'Ricochet' Option Not in Map List

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

'Ricochet' Option Not in Map List

Post by SkillDude »

When specifying the ricochet option in maps with +r turned off, I would believe the 'R' icon in the server list would turn on due to the fact that there is ricochet.

Have the devs decided on a position for this?

Maybe make it translucent if ricochet is specified in this manner as not all boxes are ricochet-enabled?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: 'Ricochet' Option Not in Map List

Post by JeffM »

Are you are saying that you want some indication that at least once face has rico in a map?
ImageJeffM
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Today I was running the Pillcati map. Some players were under the assumption it had no ricochet, while others assumed it was all ricochet if they were seeing bouncing bullets. Maybe a clearer indicator it's a mixed map? Or do we just have to communicate it to our audience as this matter is too specific for a future release?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

As more stuff gets put into the map I'm not sure if it's so cut and dry.

Is there a big advantage to knowing these game flags before you join? Can we just remove all of them and assume that the owner will put any special info the server description, or people will learn the specifics of each map?
ImageJeffM
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

May be the best choice to remove them at this point. There are already ways to manipulate them anyways, so expecting the flags to tell you how the map plays is probably not a good option. Maps with special 'properties' violate the flags anyway.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

I agree with removing. Then again, I've never looked at the flag options block when browsing servers anyways (except on occasion to see if the map carries Bad Flags).
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)