BZAdmin

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZAdmin

Post by Mark_IV »

Is there any way in the new code BZAdmin could count less than an observer, or not count at all? I hate looking for servers when I can't tell if it is a logging BZAdmin, or an actual person I can talk to. Also, when not many people are on, I see the BZAdmin only servers on the front page. It annoys me, and maybe others, as you expect a PERSON to be observing, but you get a bot.
blast
General
General

Re: BZAdmin

Post by blast »

I think we should actually identify why people use bzadmin for "bots" and logging. It's probably just a sign that the plugin system can't do all of what they want.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

So why do they leave BZAdmin on all the time? I've seen very few people actually use it for its purpose, talk/be an admin without actually watching the game.
Last edited by Mark_IV on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The things people use bzadmin for like that should be moved into plug-ins or HTTP services.
ImageJeffM
Pimpinella
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pimpinella »

One reason for running bzadmin all the time is of course to push the server up in the list ;)
But yes, thats annoying. Strayers site allows to sort servers by real players, ignoring obs.

Pimpi
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

technically that is against the list server policy and we have the option of removing those servers.
ImageJeffM
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Why not make BZAdmin and Bots (both playing bots and obs logging bots) not count toward the server player number list to avoid this?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Because bzadmin isn't tagged as a special client in 2.0.x or 2.3.x. This may already be done in 2.99.x (I do think that bzadmin identifies itself as such to the server to reduce bandwidth usage - so it would be a minor extension to that to exclude it from the count).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Mopar Madness wrote:Why not make BZAdmin and Bots (both playing bots and obs logging bots) not count toward the server player number list to avoid this?

Some bots don't count as players. Although some do, the -solo bots don't add player count, although you will most likely get banned for using them, and they are extremely stupid.