Hacking Accusations

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
ACEofSpace
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hacking Accusations

Post by ACEofSpace »

Hello fellow tankers. I come with a question, wondering if anyone else has shared the same experience.

There have been a handful of times that I've been accused of hacking or cheating in some way throughout my BZ experience. All of these have been on maps that I'm well versed in, like Hide n Seek Hills, etc. Every time it's a different player that I'm not familiar with so I don't know if it's just happenstance or one guy who follows me around using different usernames.

Obviously there's nothing I can do about it while in the game except silence the player, but everyone else on the server will still see their chatter and that is discomforting. The most recent time was on server 203.96.60.153 (no name), when a guy joined observer after I shot him and accused me of having some kind of flag coloring client where I could find stealth. In reality, I was just going through the teleport to the upper circle and finding it because that's where the flag spawns.

Easily silenced, but it still sucks when other players are sitting there wondering if it's true that your cheating and your credibility is being diminished.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and how you dealt with it.
http://panicvolcanic.bandcamp.com

Our album just dropped. Download it for free this week.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Hacking Accusations

Post by Bambino »

I've been accused countless times. The most recent was last Tuesday night on bzf.bzflag.net port 5154 (FFA hix). I delt with it by not swearing or dropping to his level. I kept telling the playing I don't cheat. He kept on telling me that my skinny tank cheat wasn't working...because I wasn't cheating lol. He ended up getting annoyed that I kept telling him I'm not cheating. I ended up leaving and did my homework :)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
JUR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JUR »

Most of the players that accuse others of cheating are noobs, they accuse other people of cheating pretty soon because they cant assess whether or not a player is lagging or cheating. Most of them dont even know what cheating is, they get killed and yell 'cheater!'.I deal with it by avoiding servers with a lot of new players or just leave when there are in my opinion not enough experienced players online. :)
While playing i ushually forget im in a tank;), awesome game.
http://www.gamebrew.com/game/madness-co ... eemer/play

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Like JUR said most of them just dont respond well to getting owned. so take it as a compliment.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Read my sig. That is all.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yosef »

Sounds familiar. Someone accused me of using the colored flag cheat on the trench warfare map just a few days ago, AND claimed to be an admin on several servers to boot.
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

I, while having no admin abilities, was accused of cheating and giving myself flags. Told the guy he's an idiot, then killed him a few more times.
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

I always tell them I use a well know cheat called 'skill' .....
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

mahem1 wrote:I always tell them I use a well know cheat called 'skill' .
Dang, where do you download that one? I'm in desperate need...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Blast, you just have the facetious comment generator cheat. I think that's all you need. ;)
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

I want the source code for that...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

You missed out, Bambino - we were passing it around freely on Ziggurat just a few minutes ago. :P
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
straightshooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by straightshooter »

Yeah, had the same experience like JUR with a player under an another name in the mad city quickshot map. :) There's rico and the _shotsKeepVerticalVelocity set on. I shot a few times on a wall while I were jumping and killed a guy who was much higher than me :) ...he just said: 'No way!' and something about cheating and he signed off. THIS WAS REALLY FUN :D
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

blast wrote: Dang, where do you download that one? I'm in desperate need...
Like a year ago Erik Spaltaxt was giving out jump/dodge lessons at 100$ per hour on the BZF facebook page.
Now you know why they cost so much :wink:
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
[honc]
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by [honc] »

For sure i am THE noob .. but sometimes ..

while i was putting bullets into a tank and this one got
no harm at all i wonder .. [noPhantom] after about 30 bullets
it [the tank] explode i liked that but it happens again [same tank]

.. how is that possible .. ? editing a file for tank hight and width?
anyway most of the time the SkillCheat kills me ..

But i like to say i hope that all cheatig persons will go and play some other stuff
.. and where can i get the SkillCheat .. i will give some items for it .. like
the MostOfAllDeadCheat .. or the StupidJumpCheat ..

:9
may the tool's be with you
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

[honc] wrote:after about 30 bullets it [the tank] explode i liked that but it happens again [same tank]
check lagstats when something like that happens. If you notice high lag with a particular tank, you may need to adjust when you fire at them.
PhaseShifter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PhaseShifter »

Actually the ones that have been bothering me lately are:
  • shots other than SB/SW that pass through obstacles. There's no telling how many times I've been hit by GM that passed right through the central building on the ziggurat map.
  • Being shot through walls with SB...when I have ST, and am jumping around like a madman. One or twice might be dumb luck, but three times (or several near misses that look like they're targeting me) look suspiciously like a rendering hack to make walls transparent.
  • The most common one (by far) lately, when shots literally come out of nowhere, i.e. the tank that shot me was invisible on radar and the main screen simultaneously.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

PhaseShifter, this is more about the fact that you get accused of hacking for playing exceptionally well that they think it is impossible for you to possibly survive that bullet, or jump in a certain way, etc. rather than talking about actual cheating.

I actually have recently captured a gameplay session of this kind of accusation. (Finally, been trying for awhile) It was pretty funny because I thought we were getting along real well, haha.
I joined this map and just killed some of the others on the ground. The guy just sits on the highest building with Shockwave. If you listen to my commentary too, eventually I start talking about how he's standing there and waiting and that I would have to intercept him eventually. After I get him on the ground again we exchange some blows and he finally thinks there was no way I could have survived, etc. etc. (Except in much more grotesque wording)

Here is the gameplay video: http://www.twitch.tv/sigonasr2/b/309010907
Start at 10:30 if you want to start seeing the hunt for killing him, until he is killed and accuses me. I always get a chuckle from it.