No way out war

User made maps to use on servers.
Dazzling124
Private First Class
Private First Class

No way out war

Post by Dazzling124 »

This is my map it, a 1vs 1 map i hope someone host my map!
Attachments
No way out war.bzw
Awesome
(17.19 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: No way out war

Post by Iskskskks »

Can you add a picture?
Dazzling124
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dazzling124 »

I don't know, how to?
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Dazzling124
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dazzling124 »

I don't know how to get a license.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You need to read the forum rules about posting maps... http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10575
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You don't need to "get" a license. You need to figure out what license you want to release your work under. A license would describe what we can do with your map (such as modifying, distributing, or displaying it). If you want to keep some control over your work, but allow others to use, modify, and make other works based on it, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 might be an option. Read the topic that has been linked to you twice for more information.

Also, I cleaned up this thread quite a bit. If you need to figure out how to make a screenshot, just look it up on Google.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Screenshots
http://sigonasr2.servegame.org/uploader ... fi0008.png
http://sigonasr2.servegame.org/uploader ... fi0010.png

I have two screenshots of the map for you, one is the map's view, the other is a clear view of the radar of the map. You'll see why I took the second one in a second.

First off, it seems like you made this map with some sort of drag and drop system. This is easy to tell because every single map object is not lined up with anything else in any matter. I highly suggest in the future, whether you are hand editing map files or if you use an editor (It doesn't matter to me or anyone else what you use) you use absolute values based on reference points so your map is actually symmetrical, or looks half decent.

Also, there is an info and end block right at the beginning of the file. This object is not existent in bzfs and caused an error. I suggest you remove it and fix your map file.

Finally, you have an options block, but you did not specify any options at all! You said this map was 1vs1? How about you specify some options? Set the max shots (-ms #), jumping (-j), since obviously players can use the blocks, perhaps (-sb) to spawn tanks on buildings, and the number of players and teams to 2 of the colors (such as -mp 0,1,1,0,0,20).

You also have some stray defines....Since these objects are numbered, it is apparent you used an editor. But did you test your map after using an editor? No, because it wouldn't start up for anyone that tried it. I suggest before you get further along in map development you learn the tools you are using and the basics of maps, configuration, and testing.
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

sigonasr2 wrote:Screenshots
http://sigonasr2.servegame.org/uploader ... fi0008.png
http://sigonasr2.servegame.org/uploader ... fi0010.png

I have two screenshots of the map for you, one is the map's view, the other is a clear view of the radar of the map. You'll see why I took the second one in a second.

First off, it seems like you made this map with some sort of drag and drop system. This is easy to tell because every single map object is not lined up with anything else in any matter. I highly suggest in the future, whether you are hand editing map files or if you use an editor (It doesn't matter to me or anyone else what you use) you use absolute values based on reference points so your map is actually symmetrical, or looks half decent.

Also, there is an info and end block right at the beginning of the file. This object is not existent in bzfs and caused an error. I suggest you remove it and fix your map file.

Finally, you have an options block, but you did not specify any options at all! You said this map was 1vs1? How about you specify some options? Set the max shots (-ms #), jumping (-j), since obviously players can use the blocks, perhaps (-sb) to spawn tanks on buildings, and the number of players and teams to 2 of the colors (such as -mp 0,1,1,0,0,20).

You also have some stray defines....Since these objects are numbered, it is apparent you used an editor. But did you test your map after using an editor? No, because it wouldn't start up for anyone that tried it. I suggest before you get further along in map development you learn the tools you are using and the basics of maps, configuration, and testing.
Thanks for the screenshots Sig! Maybe you should add something special about your map that makes it different from others like super flags for example....Just regular flags not made up flags but just regular but no GM,L or G.
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

a bullet gone crazy wrote: Thanks for the screenshots Sig! Maybe you should add something special about your map that makes it different from others like super flags for example....Just regular flags not made up flags but just regular but no GM,L or G.
If this is to be a 1vs1, I would say no superflags. Or if there are, no WG, GM, and maybe none of the other more powerful flags, and use the fair play 1vs1 plugin. (think that's what it's called) Basically, if there are only two people playing, after you kill the other tank, you drop your flag. I can't find it now, but it used to be (and maybe still is) on MoFo:Passion.

My guess is that you're using BZWorkbench. If so, turning on the snap setting is easy. Just check "Snap"! (blue circle) Then, you can click "Snap Config" (red circle) to change the resolution of the snaps. The smaller the number, the greater the precision, but harder to get it exactly where you want it. (and visa-versa)
NOTE: you will have to check the "Snap" box and redo any changes you made in "Snap Config" each time you start BZWorkbench.
If you're not using BZWorkbench, then look around in the menus and such for the snap setting, it has to be somewhere!
As for cleaning up the map you've already made, the easiest way is probably a text editor. Go through and truncate (or round, your choice) to a whole number, then load your map back into you graphical editor, and making sure snap is on then move the objects where you want them

Hope this helps! I don't want anybody asking more silly questions, I think I've made it quite clear! :P
Attachments
BZWsnap.JPG
BZWsnap.JPG (16.69 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
Last edited by mr64bit on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---mr64bit
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It still needs a license or it's going to be removed.
ImageJeffM
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

I've been talking with dazz an he/she still has no clue what a license is. I think he thinks you have to obtain it like a drivers license.
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
Dazzling124
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dazzling124 »

The license i using, is Creative commons Attributton 3.0.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

That is acceptable.

The thing to remember about licenses is that YOU are giving us the license to use it, not the other way around :)

The only thing that you may want to think about with the CC BY license is what is acceptable "attribution". Is it ok for your name to just be in the source for the license? or do you want more?
ImageJeffM
Dazzling124
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dazzling124 »

I found a host so you guy not hosting my map and.Thank you all the support you gave me and advice!
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

I am not guarantying that I will host your map, Im just saying that I'll test it; and if it is good enough, then I might host it for awhile.
btw, Dazz told me that he/she is using Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Dazzling124 already posted the license, so its all good on that front. Just so you know, we can not accept "second hand" license postings, it must be from the author, and in this case all is well.
ImageJeffM
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

mr64bit wrote:
a bullet gone crazy wrote: Thanks for the screenshots Sig! Maybe you should add something special about your map that makes it different from others like super flags for example....Just regular flags not made up flags but just regular but no GM,L or G.
If this is to be a 1vs1, I would say no superflags. Or if there are, no WG, GM, and maybe none of the other more powerful flags, and use the fair play 1vs1 plugin. (think that's what it's called) Basically, if there are only two people playing, after you kill the other tank, you drop your flag. I can't find it now, but it used to be (and maybe still is) on MoFo:Passion.

My guess is that you're using BZWorkbench. If so, turning on the snap setting is easy. Just check "Snap"! (blue circle) Then, you can click "Snap Config" (red circle) to change the resolution of the snaps. The smaller the number, the greater the precision, but harder to get it exactly where you want it. (and visa-versa)
NOTE: you will have to check the "Snap" box and redo any changes you made in "Snap Config" each time you start BZWorkbench.
If you're not using BZWorkbench, then look around in the menus and such for the snap setting, it has to be somewhere!
As for cleaning up the map you've already made, the easiest way is probably a text editor. Go through and truncate (or round, your choice) to a whole number, then load your map back into you graphical editor, and making sure snap is on then move the objects where you want them

Hope this helps! I don't want anybody asking more silly questions, I think I've made it quite clear! :P
Yes now I agree with Mr.64bit that's a great idea! Thanks!
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

Sorry bout that. Didn't realize he already posted it. And I should have figured about the second hand licenses.
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Since the images where hosted on third party sites, those third party sites are down, the user who uploaded the file does not exist in the data base anymore, the user who posted the links for the images also does not exist in the data base anymore - here are some screen shots..
Attachments
bzfi0003.png
(422.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bzfi0002.png
(499.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bzfi0001.png
(127.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet