing the path is correct and valid. Post your ACTUAL error message and ACTUAL command and we will be able to tell you EXACTLY what you are doing wrong.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

I typed in bzfs -conf "C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.16\misc Config" and I get

Error: could not find configuration file
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

TankAce wrote:I typed in bzfs -conf "C:\Program Files\bzflag2.0.16\misc Config"
Which is what you did wrong. You need to point -conf to a file. For example, the file is named config.cfg and is located in C:\configs\, then you would run bzfs -conf "C:\Configs\config.cfg". BZFS doesn't excuse any spelling mistakes, so double-check your file-paths if you got trouble with them.
TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

Now it keeps saying

bad argument "and"
ill figure it out later thank you for helping me. And I also figured out I had config.conf instead of config.cfg xD.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Then your config.cfg itself is wrong. You probably forgot quotes around a value that has spaces, such as your public description.

TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

I'm trying to do a LAN party so I don't even have a public description right? I'll take another look at the cfg thanks.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, you've got something with an "and" as the second word. And I said "such as", meaning "as an example". There's lots of other things that take a string that can contain spaces. The server message and advertisement message are two more common ones that contain spaces. Essentially, if something is supposed to take a single value, and that valid is a string of text that contains spaces, you need to put it in double quotes.

TankAce
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TankAce »

Yes I know I was just a little curios if I really did need something like that... Anyway I think it was in msg: have fun AND play nice I can fix that easily though thanks for everyones help.