Why so few matches?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
A-Mill
Private First Class
Private First Class

Why so few matches?

Post by A-Mill »

I used to play BZ years ago and am just starting again. I noticed that in the past there were multiple pages with many servers to choose from. Now there seems to be on average only 5 at a time with not many decent free for all Matches and the ctf seems a little clustered to me.

WHAT HAPPENED?
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Why so few matches?

Post by SkillDude »

Yeah, it may come as a shock, but once you realize the game itself, you'll notice that it is not all too surprising. The game has been declining over the years as nothing new was being added to the game and players were migrating to different things. Maybe life finally caught their attention or better games are out now that have kept them occupied. BZFlag can create some close relationships also, but these don't last forever and players move on. I know I still pop in occasionally and help players when I can, but nowhere is my activity as high as it once was. And same applies for many others. You may be glad to know that the GU League is still active enough, but at the same time, no other league is.

This game is just in decline, that's a fact. We got a few people working on various concepts, but development, map making (GOOD map making), plugin development, number of players, the numbers are just falling left and right. It is just a fact of this game and I have come to accept it unfortunately. I am sure in the future the game will slowly keep falling, but only because efforts to continue supporting the game in the past have failed. And no one wants to advertise a 20 year old (almost) game that still has not been renovated.
A-Mill
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A-Mill »

Thanks
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

nothing lasts forever, the best thing you can do is savor every match you have. For me, to savor each line of .bzw I make. At the end of the day the best thing for you is to have gained something by playing bz, whether that is a friendship, a skill (such as coding), or a way to see places of the world you can't travel to. I'm glad that when that day comes that bz is no longer played, or I no longer play it, that I can say that I have gained something from it. In that the coders have served a far better purpose then to just entertain you, they've helped you become a better person, I know if I had a map do that it'd be worth far more then just providing someone's entertainment. I've only been in GU since the end of November last year, but the number of matches in those first few months (as well as the number of players) was a lot more.
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
Jeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeep »

Since the lack of add ons and new options for bzflag, its popularity has greatly decreased. I Started playing '08 and i loved it, man was it popular. But everything must come to an end, right? Now You have leading companies such as Infinity Ward, EA, and Activision. They draw the attention of PC Gamers who have been playing lesser- known games.
Justa_Rookie
Private
Private

Post by Justa_Rookie »

I'm now noticing that there are only 4 boring servers left when just a few weeks back we had over a dozen. Are we at the final mail to drive into the BZFlag coffin?
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

Justa_Rookie wrote:I'm now noticing that there are only 4 boring servers left when just a few weeks back we had over a dozen. Are we at the final mail to drive into the BZFlag coffin?
http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=17477 download this, you were on the old version.
A-Mill
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A-Mill »

I also noticed there isn't a decent free for all only one I like is the quick shot. All the others have too many shots are no flags I miss the old bz. Where's the variety!
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

A-Mill wrote:I also noticed there isn't a decent free for all only one I like is the quick shot. All the others have too many shots are no flags I miss the old bz. Where's the variety!
Try GU league Hix or Ducati or open league. GU and open league only have 3 shots, and ever better.......Ducati 2 shots!
OH THE HUGE MANATEE
Private
Private

Post by OH THE HUGE MANATEE »

It also doesn't help that a bunch of people wanting to make themselves feel better insult clearly new players. When potential faithful players are treated this way it's no surprise that the game is declining
Tank 52
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank 52 »

Well it was late one night and before going to bed, I remembered a game I used to play quite a bit. And I decided to drop by and see how it was. Sad it seems to be in decline but I was expecting it to have been gone already by now to be honest. Loving the new home page by the way. Oh, and this seems appropriate, just skip to the chorus line eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNJ1SQp ... ure=relmfu

I'll probably reinstall this old game and see if I can find a server or two to spend a bit of time on, maybe I'll run into someone I recognize :mrgreen:
After I get some sleep of course. :P
Try to look unimportant,they may be low on ammo
Teamwork is essential,it gives them other people to shoot at.
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Look for me, T52
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
Jeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeep »

Miss Y'all