Just a question for y'all...

General talk about the map making process.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Just a question for y'all...

Post by ducatiwannabe »

If you could pick a certain type or style of map to be made what would you choose? An older style, simple CTF like Dutchrai's Overlord perhaps? Or how about some fancy eye candy like Louman, Spazzy Mcgee, and other great mapmakers have made? Another castle warfare map? Or something totally different?

Just curious. Perhaps we'd so more activity with a new map with a bit of a twist.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Just a question for y'all...

Post by FangUp »

1st of all, LouMan is not "fancy" it is AWSOME (:
Fance is like total overflow with shotSpeed, tankSpeed, laser ad life, shock out radius, skyColor, mirror etc.
There are many ways to like a map, an easy fun-made map is mosty a small map. There are some that are big and cool too like:
LouMans Laser Mania.
Try to do it however you want and test it at same time! (:
Try to fill it so it does not have one place totaly full of boxes, pyramids etc. and on other part there would be none. That would be bad. Try a total map covarage with same mass of them.
Well mostly peoples like Fast-killing maps or really good technical mpas (Like your Missile War.)
I, for example prefer total knockout that lets say 2 maps of 300 have (:
Try making it a Fast-Killing map is my last and key word.
Have fun!
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
Liz 16
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Liz 16 »

yeah that is a good poin it is not fancy it is cool I like Louman it is really cool map I like to get on it when it is up but to answer your Question would be that I do like the CTFs becuase there will be a very uneven team and they will still capture the flag and I like it cause it is a good idea :)

-Liz

p.s did I help any?
Liz
Athletic Girl, ) God has blessed and gifted me with it..its only because of him that I love to run and do sports!! (soccer)
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

Perhaps we'd so more activity with a new map with a bit of a twist.
MW 2.3 was utterly awesome. It featured lot's of tricks to learn and master. But as a result the gap between skilled players and new ones was tremendous. So the map should be actually bad to assist the rise of activity, it should be really difficult (or really boring) to get a ratio more than 2:1 (or 3:1). Btw Ziggurat is fine.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Liz 16 wrote:I like Louman it is really cool map I like to get on it when it is up
Louman is a map author, not a map.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Flag Alert!!!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Flag Alert!!! »

And uh yes LouMan maps are VERY fancy. If you dispute that then you can go try to make one like that and see how long it takes you...
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

I would suggest you go with a classic style map. LouMan's and Spazzy McGee's maps are very eye catching but often times, they aren't very playable so they don't get much popularity on the server list. Just my thought.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

allejo wrote:I would suggest you go with a classic style map. LouMan's and Spazzy McGee's maps are very eye catching but often times, they aren't very playable so they don't get much popularity on the server list. Just my thought.
I would disagree on the playability aspect. Louman maps ruled the list server for a couple of years, but like everything they ran their course. His maps are from a time when there were 2 pages of games in the client with players on them and Louman always had 4 or 5 maps in the top 10. They do require a full compliment of players to play well though, and do not play as well with the meager number of players that play now.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln