The Free Game Alliance - BZFlag inclusion?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Green Ranger
Private
Private

The Free Game Alliance - BZFlag inclusion?

Post by Green Ranger »

Checking out the Xonotic site, I noticed an announcement for something called The Free Game Alliance. From the forum post:
The Free Game Alliance (FGA) is a great collection of Open Source games, one per genre, which will keep you busy for years to come. What do you need more than a good FPS, a good turn-based strategy game, a good real time strategy game, a good mmorpg and a good car racing game? Probably nothing if the content is updated regularly enough!! That's why the FGA wants to support these projects and make them become known and famous, so more developers and contributors can join them to make this the perfect set of constantly evolving games!
I think it would be awesome for BZFlag to get involved, to attract community help. The question is what "main" genre is BZFlag fulfilling? (I don't think they would turn away BZFlag though. ;) )
blast
General
General

Re: The Free Game Alliance - BZFlag inclusion?

Post by blast »

Looks like they only do one game per genre, which they already have covered (first person shooter).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Green Ranger
Private
Private

Post by Green Ranger »

Looks like they only do one game per genre, which they already have covered (first person shooter).
Yeah, but I would hope that they would be a little flexible though. BZFlag isn't exactly your typical FPS.

I find it hard to believe they would refuse BZFlag of all games. The required criteria is a match despite the genre:
Here are the prerequisites for the projects we selected (and for future projects):

Be active. The project should have an active development stream, new code, new art, new data. It should have a good group of active developers committed to success.
Have a good community support. The game should be known enough to be popular or at least have a reasonable sized fan base.
Have the potential to be a leader in one genre.
Willingness to support open source development in general and to support other projects part of the alliance.
Have an open development cycle. The project accepts contributions from the community and seeks new members. The team is open to let new members join the team and develop the game with them.
Have an OSI approved open source license for the source code. The source code should be available to download.
The license for the art/data can be any. Copyright of both source code and art/data can be any. This is to allow projects to protect their uniqueness and style.
Be made by a non-profit/volunteer group and not by a commercial company.
Players can freely play the game without limits of time without any monthly fee or without having to purchase anything.
Maybe we should put BZFlag in the "party game" genre? :mrgreen:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Be active. The project should have an active development stream, new code, new art, new data. It should have a good group of active developers committed to success.
Have a good community support. The game should be known enough to be popular or at least have a reasonable sized fan base.
Have the potential to be a leader in one genre.
We fail at these, badly.
ImageJeffM
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

JeffM wrote: We fail at these, badly.
Hehe, I think many of us got a good laugh after reading the first few points, I know I did. It is unfortunate that such a thing is true but there are many factors involved in it and I myself would not want to get involved in trying to organize such a thing. I consider this game a hobby game, and it truly is. The thing that really gets me with the Free Game Alliance is that they want games that continue to evolve, and fast. It is a recurring theme that our support for the game in terms of community and developers is not enough to do such a thing.
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

and it doesn't help that xonotic development is going fast ... scary fast

while our development is .. well .. um .. .. . is there any?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

We don't have much.

Yes other projects are much better run and have much more maintainable structure.

Heck we can't even get the Game's owner to build a package for debian........
ImageJeffM