Help with bzrobots "how to run it?"

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
byrqowy
Private
Private

Help with bzrobots "how to run it?"

Post by byrqowy »

Hi guys. I need help. I don't know how to run bzrobots on bzflag how to do this ? And how i can program this robot and how to run serwer ?
i'm sitting on this couple of days and i cant find nothing about bzrobots, but many people are talking about this. I need this to my studies. I install bzflag on computer (with windows) and i don't find any application "bzrobots.exe" and I don't know where i can find it ? and how to use it on server. On wiki on this page
http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZRobots/API
i see methods but where i use it ? where wrote it ?
on this page
http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZRobots
they tells me how to quick run this program but I don't have this file "bzrobots.exe in folder bzflag
# cd bzflag
# bzrobots.exe -team red dllbot@localhost TestRobot.dll
on this page I see the bzrobots are little similar to robocode but in robocode we haw one application to edit robots and in bzflags i don't see it
http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZRobots/API_BZR ... ar_and_Gun

plz help me because i don't know what to do with this, i need to try implement a AI in robot but first i need to run this and run the robot editor or some thing like that

sorry about language :P I'm from Poland ;]
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Help with bzrobots "how to run it?"

Post by Yrogirg »

all this stuff about bzrobots and its API deals with bots in bzflag 3.0 (which in some sense doesn't exists right now).

In bzflag 2.0.x (which you have) there are no regular server-side bots. Indeed in 2.0.x there are two kind of robots --- solo bots (you have them with bzflag -solo NumberOfBots command) and autopilot bot (press 9 within game to enable autopilot).

None of these bots are programmable via some API, they are hardcoded into bzflag client (as far as I understand).

If for some reason you are still interested in bzflag 3.0 you can get it from svn http://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv ... 99archive/ However remember that 3.0 was left aside in favor of more realistic 2.4, 3.0 is buggy and is not being developed.
byrqowy
Private
Private

Post by byrqowy »

So in conclusion, there is no way to program my own robot in version 2.0 just like in robocode ?

-----------EDIT--------------

I download a 2.99 version and i see a folder named "bots" inside this folder i can see 3 others folders in folder "python" i see some robots like "RandomBot.py" "spinbot.py" etc. they work ? Can I edit them and run on bzflag ?

-----------EDIT--------------

supposing, can i edit "autopilot.cxx" make a server without any players and then connect to the server in other 2 PC in bzflag (with those autopilots) and run autopilot ? Can that work ? :D ?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

For BZRobots, you'd have to compile the entire 2.99.x code-base and run your own 2.99.x server. I also do not think that bzrobots worked on Windows, so you'd have to try it on Linux or OSX.

Personally, I've never used BZRobots, so I'm not sure how well it works.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

byrqowy wrote:So in conclusion, there is no way to program my own robot in version 2.0 just like in robocode?
correct.
ImageJeffM
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

>supposing, can i edit "autopilot.cxx"

Of course you can if you have the right skills.

>make a server without any players and then connect to the server in other 2 PC in bzflag (with those autopilots) and run autopilot ? Can that work ? :D ?

Yes, and all it can be done with one pc (a server and two clients running on a same computer).