Server name is blank

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server name is blank

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Hello im trying to start a server i have spent days researching and working and i think its ready to be run.

But when i run it, on the list, its blank where its name is supposed to be. :doh:

-publictitle "TheMagicCookie's AWSOME server" is whats in my conf file. Note: TheMagicCookie is the name i use in the game.

I looked on the bzfs.conf and this is exactly what it says to do. But it isnt working. How do i fix this?
blast
General
General

Re: Server name is blank

Post by blast »

If you're running the server and client on the same network, it's detecting the server via the local discovery, not necessarily from the server list. Local discovery does not use the public settings, and will instead just show the hostname of the server. Does the server show up correctly on the list server at http://my.bzflag.org/db/?action=LIST when you run the server?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

As a matter of fact, i cant find my server anywhere! On the list server, all it says is Enterprise.home (enterprise is the name of my computer). The name of the server is SUPPOSED to be "TheMagicCookies AWESOME server". I cant find either on the list.
TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Also, the port im running from is 5154. I cant find my server anywhere on the list u gave me.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you are just trying to host a local server (as in, not a public one) you cannot give the server a title.

If you are trying to host a public server, then you do not have your network and/or server configured correctly to do so.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

-password [password]
-publicaddr [ip address]:5154
-publickey [key i got for my ip]
-p 5154
-dd
-world "C:\mymaps\world.bzw"
-publictitle "TheMagicCookie's AWESOME server"

plus options allowing jumping, ricochet, and a dozen other details.

Thats whats in my conf file, and thats what i got from the wiki.

cd C:\Program File (x86)\BZFlag2.4.0_32Bit\
bzfs.exe -conf C:\conf.TXT
pause

thats whats in the batch file i made to run the server (just so i dont have to type all that out every time i made a revision to my map)

I have a dynamic ip address so i will have to get a new key every day. I think i have a DSL connection.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Eww, you want to run a public server on Windows? Windows is not a good platform to run a BZFlag server on. Even if you do get it working publicly, it will run like crap.

Also, Verizon prohibits the hosting of servers, at least on their residential connections. So you probably don't want to host your game server on your DSL connection (or else you'll risk your Internet being terminated). Consider getting a cheap Linux VPS if you want to host a game server.

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.porta ... ies&id=TOS (See section 4.3)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You will probably also want to use a dynamic DNS service and get a domain name. That way you won't have to get a public key everyday... your key should be attached to your hostname. You also would need to set up port forwarding on your router and open ports in your windows firewall and make sure that your PC is adequately secured from threats. This is not trivial and if you get it wrong you coud be hacked.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Regardless of that, his ISP prohibits him from hosting a server.

TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Forget it then.

I have had thoughts in the past about switching to Ubuntu or Linux Mint. So someday...

And about my internet service, the people at Verizon have been idiots since day one. Horrible customer service and lousy prices, and we have thought of switching. Does Bright House let you host servers?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I am not aware of any residential DSL/cable service that allows you to host game servers. Business class DSL/Cable may let you host servers but it is more expensive. You will need to read their terms of service.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

Your saying im gonna have to spend who knows how much per month on a business class internet service just to host a server? Never mind then. Its not even worth it.

Thank you for your help i really appreciate it. if i had kept trying to get my server out their i may have had my internet taken away! LOL.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

On the other hand, do not feel discouraged to post up your maps here or personally ask other map hosts to put up your map! There are plenty of people who are willing to help, and if you ask nicely, make (at least) decent maps, and try opening up to others to get suggestions about maps...Then who knows, you may in the future you may get to handle things yourself. It is not uncommon for hosts to eventually provide you with the ability to fully control your hosting, provided you learn up on your commands and try to promote great gameplay and fun. Even if you cannot afford it, others are willing to for the map makers.

Just some advice.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Or a $10 to 20 per month Linux VPS could host a BZFlag server... :)

mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

I have a mostly static IP, so I use http://www.dnsdynamic.org just in case :wink: I have Tomato firmware on my router, which runs a script to update the dynamic domain name. If you have any questions, just ask!

P.S. I think there is some way to easily test your map on BZAddict, starting a test server through a web page, but I can't find it now...
Last edited by mr64bit on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---mr64bit
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

You could get it hosted on Bzaddict, I bet allejo would be glad to host it! :)
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

bzaddicts a great way to test, personally I actually use bzaddict to test, its actually fast then using doing it locally, one tab I have open for testing the map, another for starting/stopping the server, it saves me probably 5-15 seconds per test, but I test quite often, around 1 test a minute to 2 minutes, so over time its saving me a pretty good amount of time, especially if I'm testing a map for a few hours. If you use a 3D editor this method is not possible however.
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

So apparently I always get mentioned in posts and I'm not aware of it. Anyhow, if you'd like a map hosted, I can give you an account for BZAddict's online control panel if you are interested. I am one amongst other map hosts.
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

allejo wrote:So apparently I always get mentioned in posts and I'm not aware of it. Anyhow, if you'd like a map hosted, I can give you an account for BZAddict's online control panel if you are interested. I am one amongst other map hosts.
Sorry I was just thinking. I think your a very nice guy and you would do it. Yeah, I'm soooo sorry bout Mentioning you in posts. I will PM you next time :). + it's Free!
TheMagicCookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheMagicCookie »

I was gone for while guys, but im back (and with a different name).

To sigonasr2, i will think about it, and ty.

To blast, i dont HAVE a Linux machine, and on the GigaTux VPS, Windows hosting is more expensive and i cant afford it. Someday i intent to build another computer and i will instal Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, i haven't decided yet) and i may get a VPS then.

To Allejo: I would be very grateful if you would host my server, but im using Wings 3D, so would BZAddict work?

Thank you all for your kind answers!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Windows hosting wouldn't do you any good anyway. Nobody hosts public BZFlag servers on Windows for a reason. It does not work well.

As for your editor, that has nothing to do with who you can use for hosting, since you'll need a BZW file regardless.

mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

I think you may be a little confused about a VPS. (Virtual Private Server) If you pay for one, you basically get an account on a large computer at a datacenter. You would have remote terminal access (ssh) and probably a web-based control panel. Paying for a VPS really has nothing to do with what type of computer YOU have at your house. It's not something you run ON your computer. (you don't need to have a running Linux machine at your house to use a VPS) What you would do is install the BZFlag server on that machine (compiling the trunk version would be best), Copy and paste your map code into a .bzw file on that machine, (t doesn't matter what editor you use as long as it spits out a .bzw file the the BZFlag server can understand) write a .conf file, and start tweaking your server. That way, running a BZFlag server on VPS would cause no extra use of your internet, (other than you working on the server) and would not violate your ISPs terms of service.
---mr64bit
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

TheMagicCookie wrote:I was gone for while guys, but im back (and with a different name).

To sigonasr2, i will think about it, and ty.

To blast, i dont HAVE a Linux machine, and on the GigaTux VPS, Windows hosting is more expensive and i cant afford it. Someday i intent to build another computer and i will instal Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, i haven't decided yet) and i may get a VPS then.

To Allejo: I would be very grateful if you would host my server, but im using Wings 3D, so would BZAddict work?

Thank you all for your kind answers!
Using Wings 3D isn't an issue, I use Wings 3D for all my modeling needs. You must export to .bzw format in order for any server to be able to read the map. As long as you have a .bzw file, BZAddict will work fine for you. Sorry about the late delay, I usually lose IQ points every time I drift away from my PM inbox...