Filthy Liars!!!!!!

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Filthy Liars!!!!!!

Post by cepris »

Okay.. so I just wanted to share this terrible review of BZFlag with you..

http://www.download-free-games.com/free ... bzflag.htm
or jump to the full review: http://www.download-free-games.com/review/bz-flag/

It's horribly biased, and if anybody is thinking about getting BZFlag they are probably scared away !!

So, if everybody goes to the full review, and say that they disagree with it, I think that would be very good :D

Because seriously.. thats not BZFlag.
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Filthy Liars!!!!!!

Post by mahem1 »

I don't think that page has been updated.
One part says: "this game has you moving forward and backward with the arrows and side to side with the mouse." And then says you can also move forward and backward with you mouse.
Maybe they are describing an older version of BZF. ?

You should probably ask the site to update the page.
Nice find.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It's not relay a lie. The user just did not understand what options he had, and THAT is a problem with BZFlag. it has no tutorials or documentation on how to play. It's actually a fairly honest review if short. I would not say it's biased just uniformed.

BZFlag does not make itself easy to play, that's a fact. It does not have a single player mode, fact. The tank is a bit hard to control since it does not work like a normal FPS shooter ( you can't aim up and down ), again a fact that users should know about since they will be expecting an conventional control system.

And you can't deny the fact that the game is dwindling. Better to spend your efforts on making the game better then yelling at a reviewer for telling the truth as he saw it.
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

That Site wrote:The object of Rabbit Chase is to be the player with the highest score so that you can capture all the white flags

Ummm... how do you mess that up. The goal of rabbit chase is clearly not to capture flags.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The goal of any of the modes is never stated in the game, it is easy to see how he would be confused.
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Yes, the goals aren't stated, but how does picking up superflags seem like the goal in rabbit chase. The goal is clearly to kill the white tank. Especially because it automatically tells you to hunt the rabbit.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It never says "Go shoot this guy" It just hightlights some stuff and plays jaws music sometimes. Perhaps he felt that was the current winner, specialty when the score board is so odd.. WTF are fractions doing in there?

The reviewer was not very good for sure. It is a bad review, but that doesn't mean he LIED.
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

I never said he lied. But I do agree it is a terrible review. I just said how to you mistake getting flags for killing tanks.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Mark_IV wrote:I never said he lied. But I do agree it is a terrible review. I just said how to you mistake getting flags for killing tanks.

Look at the title of this post... Yes, he called them liars.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

I know he called them liars, but I didn't.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Mark_IV wrote:I know he called them liars, but I didn't.
Who said you did?!?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

You know you can submit your own review.
Hopefully people might read it and not be scared off by the original review.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Yeah, he isn't a liar.. just a sloppy reporter! He should have played on the game properly, not sat on there for 5 minutes and then he decided he didn't like it just because he didn't like the graphics..! He hasn't used very good grammar, either. :)
ACEofSpace
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ACEofSpace »

this game has you moving forward and backward with the arrows and side to side with the mouse. The mouse can also be used to move your tank forward and backward so you will probably experience a lot of conflicting movements when trying to master the movements. The movements and controls are really hard to figure out.
Haha, I just imagine this guy with his left hand on the up and down arrows and his right hand on the mouse, having no idea what's going on. This part of the review is especially hilarious
http://panicvolcanic.bandcamp.com

Our album just dropped. Download it for free this week.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gerbil »

The site allows you to vote their reviews up or down and there is a contact email there as well. Here's the email I sent them. Don't mess with BZ!

Your review here http://www.download-free-games.com/review/bz-flag/ is extremely inaccurate and not helpful to any gaming community.

You either need to update or simply delete your review of BZFlag. It is horribly dated and incorrect and would only apply to the game as it was a decade ago. The game currently allows customizable worlds using a native builder or custom made 3D OBJ objects, custom texturing, server side scripting, customizable play options, multiple modes of play, LAN, solo and network play and a host of things I haven't even mentioned--such as the fact it can be played on Mac, Windows, Linux and other OSes.

Your "not worth playing" rating and "cons" section are completely inaccurate. This is a free game maintained by volunteer programming professionals who have worked at places such as European Space Agency and software development companies and have attended schools such as M.I.T.. It's not your typical "freebie" game and it is a standard inclusion with most out-of-the box Linux distributions.

Thanks for your attention.

Gerbil...saving the internet...one email at a time.
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

If anyone is interested, I would be willing to help out with documenting on how to play and what the options are for all the players that barely start playing. Maybe once this project is finished, maybe the link to the tutorial could be added to the announcements that BZFlag gets and/or to the main site.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Gamma Ray
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma Ray »

How to Play should be on the main bzflag.org page. Having simple things like instructions on how to install should not be on the Wiki it makes BZFlag look very unpolished. Also the Help menu in-game is awful.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Gamma Ray wrote:How to Play should be on the main bzflag.org page. Having simple things like instructions on how to install should not be on the Wiki it makes BZFlag look very unpolished.
Um, we link to the "Getting Started" page from the main site. I don't see why it's a problem for it to be a link to the wiki. How does a wiki page equate to unpolished? Some sites use a wiki for their entire homepage.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Gamma Ray
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gamma Ray »

blast wrote:How does a wiki page equate to unpolished? Some sites use a wiki for their entire homepage.
I'm saying what I thought when I first saw the BZFlag wiki. Many projects do use Wikis for the entire site and I feel this looks even more unpolished. Wikis look busy and are meant for quickly browsing for things hence the interlinking. I think a dedicated page on the site along with a PDF would be welcoming to more players. It conveys that we actually care about people joining instead of just basically saying RTM.

PS
I personally abhor wiki sites, first I do is usually go to the URL when I get redirected to /wiki/ and then sigh upon realizing it is all-wiki site