Server location and name

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server location and name

Post by DeltaFlame »

hello world (given up with the world domintation cameo) im just about to start my new server the maze when i relised i dont know how to open the server up to the public and change its name so if anyone could tell me how to do so (preferably in video cause i can follow those a little easier) and thats all

Stewie Griffin
Ragu sauce: If you gave this to someone who was actually from Italy, they'd punch you in the face.
joevano
General
General

Re: Server location and name

Post by joevano »

It seems you want everyone to do a little research for you. Personally, opening up your network to the outside world is probably something you should at least research yourself and ask questions about. If you make a mistake or do not understand what and why you need to do what you are doing, then you open yourself to all kinds of security risks.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

ive done it and ive got to the stage when ive saved a new conf but now im stuck and im trying to start a server with the configuration
Ragu sauce: If you gave this to someone who was actually from Italy, they'd punch you in the face.
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

joevano wrote:It seems you want everyone to do a little research for you. Personally, opening up your network to the outside world is probably something you should at least research yourself and ask questions about. If you make a mistake or do not understand what and why you need to do what you are doing, then you open yourself to all kinds of security risks.
im not telling other people to google it im asking if anybody knows how to do it and if they can tell me how to do so
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The information you want is available on the wiki and in older articles here. That is the level of research we are expecting you to do, instead of asking for it again.

You will not find specific instruction on how to open up your router, that is outside the scope of what these forums are for, check your router manufacturer or other sites on the internet.

Use your brain and look around for what you need first, it is all well documented.

We do not exist just to make you videos of things you are too lazy to read.
ImageJeffM
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

JeffM wrote:The information you want is available on the wiki and in older articles here. That is the level of research we are expecting you to do, instead of asking for it again.

You will not find specific instruction on how to open up your router, that is outside the scope of what these forums are for, check your router manufacturer or other sites on the internet.

Use your brain and look around for what you need first, it is all well documented.

We do not exist just to make you videos of things you are too lazy to read.
yes i know but i have read it and i am doing as it says but whenever i try to make my server public it says that -publicaddr or -publiclist or -publictitle cant be used in a word file.

so as i cant find the answers on google i come to you as a last resort
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

If you are unable to understand the basics of command line programs and simple text files then perhaps running a server is not for you, or you need to get a grownup to help.
ImageJeffM
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

JeffM wrote:If you are unable to understand the basics of command line programs and simple text files then perhaps running a server is not for you, or you need to get a grownup to help.
Which is why im comming to here
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

We will not teach you the basics of how to host services on the internet, it is expected that you understand those concepts before you host a server.

This is the wrong place to ask those kind of questions.
ImageJeffM
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Perhaps instead of figuring out the setup of the server yourself, you could perhaps kindly get one of the many generous hosters to look at your map and perhaps put it up. Generally when someone releases a map in the Map Releases topic, if it is deemed worthy of hosting, someone will put it up for you. This would simplify the work on your part as you do not have to understand the technical aspects, and you can gain a bit of community reputation and recognition for it also.