Where to apply for unbanning?

Discussion for GU League Players
honeytank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Where to apply for unbanning?

Post by honeytank »

Hello,

I was just wondering, if there was a thread to apply for an unban? I would be thankful for an answere.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Where to apply for unbanning?

Post by SkillDude »

There is no real application process for such a thing. The ban was decided based on the GU admins and thus it should be taken up with them if you feel you need to discuss an unbanning. The GU League website contains the list of admins whom you can contact, and you can usually contact them via Private messaging or IRC.
easy tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by easy tank »

honeytank, you should ask GU League Admins for unban, but I'm not sure if they will do that.
By the way, if you do something really wrong like cheating, then ban can be for 1 year or maybe forever.
Cursing is not that long time, expect if you say something really bad.
Levellyn
Private
Private

Post by Levellyn »

Something stange (in my opinion) happened, is there a ban list for Germans (IP). I got this news by the admin of the map "Metropolis".
He told me there would be a ban for users with IPs similar to mine. Its because of the "swiss guy". Easy and Zeg9 know which guy I mean.
This morning I started to play, but every server refused me. I realy like playing - so I realy like some help here.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

Levellyn wrote:Something stange (in my opinion) happened, is there a ban list for Germans (IP). I got this news by the admin of the map "Metropolis".
He told me there would be a ban for users with IPs similar to mine. Its because of the "swiss guy". Easy and Zeg9 know which guy I mean.
This morning I started to play, but every server refused me. I realy like playing - so I realy like some help here.
having seen your IP and ISP yesterday i thought you could be a potential victim of the range bans or even ISP bans put to exclude that lifeless loser. sorry to hear i was right. the bans most probably weren't applied yesterday or today though. you have noticed them because you have tried to access those servers only now. i myself have range-banned him a few times on different servers and will continue to do so. on the one hand, it's a convenient way to get rid of a nuisance, but on the other, unrelated people like you get banned too. i think the only way to be able to play on those servers is to ask the respective server owners to get you white-listed (create an exception for you). as to who is the owner of which server you can do google searches or PM me or others.
Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

Ehrmm... What about a possibility to have range-bans for non-registered players ? That way a registered player will not accidentily get catched up in these kinds of bans.

Its might be even possible to write a plugin to automatically exclude registered players from such bans/apply range-bans only to non-registered players.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

Tks to one of these rabble raisers, I had that type of ban against my IP Beardy on a server that was recently retired.

If I tried to sign on without my reg callsign, I would not be able to connect and received the banned msg meant for Bob or spooge IRC. As long as I used my registered callsign I was able to join.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Something I had been working on at one point was making it so that ID bans wouldn't take antiban into account. Then a rangeban could be added, and the VERIFIED group could have antiban. This would let any registered user join the server even if caught in a ban. But then an ID ban could still be added against a specific registered user. Never got around to finishing that code, though.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

If a player can just register an account (or an additional account) to get around a ban, I can't see how bans would be effective for keeping anybody off servers.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It was something I wanted to try out anyway. Adding an ID ban would still ban that account, so they'd have to go register a new one. And if someone is that persistent, a simple hostban/rangeban wouldn't stop then anyway. So in the end, I think it'd be a net positive. You'd have less legitimate players being blocked, which I think is sometimes more important than keeping out the few bad apples.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It's effectively region based forced registration.
ImageJeffM
Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

JeffM wrote:It's effectively region based forced registration.
Nothing changes for non-registered players. A range-ban prevented them from accessing the game before, and it still does so in the new situation.

The change only applies to registered players: they will not get caught in an indiscriminant ban anymore.

But yes, its possible that some game-owners will just "ban" everyone except registered players. But than again, they could already -- and have been known to -- do so now. Again, nothing changes.

As for that "forced registration" ? I do not see how. The choice to register would still be fully upto them. I also do not see how we could be forcing them in doing so. Moreover, the change would not cause a choice to be taken away (or even changed), but instead for one to be added.

If you absolutily must put a tag on it you could say that the "do not IP-range ban registered players" would be at most an incentive to become a registered player.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The change actually doesn't apply to existing registered players as they would see no affect of range bans, they can still play(yes they may get in now where they could not before, but that is the point of the change). Users in a range ban would only have one option to play and that is to register if they want to join.

Yes those banned would now have a way to play, but the choice would be made into "to play or not to play" not "to register or not to register" since they would have to register to play. It is very different from servers with out bans that have the registration choice be different from the play/not play choice.

One can also ignore the non players in discussion since they aren't playing. The discussion assumes that someone who is in a range ban wants to play. What blast proposes would require them to register to play. So in that respect they are forced to register in order to play, simply based on where they are connecting from.

So the user who can play elsewhere with out registering is now forced to register to play, based on region. That makes it region based forced registration in the fact that is functional the same as requiring registration but just to a subset of players.
ImageJeffM
Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

JeffM wrote:Users in a range ban would only have one option to play and that is to register if they want to join.
And currently they have no choice.
JeffM wrote:but the choice would be made into "to play or not to play" not "to register or not to register"
Nope. The choice would be changing from "Can't play at all" to "a possibility to register and again play".
JeffM wrote:The discussion assumes that someone who is in a range ban wants to play. What blast proposes would require them to register to play.
If playing is all they want and care about than a registration (or even more intrusive requirements) will not stop them in any way.
JeffM wrote:So in that respect they are forced to register in order to play, simply based on where they are connecting from.
Currently players (un-registered and registered alike) have the option to contact the game-owner to get them white-listed. Ofcourse, that can be hard to do for an un-registered player. To be able to reliable do that a verifyable identification is often expected. Should I now claim that, in the situation as exists today, IP-Range ban setters are already forcing the un-registered players hand ?

If I can do that (and I think I can) than again nothing changes for the un-registered players.
JeffM wrote:So the user who can play elsewhere with out registering is now forced to register to play, based on region.
I'm sorry, what is that "is now" you are talking about ? What has happened which would make it impossible for that user to once play elsewhere, but not anymore ?

And what has it to do with my proposition ? You see, I'm quite sure that what I proposed does not contain any kind of blocking (rather the reverse).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Unregistered users cannot be whitelisted... at least not in the usual sense of a whitelist for BZFlag. Generally server owners have a whitelist group that they add registered users into that are caught in bans.

My idea above is essentially a blacklist. You assume registered users are okay, and block specific registered users that cause trouble. It's also easier to maintain. Instead of having to jump onto a website and add a user to a group (which only myself and one other person have access to for my server, for example), any admin on the server could blacklist a specific user.

JeffM is referring to a range ban on an ISP or geographic region. If I ban, say, a large part of Germany, users would then (with the above idea implemented) have to register to play from that region or ISP.

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

blast wrote:Unregistered users cannot be whitelisted... at least not in the usual sense of a whitelist for BZFlag.
Than, in my eyes, BZFlag is missing something.

I was an admin before I was a registered user. That the used method (I was made an operator) was/is not condoned means very little to me. Sorry.
blast wrote:My idea above is essentially a blacklist. You assume registered users are okay, and block specific registered users that cause trouble.
Isn't that what already happens/can be done ? Just erase his login on the forum and presto!, he's not able to enter as a regged player anymore.
blast wrote:Instead of having to jump onto a website and add a user to a group (which only myself and one other person have access to for my server, for example), any admin on the server could blacklist a specific user.
Yes, I already wondered why that (blocking registered players on name) was missing from BZF. Especially funny as complete lists to put regged players in all kinds of groups already exist ...

I wonder ... Maybe someone could write a plugin doing just that: checking registered players against a (local) ban-list and allowing admins to add or remove players to/from it. That way you maintainer-guys will have more time to concentrate on the really important things ...
blast wrote:JeffM is referring to a range ban on an ISP or geographic region. If I ban, say, a large part of Germany, users would then (with the above idea implemented) have to register to play from that region or ISP.
Yeah, after a few iterations of JeffMs I already got that, thank you.

1) they do not have to.
2) it also has got zilch to do with my proposition.
3) Implementation of my proposition does not change anything for the non-registered users

How many times do I have to say this before any of you even acknowledge that I've said it, let alone respond to it ?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Unregistered users cannot be whitelisted... at least not in the usual sense of a whitelist for BZFlag.
Than, in my eyes, BZFlag is missing something.

I was an admin before I was a registered user. That the used method (I was made an operator) was/is not condoned means very little to me. Sorry.
I don't see how you'd suggest whitelisting unregistered users. The two ways would be whitelisting their IP or their callsign. Both change, so that would be a maintenance nightmare. I also fail to see what knowing a server password has to do with any of this.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:My idea above is essentially a blacklist. You assume registered users are okay, and block specific registered users that cause trouble.
Isn't that what already happens/can be done ? Just erase his login on the forum and presto!, he's not able to enter as a regged player anymore.
Technically my idea is a blacklist (bzid bans) on top of a whitelist (antiban for registered/verified users) on top of a blacklist (hostbans and IP bans). My idea also doesn't require that the one doing the banning is a forum administrator. A normal server admin can't just go delete a user from the forum. :P So think of this from a server admin point of view, NOT an administrator of the forum.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Instead of having to jump onto a website and add a user to a group (which only myself and one other person have access to for my server, for example), any admin on the server could blacklist a specific user.
Yes, I already wondered why that (blocking registered players on name) was missing from BZF. Especially funny as complete lists to put regged players in all kinds of groups already exist ...

I wonder ... Maybe someone could write a plugin doing just that: checking registered players against a (local) ban-list and allowing admins to add or remove players to/from it. That way you maintainer-guys will have more time to concentrate on the really important things ...
Server owners do NOT block registered users by name using groups (though some do add names to their badwords file). Groups use the BZID. A user's BZID does not change if they rename their account. And again, you're thinking that forum administrators do more than they do. We do not maintain the whitelist groups. Server owners do that. Please keep the project and the servers separate in your mind, because they are not one in the same. Just because someone gets banned on a few servers doesn't mean the project has to do anything about it.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:JeffM is referring to a range ban on an ISP or geographic region. If I ban, say, a large part of Germany, users would then (with the above idea implemented) have to register to play from that region or ISP.
Yeah, after a few iterations of JeffMs I already got that, thank you.

1) they do not have to.
2) it also has got zilch to do with my proposition.
3) Implementation of my proposition does not change anything for the non-registered users

How many times do I have to say this before any of you even acknowledge that I've said it, let alone respond to it ?
Your idea requires adding some special flag to all the ban commands which then has to be explicitly set by the admins when issuing a ban, or adding additional variations of the ban commands. So you're adding an additional learning curve to the administration of a BZFlag server. Now when they list bans that'd have to look to see if it's a general ban, or a unregistered ban. I don't see the advantage to that. And if you DO want such a feature, you could write that as a plugin. Then the plugin would handle bans on unregistered players only, and the normal ban system would handle the usual bans.

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

blast wrote:I don't see how you'd suggest whitelisting unregistered users.
I didn't. I suggest you re-read my initial proposition carefully. It was to exclude registered players as a group from range-bans. Nothing more, nothing less.

And whatever I said later on, it was definitily not implicating anying in the direction individual white-listing (feel free to refer to, or quote where you think I did though).
blast wrote:I also fail to see what knowing a server password has to do with any of this.
So would I. The hint was not server, but password. I was able to verify myself to the game-server -- even though I was an un-registered player at that time -- by providing a password. The same could be done for other un-registered players.

Not as convenient as the token method, but quite workable (the whole world works with it :-) ).
blast wrote:Technically my idea is a blacklist (bzid bans) on top of a whitelist (antiban for registered/verified users) on top of a blacklist (hostbans and IP bans).
If you want to make it complicated using three seperate lists, be my guest. I think it would be a helluva lot easier to just check the "is the guy registered?" -bit retrieved from the list(?)-server, and ignore range-ban entries if he is.
blast wrote:So think of this from a server admin point of view, NOT an administrator of the forum.
Huh ? I thought of it as a programmer with BZFS in mind (with its "is this guy registered?" queries towards a central server). I have no experience as a forum-administrator.

Here ends the "exclude registered players from range-bans" response.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here starts a bit of discusion about something I have not proposed at all: black-listing registered players using their callsigns.
blast wrote:Server owners do NOT block registered users by name using groups
And I can't remember having suggested any such thing.

But if you want to (again) talk about it, it would be a good idea, as, as I said before, their names seem to be more persistant than their IPs. And in that case, whats the problem with the game-servers managing their own, local registered-players ban-list ?
blast wrote:Your idea requires adding some special flag to all the ban commands which then has to be explicitly set by the admins when issuing a ban, or adding additional variations of the ban commands.
Nope. my idea does not need anything of the sorts. However, your idea might ...

But whats the problem with the command just taking a peek at the "is this guy registered" -bit, and change its behaviour accordingly. The command could even present a choice if it does not know how to procede.

And even if variations of that ban-command should need to be added, whats the problem ? BZF(S) does have in-build help, does not ?
blast wrote:Now when they list bans that'd have to look to see if it's a general ban, or a unregistered ban.
I do know very little about the ban-structure, but I was of the impression that, as an admin, I could only create local bans. If so, would someone currently than not need to check if the ban was "general" or "local" (the latter one he could set & remove with impunity, the former he would/should leave alone.

But no, he would not. The un-ban command could check if, if a name was provided, the person is a registered one (by looking in the registered players ban-list I presume) and handle accordingly.
blast wrote:And if you DO want such a feature, you could write that as a plugin.
Funny, that is about exactly what I wrote in my previous message ...

If for nothing else, thank you for responding to what I said (ahem: and to what you thought I said) at last. We do not need to agree, but a discussion about the pros and cons is a lot better than getting the silence treatment -- and i mean a lot.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:I also fail to see what knowing a server password has to do with any of this.
So would I. The hint was not server, but password. I was able to verify myself to the game-server -- even though I was an un-registered player at that time -- by providing a password. The same could be done for other un-registered players.

Not as convenient as the token method, but quite workable (the whole world works with it :-) ).
Local authentication was specifically removed from the game because it was insecure. Putting it back is not a solution to this problem.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Technically my idea is a blacklist (bzid bans) on top of a whitelist (antiban for registered/verified users) on top of a blacklist (hostbans and IP bans).
If you want to make it complicated using three seperate lists, be my guest. I think it would be a helluva lot easier to just check the "is the guy registered?" -bit retrieved from the list(?)-server, and ignore range-ban entries if he is.
There is not three lists to maintain. There is one. The ban list. Just because it supports multiple types of bans does not mean it is multiple lists. It's the same type of bans that already exist and are used.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:So think of this from a server admin point of view, NOT an administrator of the forum.
Huh ? I thought of it as a programmer with BZFS in mind (with its "is this guy registered?" queries towards a central server). I have no experience as a forum-administrator.

Here ends the "exclude registered players from range-bans" response.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here starts a bit of discusion about something I have not proposed at all: black-listing registered players using their callsigns.
If you were talking from the point of view of a programmer, then I question how you expect a programmer to delete registered users. Please re-read your own writing.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Server owners do NOT block registered users by name using groups
And I can't remember having suggested any such thing.

But if you want to (again) talk about it, it would be a good idea, as, as I said before, their names seem to be more persistant than their IPs. And in that case, whats the problem with the game-servers managing their own, local registered-players ban-list ?
Wow, do you forget what you write that quicky? Please re-read your posting. You said you wondered why blocking registered users by name was missing from BZFlag. In any case, no, it's not a good idea. Adding a letter or number to a name makes it extremely easy to get around a ban if the bans are by name. Perhaps put a bit more thought into your suggestions.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Your idea requires adding some special flag to all the ban commands which then has to be explicitly set by the admins when issuing a ban, or adding additional variations of the ban commands.
Nope. my idea does not need anything of the sorts. However, your idea might ...

But whats the problem with the command just taking a peek at the "is this guy registered" -bit, and change its behaviour accordingly. The command could even present a choice if it does not know how to procede.

And even if variations of that ban-command should need to be added, whats the problem ? BZF(S) does have in-build help, does not ?
Yeah, and where does the server tell you how to look up the help text? :) Oh right, it's buried in some wiki page. Your idea essentially forces all the servers into making range-bans not apply to registered users. My idea simpy gives the server owner a choice and make the 'bzid' not take antiban into account. With a normal configuration, IP and host bans would still apply to all users.
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:Now when they list bans that'd have to look to see if it's a general ban, or a unregistered ban.
I do know very little about the ban-structure, but I was of the impression that, as an admin, I could only create local bans. If so, would someone currently than not need to check if the ban was "general" or "local" (the latter one he could set & remove with impunity, the former he would/should leave alone.

But no, he would not. The un-ban command could check if, if a name was provided, the person is a registered one (by looking in the registered players ban-list I presume) and handle accordingly.
My point was that some bans would apply to registered users and some would not, so you'd have to have a flag show up that identifies which it is. I'm talking about local bans only. Unbanning does not support names. You have to specify the exact ban to remove (IP, host, or bzid).
Beardy wrote:
blast wrote:And if you DO want such a feature, you could write that as a plugin.
Funny, that is about exactly what I wrote in my previous message ...

If for nothing else, thank you for responding to what I said (ahem: and to what you thought I said) at last. We do not need to agree, but a discussion about the pros and cons is a lot better than getting the silence treatment -- and i mean a lot.
You suggested a plugin for tracking bans on registered users (meaning you were suggesting making the server default to only applying range bans to unregistered users). My suggestion was making the plugin handle bans on unregistered users and leaving the bzfs logic alone. So, pretty much the complete opposite of your suggestion.

Again, my original suggestion is a single change to the BZFlag server: making it so that the BZID bans do not respect the antiban permission. The rest would be up to the server owner to configure as they see fit.

Beardy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Beardy »

blast wrote:Local authentication was specifically removed from the game because it was insecure.
Are we now talking about registered users, or about un-registered ones ? FYI, I was there talking in reference to that last group. Please don't mix them up.
blast wrote:There is not three lists to maintain. There is one. The ban list.
So your three lists description (quoted in the below) is just for laughs ?

blast wrote:If you were talking from the point of view of a programmer, then I question how you expect a programmer to delete registered users.
Are you for real ? How much effort are you putting into deliberatily mis-reading what I'm saying ? And why for gods sake.

What about the explanation that a programmer could add code which could enable a site-admin to send a request to the central server to apply a ban on a registered player (or even fully remove him).

If you want that possibility is a fully other question.
blast wrote:Wow, do you forget what you write that quicky? Please re-read your posting. You said you wondered why blocking registered users by name was missing from BZFlag.
Nope, I didn't. I said I already wondered, and that was in response to what you wrote just above it :
To me that definitily looks like you came up with the idea, not me.
blast wrote:In any case, no, it's not a good idea. Adding a letter or number to a name makes it extremely easy to get around a ban if the bans are by name.
Really ? So passwords (which you guys are using in the clients) are not worth anything too ? Remember, passwords are just "numbers" using a few more symbols-per-digit.
blast wrote:Perhaps put a bit more thought into your suggestions.
Maybe you should put a bit more thought in your rejections ...

Besides, I never said you should add "a letter" to it. I said "a random number" Maybe a 32 bits one, maybe even 64 bits. Not that easy to guess, now wouldn't it.

Oh yeah, that brings me to the following: stop trying to shove words into my mouth. If you are not sure what I mean than you are welcome to ask for clarification.
blast wrote:Yeah, and where does the server tell you how to look up the help text?
Well, there is something quite new on the marked in that regard : some code and text can be added into a program so that it can respond to an incomplete or malformed command with help retrieved locally over how to use it, and coeld even include a "/help" "-help" (linux) command so that a list of available commands is displayed. Again retieved locally.

Oh my, that something already exists for a couple of decades now, in both Linux and windows</sacrasm off>
blast wrote:My idea simpy gives the server owner a choice and make the 'bzid' not take antiban into account.
Your above "idea" is actually the implementation of the idea. If you think that that is easier than just looking at the "registered" bit than go for it I would say.

By the way, is that "bzid" not what is named "token" in the client ? Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
blast wrote:My point was that some bans would apply to registered users and some would not, so you'd have to have a flag show up that identifies which it is.
And my response was that I do not think that that is needed : A range-ban would never applied to registered users, a ban on a specific IP would, as always, be applied to all users. As simple as that. No change needed other than a "is he registered" check.

Ofcourse, if you want to extend the idea to enable you to put specific IP bans seperatily to un-registered and registered users you would need to do a bit more work. In that case adding a "on name only" ban for registered user and IP-bans (single or range) only for unregistered users would not be a bad idea.

But than again, that would mean a major change and thus needing a lot of time-and-energy (which you mentioned you where already in short supply of).
blast wrote:You suggested a plugin for tracking bans on registered users
I*DID*NOT*SUGGEST*ANY*SUCH*THING

How many times have I have to say that before it reaches your brain ? <angry>

That was your suggestion, something you where, as you mentioned, already working on, but just never finished.

For reference: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 pm :
blast wrote:But then an ID ban could still be added against a specific registered user. Never got around to finishing that code, though.
My suggestion is two posts up from that one. Maybe the first paragraph is not too clear on it, the second should have removed and questions about what I was after.
blast wrote:My suggestion was making the plugin handle bans on unregistered users and leaving the bzfs logic alone. So, pretty much the complete opposite of your suggestion.
I suggest you re-read my origional suggestion again. The second paragraph mentiones two different methods to get the same result. It did not say anything there about the implementation. Although later on I did mention looking at the "is registered" bit as, as far as I could tell, an easy possibility, if you know an easier/better way to get to the same result than be my guest. Hey, you have been one of the persons maintaining BZF, not I. I do not even how to write code in VC.

And for your information : I was not posting here for brownie-points, I was posting to try to aliviate some troubles with registered players getting into range-bans. If you think I tried to rob you of any such brownie-points than put your own, or anyone elses name under all of it, I don't care.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The discussion is not going anywhere and is hijacking the GU discussion. The use of antiban on registered users will be reviewed to see if there are simpler ways to whitelist players.

We will try to get to this before the Debian 2.4.2 package.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The BZID is (currently) a number that is assigned to each globally registered account. This is the basis for global groups and BZID bans. The token is simply a random string that is generated upon request from a client. That token gets passed to a server, and the server asks the list if it's valid. This is so that a password is never sent to an individual game server. Local authentication was removed because it sent passwords to a game server, which is insecure. Your suggestion to ban by name is pointless because names can change. The BZID on a global account will never change.

In any case Beardy, I think you should do some more research about the relationship between the game servers and the project. They're not as closely related as you seem to think.