BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 are Breaking!

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Tank Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 are Breaking!

Post by Tank Terminator »

This message is to all BZFlag players. Please download BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 because noone is playing them anymore, and server numbers are very less!
Tank Terminator, BZFlag Player
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 are Breaking!

Post by blast »

Upgrade to the new version of the game. BZFlag 2.0 is no longer maintained nor active. BZFlag 2.4 is the current stable release.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tank Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank Terminator »

I know but its still great!
Tank Terminator, BZFlag Player
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What benefit does using 2.0 provide?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ChaoticFangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ChaoticFangUp »

Seems we are talking about the updates here, may I give a bit of advice?
Do NOT make textures too fancy! Please!
Super Bullet & Guided Missile were way better before.
Marshall... yes, I am!
Linux - Fedora 16 Power!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Um, you realize that the new GM isn't a texture, it's an actual 3D model. And the long super bullet is also geometry, not a texture...

ChaoticFangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ChaoticFangUp »

You choose what it is, I only look at the Image, which is a texture.
However, if it also changees the actual effect, than that is bad! :(
Marshall... yes, I am!
Linux - Fedora 16 Power!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Then turn down the quality setting to get the old style shots.

Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Fang, do you realize that we've already upgraded to 2.4...?
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
ChaoticFangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ChaoticFangUp »

I do, and my reply was deleted.
You say upgraded... I may say degraded. :(
Some things should just be left alone... at least, that is my opinion.
Marshall... yes, I am!
Linux - Fedora 16 Power!
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

It's hardly different.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I might be less amazed by people who complain about a new release, if this release wasn't the first in years, and possibly the last ever, and if people hadn't been begging for a new release for so long. A lot of people left this game while waiting for the 2.2 release that never happened, then the 3.0 release that never happened, and I don't think the 2.4 release saved many customers. I guess this goes to show that you can't please everybody no matter what.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

sorry const and whoever sacrificed their free time to develop 2.4 (i know there has been a lot of excitement and hope and hard work to get a new version out), but it really is not a development from a -purely- player's point of view. wg was much more fun in the old version (the strengths could always be balanced by handicap effect, shot limits etc, and they were most everywhere). tk was not the biggest issue. in fact trying to avoid a tk added spice to the gameplay, even the little sorry-np routine did.. since no decent ffa map is regularly being played on 2.4 anymore, i would also like to call more people to download and play 2.0.16.. moogle (aka wnc) has disappeared mostly if not totally because of poor admining there, but urban combat is still alive and kicking. if you are a ffa fan please do come and play.
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

another solution is obvious as well, and quite simple. Make a ffa map, should it matter what version it is? its still bz, its still the game I've played all these years. its not the version thats changed things, the players have changed things. And I for one am very thankful for the developers taking their time to craft 2.4, they certainly didn't have to. Wings may not be the same, but the effect can be diminished slightly. What's done is done, we can't change that. There's just too few mapmakers to supply new ffas to play. we'd be extremely lucky to see 4 new maps in 2 months time. Plus for all the time we put in it now, we get less out of it. Now it seems like when we do produce a map, that they can go relatively unnoticed, that can drive a lot of younger mappers away. I will say, that you've inspired me to go at it once again.

I believe I speak for many of us when I say thank you to the developers for 2.4. Its a special release to me, possibly the final one.
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

i wouldn't worry about making a new map. even since the time 2.4 came out, some very good ffa maps have been created. they are simply not getting played on. new maps have even less of a chance compared to established ones like mystic valley, badgerking's, eria ziel, ancient & modern.. every time a new and good one came out, or a classic resurfaced i hoped that would fill the gap of a popular ffa map in 2.4 and every time i became disappointed. that tells me the problem is not about the quantity or quality of the maps available, but about the new recruits to the game who prefer the camp/snipe/spray-your-bullets-without-fear-of-a-tk maps of recent times, or the maps/gamestyles themselves. it's a vicious cycle and while it seems to have created a new kind of game along with it's players, the old bzflag as we know it, which spurred players to acquire skills or qualities like dodging, jumping, aiming bullets, skillful driving, positional awareness, anticipation, even patience, has pretty much died. this may only be minimally related to the release of 2.4, but it is definitely not the game i've played all these years anymore.
Central Scruteniser
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Central Scruteniser »

Green Manalishi wrote: the old bzflag as we know it, which spurred players to acquire skills or qualities like dodging, jumping, aiming bullets, skillful driving, positional awareness, anticipation, even patience, has pretty much died.
I agree, and whilst its never ever gonna be possible to please everybody - we DO have the advantages of many servers and their maps which COULD address this issue.

I discovered BZF during my first tentative steps with Suse 10 - and have played it for years now . . . . (though the rot probably set in with "BattleZone" in the fairground arcades - anyone remember that?

I generally applaud the points made by <Green Manalishi> above. Much satisfaction is to be had from the basic concepts of shooting straight and opponent antisipation - even if enhanced by jumping and ricochet. One could say that the "fire and forget" weapons are for those who do not possess the basic skills in such abundance, so they too can achieve "a score".

I would dearly love to see some maps with NO flags, and just jumping and Ricochet - where the score is dependant on player GUILE, ANTISPATION and ability to aim and shoot - rather than fancy weapons.

Realistic fall from a jump would help too. With current maps, in the time it takes to land, the enemy can gather round and blow you away - not very realistic.

Perhaps someone could explain the point of Rogues to me too?

Surely, picking a target colour other that your own is not THAT difficult?

Best Regards

Central Scruteniser
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Central Scruteniser wrote:I would dearly love to see some maps with NO flags, and just jumping and Ricochet - where the score is dependant on player GUILE, ANTISPATION and ability to aim and shoot - rather than fancy weapons.
Such servers already exist, but them existing doesn't automatically ensure they get played. Many people prefer the type of map/server that they can dominate other players on. Though what you might be looking for are the leagues, like GU or Ducati.
Central Scruteniser wrote:Realistic fall from a jump would help too. With current maps, in the time it takes to land, the enemy can gather round and blow you away - not very realistic.
How much more realistic than actual Earth-like gravity can we get? :) The acceleration due to gravity in BZFlag defaults to -9.8 units per second (squared), and our units closely resemble meters based on our tank dimensions.
Central Scruteniser wrote:Perhaps someone could explain the point of Rogues to me too?
The purpose is to have a group of players that has no teammates.

Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

thank you Central Scruteniser, i'm glad a player who remembers the original battlezone times agrees with me on some points. :) i hope a map or more that fits your description can rise to popularity again. you might remember the urban combat i have mentioned on this thread (when it was called bessler's world) was once like that. even though i'm not against power flags and happily (mis)use them all ^^, i wouldn't mind testing my skills on a no-flags ffa map again.
Central Scruteniser
Private First Class
Private First Class

blast wrote:
Central Scruteniser wrote:I would dearly love to see some maps with NO flags, and just jumping and Ricochet - where the score is dependant on player GUILE, ANTISPATION and ability to aim and shoot - rather than fancy weapons.
Such servers already exist, but them existing doesn't automatically ensure they get played. Many people prefer the type of map/server that they can dominate other players on. Though what you might be looking for are the leagues, like GU or Ducati.
Central Scruteniser wrote:Realistic fall from a jump would help too. With current maps, in the time it takes to land, the enemy can gather round and blow you away - not very realistic.
How much more realistic than actual Earth-like gravity can we get? :) The acceleration due to gravity in BZFlag defaults to -9.8 units per second (squared), and our units closely resemble meters based on our tank dimensions.
Central Scruteniser wrote:Perhaps someone could explain the point of Rogues to me too?
The purpose is to have a group of players that has no teammates.
Thanks <blast> for taking the time to answer my queries.

I guess I must have been playing some games which have modded decent times on them, as some DO seem to be painfully slow . . . Ah! the richness that open- :lol-old: source provides . . . . .

Best Regards

CS
Central Scruteniser
Private First Class
Private First Class

Green Manalishi wrote:thank you Central Scruteniser, i'm glad a player who remembers the original battlezone times agrees with me on some points. :) i hope a map or more that fits your description can rise to popularity again. you might remember the urban combat i have mentioned on this thread (when it was called bessler's world) was once like that. even though i'm not against power flags and happily (mis)use them all ^^, i wouldn't mind testing my skills on a no-flags ffa map again.
Hey! - thanks for that Green Manalishi, that Bessler's World sounds kinda familiar . . . .

I poke around amongst what's on offer in the hope of finding a truffle :lol-old:

Best Regards

CS
ryanfesta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ryanfesta »

Reading through this topic, all I am reading is people complaining about a better version... I don't understand what is so wrong with 2.4. I think the upgrade is much better, and kudos to the people who worked on it. Nuff said.

C.Dogg9200
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

cdogg9200 wrote:Reading through this topic, all I am reading is people complaining about a better version... I don't understand what is so wrong with 2.4. I think the upgrade is much better, and kudos to the people who worked on it. Nuff said.

C.Dogg9200
right, and if BZ doesn't keep upgrading, It's gonna die sooner. BZF is already going downhill, and maybe another upgrade would help.
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

I doubt another version would have a substantial effect, it may have a slight impact, but none that would be long lasting. But if you wish to pursue this you could always contribute ;)
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
ryanfesta
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ryanfesta »

Whether there's an update or not, the game is still dying guys.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The next update will only have a few bug fixes.
ImageJeffM