Server for kids

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
LaunchMath
Private
Private

Server for kids

Post by LaunchMath »

Hello

I run an after-school video game programming workshop for kids, and as a break they love to play BZflag. Recently however we've been having issues connecting to private LAN servers (it seems to be a problem with our LAN rather than BZflag specifically). Connecting to publicly listed servers works, but unfortunately our 12 year olds are no match for the general population. Creating a public server ourselves gives us the same problems when trying to connect.

I was wondering if perhaps some generous soul might have or know of a private server where a group of no more than 15 kids might play BZflag without getting killed repeatedly?

Thank you!
blast
General
General

Re: Server for kids

Post by blast »

I'd recommend trying to get the LAN server working right. If you are using a hostname to connect, have you tried using the IP address of the server? The game client can detect local servers running on port 5154, but I don't know if the resulting hostname always works. Probably depends on the network configuration. Connecting using the IP address should work, however.

The other possible issue could be if the server is running on Windows. There's a bit more issue running a server on Windows as it seems that the network buffers are smaller, so some of our messages can fill up this buffer causing a client to disconnect.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)