Help with local server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Acehart
Private
Private

Help with local server

Post by Acehart »

I run local servers alot to help me practice and get better at this game, so I would like to know a few things: 1) how to make better, more effective bots that actually jump and collect flags rather than the regular bots in -solo, 2) how to host local servers on custom maps, because I save the world from the public server and then try to put the bots on there for practice, but they never show up and then the server forces a disconnect, so I don't know what I am missing here, and 3) how to disable/enable teams so that I can have red v. blue, red v. green, etc. matches, as well as how to add rogues to my custom server. I use the local server to try to get better (and have something to play when it's too laggy on my end to join public matches) and I just want to know how to have the best experience possible.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: Help with local server

Post by allejo »

1) You really can't... Unless you have a lot of clients on autopilot, which isn't ideal. Autopilot bots are a bit better than bots because they do jump and are a bit smarter.

2) When you run bzfs, load your own world with the -world command. Should look like:

Code: Select all

bzfs -world /path/to/YourSavedWorld.bzw
3) In the saved map file, open it and look for the "Options" block and add:

Code: Select all

-mp 3,3,3,3,3,10
What does -mp and those numbers mean?

-mp = max players
-mp <rogue players limit>,<red players limit>,<green players limit>,<blue players limit>,<purple players limit>,<observer players limit>
Pimpinella
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pimpinella »

Did you start your server from the client menu so far? If so, learn how to start it from the command line. A starting point for that would be here:
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_a_server and here:
http://my.bzflag.org/w/Sample_conf

If you still don't get your local server working you at least should get an error message on your commandline that will help you to figure whats wrong.

Supplementary to what allejo wrote:

3) There's not always an -mp statement in the saved world file. If there's none, you either can add it there OR you can have it in your server config file. To avoid unexpected results consider having only one location for this, so either server configuration or world file.
Then note, that you in CTF worlds you need to have a base for each team you want to allow. If you have a red and a green base in your map you cannot allow blue tanks. Rogues would be allowed. If you still want different colors you need to open your world file, find where the bases are defined and change the color to what you like them to.

Pimpi
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Well, i tried to start a server with the command line (I do it all the time for test my maps) doing this:
bzfs -world hix.bzw -a 0 0 and that worked fine... I start bzflag and begin play "with myself" to discover errors on maps. The problems is when i start the game doing: bzflag -solo 3 on the command line...
when i connect to localhost 5154 the server "unexpectedly disconnect" (see attachment) What can I do?
Fox
Attachments
bzfi0092.png
(529.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Fox in the Fog, run bzfs with -dd and post any errors that appear when you join with your bots. You can't really get much information from "Server has unexpectedly disconnected"
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Sorry... now it works. I don't know why; however there aren't any errors running bzfs with -dd :)
Thank you so much