old maps

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

old maps

Post by mochawarrior »

Bzflag is fun and all but I would like to see some old maps come back (some people are trying). Persinoly I would like to see the one where theres three castles and they are for different teams and you try to get in there castle (I forgot the name). So if possible it would be nice to see some older maps come back.
blast
General
General

Re: old maps

Post by blast »

Feel free to rent a VPS and host some.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

What is a VPS? (sry kind noob at bzflag only been play 2 years)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A Virtual Private Server. As in, pay to have a company host a Linux server and run your own BZFlag server on it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

You have to pay to have a map/server!? Ill do it maybe if I dont have to pay, andwhen I get better internet so people wont get mad, and IF I figure out how to make a map (because I tried and failed. I have great map idea(I think)).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, see, all of the good servers have servers in datacenters or other commercial environments and have premium network connections. They don't use their parent's Internet connection. If your goal now is to host another crappy server on a cable modem, don't bother.

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

I am young for people that didnt know (But I wont tell you my age). Also what are datacenters (sry again).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And young people can't use Google?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=datacenter&l=1

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

My bad. Anyother people want old servers back? Because I am done.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

If you want some old maps, the best thing to do is to find them (possibly sitting around on these forums if you search for them hard enough), and then host them on your own server. But if you're unable to do that, I'd say the next best thing would be to go to the Map Releases board and make a specific request to see if someone would be willing host the map in question on their server. That's how I got mahem1 to bring back Mario's Arena (old, pre-2.0 map) on BZAddict.
mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

is that map still up?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Can you not do anything yourself? There's a search feature built into the server list in-game...

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

I know but maybe he has it in privet.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My point is, it shows up in a search. So if you had taken 30 seconds, you would have known the answer. :P

mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

Ok next time Ill think before I send.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

It's public, but there's usually no one on. Would be great to get some more activity on it. But what was the map you mentioned in your first post? It doesn't sound familiar to me, do you remember it's name?
mochawarrior
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mochawarrior »

No I don not remember the name sry. It used to be one of the top maps when I was on, then it went offline. I think it started with a p? I will go on the map that you put up, bc I used to play mario and I want to see it.
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yosef »

mochawarrior - So apparently Mario's Arena is stashed somewhere in the shrubbery? Really, 2(two)(II) spelling mistakes in one word?
Last edited by yosef on Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Not sure what spelling errors you're talking about, but yeah, Mario's Arena should still be in the serverlist if you search for it. It would be awesome to see it near the top of the list a little more consistently, since it's so fun to play on. :D