Rufus Server admin/owner?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rufus Server admin/owner?

Post by CapN »

Hey all,

I'm addicted to the rufus.homeunix.org server, .....there ...I said it!!! Does anyone know who's server it is? Like all servers without admins around...there are many teammate killers....some lame guys spamming....and all sorts of nonense.

Tonight, people were putting the flag in the crack of a building on the map where you couldnt get to it.

Other than those annoying things its great!!! :? Its pretty fun for a change from ducati. Was hoping to contact the server owner to at least let others help him/her watch over the place, maybe add a lag kick and idle kick.
-CapN-

Oh i forgot one thing....NO i wont be playing as CapN there...but you will probably figure out which one is me. :)
creeperz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by creeperz »

CapN: I agree with yu there. I try that trick all the time but I usually got killed before I could drop the dang thing in the right place... But I at least made it accessable but not too easily. You had to angle yourself just right or you would die >:-) Yea, its a great server. its fun for a change ;-)
Mad at anger
---
"You can't pick up chicks in a tank!" --Tucker (Blue Team)
---
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

ya know, I was noticing that same problem last night. Remember kids, it's a CTF server, not an FFA server.

We tried to get them flags outta there, but no joy. I think that whoever does own the server should slap a pyramid in those 2 cracks to fix that map 'bug'.

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

i was thinking on this last night, and really that should be a bug.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

Indeed it should. The server should be intelligent enough to compare overlapping blocks enough so that it can determine if a flag can rest there (but I have no idea how to do that logically, without a big giant block o code). I'll leave that to the smarter folk :)

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
Rebel Chikorita

Post by Rebel Chikorita »

i think da rufus map iz generated randomly , jus like ducati or quols CTF . so those kindsa cracks may appear . i think da host changes da map every week , bcuz it looks different from wen it first started . ther iz a trick to gettin da team flag outta tight spots (u can get a Narrow flag or Tiny flag an go in ther , drop it an pick upz da team flag , then wiggle ur way out ;)
1 time , wen da team flag was stuck ther , since ther werent dat many peeple on , wee asked dem all to go into observer mode so da flag would reset itself back to da base .
also , i think itz okay to vote-ban any player who repeatedly an intentionally puts da team flag into dat spot .

i agree ther r lottsa TKers an traitors<<<(peeple who intentionally sneak their own team flag to da other team base) on dat server . an annoyin peeps dat like to flood u wif spam messages ...

tho i havent seen any admins meeself , i have heard of 1 dat came around once an started kickin out all da bad peeps.. buh mor admins would definately b betta .
ive been askin peeple to register on dat server an taught quite a few playerz on how da poll/vote works . da best thing wee can do now iz ask da good honest playerz to register so they can help vote da bad peeps off...
itz very nice to c da poll/vote actually work :) i knew it was a good idea ;) so far i havent seen it bein abused at all , an wee have sucessfully kicked out alot of bad peeps wif it... yay

ive been playin ther since dat map first started upz an itz hella fun an InSaNeee! LoL
itz like ducati ..buh instead of a skirmish it feelz mor like a war :P

p.s.- watch out 4 da tank wif no name... he iz a notoriuos traitor an tker' ther . an very difficult- impossible to /poll ban .
dS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dS »

Looks to be an employee or student of the University of Rhode Island.

bash# nslookup 131.128.81.25
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: dyn-offices-81-25.cs.uri.edu
Address: 131.128.81.25

Nice enough server, but the incidental TKing can become frustrating. Hard not to TK once in awhile though with all the shots flying around, rico enabled and the random spawns. Action is pretty fast too so team comms can be difficult.

dS
aka MadSanta
Rebel Chikorita

OO flag might work too get da team flag unstuck.. sum1 did it earlier taday :)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I put up a "standard" map with the same options as rufus.....ie few flags, three shots, jumping two team...............I did this so there is an alternative to dealing with rufus issues since there are apparently plenty.

I did not copy rufus exactly, because, well.............that is basically rude, and whoever did put rufus up has a good idea for play, and should be recognized as such.

hopefully, the rufus admin can take some of this problems that have occurred and begin to migrate fixes.

my version will not be up long(day or two), so if you get stuck again, hop on over and play a little different style.

....and if you like it, i will rotate it in more often......maybe with some new 2 team ctf maps based on this style(hint, hint to the map makers out there).

(fyi rufus admin, if you are out there.......good show :) )
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
creeperz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by creeperz »

after about an hour and a half, pyrobunny and i got the flags reset. turns out that there are alot of ignorant *******s out there and they dont know how to go green or leave and then switch all back to red.
Mad at anger
---
"You can't pick up chicks in a tank!" --Tucker (Blue Team)
---
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CapN »

Thx Grumbler for offering the same set up. I guess part of the appeal was that his server handled 20 players pretty well. There is some lag but mostly just laggy players. There def. needs to be a lag kick, there is almost always a player on there with lag over 1 sec.!!

DS: Yeah I was on there once when admin came on, cant remember his callsign, but he did kick some TK'er off, and also mentioned he was at a University. I'm on there enough, hopefully will be there next time he comes on.

Chiko: The voting/poll does seem to work ok, just trying to get people registered etc. Also though the few constant people who go there to be annoying seem to have work arounds to it. The spam guy, Middleman, was not able to be voted off, maybe signed on as observor? Also, one other person, just kept signing on with a slightly different name. As a matter of fact he was initiating his own kick/ban on himself, then just came back as different name. So, I assume the ban/kick is based on call sign, not IP.

-CapN-
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

CapN wrote:So, I assume the ban/kick is based on call sign, not IP.
No, the ban is based off of IP, but some people have dynamic IP addresses. They can reconnect and get a new one, then join again.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CapN »

Thanks Blast. Its funny just this morning there was a new map on there. Some one put the flag in another spot that couldnt be retrieved, it was tiny opening on the border, we were trying to get the team to all log out, then the server crashed.

Seemed kinda suspicious, didnt know if some one some how caused that to happen. It has now been down for several hours. I'm sure that is possible for someone to do, was just curious if anyone knew for sure. I know the server has been down a few times over the past couple weeks.

-CapN-
Rebel Chikorita

dat server iz my new fav .
buh y do da few idiots hafta ruin da fun 4 every1 else? :(
i can only come 2 da conclusion ...dat weneva therz sumthin good dat comes around , evil peeps wil try to thwart it .

wee hafta fite dem

>:(

(p.s.- i think learna knows mor bout how Middleman was able to avoid bein poll-banned . he was switchin puters an switchin to a blank name or sumthin like dat.. not sure)