Can't drive on a meshbox... only if I jump over it

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Can't drive on a meshbox... only if I jump over it

Post by fox in the fog »

Code: Select all

meshbox
  name box_338_pavimento_rosso
  position -286.399994 0.0 0.0
  size 26.0 5.0 0.1
  rotation -90.0
  outside matref redbase
  top matref bt
  bottom matref bt
end
This meshbox have many matref, like you can see, but even if the Z size is 0.1 the tank, without jump, can't drive on it between the ground and this meshbox, like it's high 40... If you try with a normal box, same Z size 0.1, you can drive on it. So adding this matref I have this problem (before, I had only normal box, and worked fine... After decide add matref, nothing is Ok.) Suggestions?
Fox
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Can't drive on a meshbox... only if I jump over it

Post by anomaly »

one thing I would suggest is that you clean up those floating point numbers. I don't think it will help in this case but I don't know what the rest of your map looks like. Numbers like -286.399994 would be better as -286.40. I have noticed this with mesh maps that I have built. I limited modeltool's output precision to 2 decimal places and the maps work a lot better.

In general meshboxes and boxes are drawn differently, they don't seem to line up with each other. But you may get it to work better by adjusting your floating point precision.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

thank you for the suggestion... I have used it, but doesn't work. I mean, doesn't solve my bug...
other suggestions?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yep that's one issue with meshboxes, transitioning from old stuff to meshes is an issue. it is a known issue an on the roadmap to be fixed when we can redo our entire simulation to uses meshes for all objects.
ImageJeffM
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Hm... Ok, but instead of use all mehsbox, I tried to use an arc with divisions 4 to have a box.. like in MIssileWar... but the problem isn't fixed :(
like you can see with the box with red matref not at the center of map (isn't with good number Anomaly, but is copy-pasted from Missile War, and than a little modified the size)
Attachments
Bridge.bzw
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

arcs are meshes too so that makes sense.
ImageJeffM
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

And so why on MissileWar, that (the floor with Z high very low, that allow tank shoot on loopholes) work well, fine, wonderful?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there are tricks to get it to work in specific cases, get the map they use and take a look at it. In general it works best when all objects in the collision area are the same type, all mesh, or all "old". It's the case where they are mixed when we have problems.
ImageJeffM
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Fox in the Fog wrote:And so why on MissileWar, that (the floor with Z high very low, that allow tank shoot on loopholes) work well, fine, wonderful?
There's a map setting (it's in the wiki) to adjust the height difference that allows a tank to just hop up onto a raised surface rather than be blocked by it. This is how the low-Z ground object at the base walls in MW functions.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Also, they'd have to be a normal box to bump up on. So the ones there are likely boxes (or have the very edge being a box to trigger the bump)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I'm glad to know that the solution exist, :D but would be good also know the name of this map setting... Because I searched on the Wiki, under server variables, but didn't find any interesting things.
Thanks All, I am going to solve my problems
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Ok, i think the map setting is -set _maxBumpHeight 0.33 but, adding this to my map file, the problem persist.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

_maxBumpHeight does NOT work for meshes, as blast said above. So it is no surprise it does not work!
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Ah... so:

There's a map setting (it's in the wiki) to adjust the height difference that allows a tank to just hop up onto a raised surface rather than be blocked by it. This is how the low-Z ground object at the base walls in MW functions.

what's the name of this map settings?
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

The creators used _maxBumpHeight, but inserted a regular box right before the mesh so this effect would occur. The box would be at equal or slightly higher height such that it looks like you are bumped up to the mesh. If you want to get specific actions to occur in maps, sometimes you have to use tricks to create the illusion.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

smart trick sigonasr2.. i noticed that also on MissileWar is like that :)
thx, now all is solved... thank you a lot :)