Random Map spawnzones

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Random Map spawnzones

Post by DeltaFlame »

is it possible to have flag spawnzones on a random map and if so how can it be done
im making several bzpaintball servers and people who have been paintballing will know that there is a mode like ctf but called centre flag so the flags are in the middle of the map but i want the bases to stay where they are

Hope somebody can help
Ragu sauce: If you gave this to someone who was actually from Italy, they'd punch you in the face.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Random Map spawnzones

Post by ahs3 »

Magick wrote:is it possible to have flag spawnzones on a random map and if so how can it be done
im making several bzpaintball servers and people who have been paintballing will know that there is a mode like ctf but called centre flag so the flags are in the middle of the map but i want the bases to stay where they are

Hope somebody can help

You can start a random map, and save the map using /saveworld then edit that saved world, with the correct zones.

Another option would be to write a script to generate a random map with the correct zones.

ahs3
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I am pretty sure that was not what was meant. I think he meant in CTF mode, move the colored flags.

This is possible just by specifying their location:

Code: Select all

zone
position 0 0 0
size 10 10 10
flag R*
end
This will make all red flags be within a 10x10x10 area in the center of the map. Again, I cannot stress the importance of the wiki: http://wiki.bzflag.org/Zone and the bzw documentation (I have a hosted copy at http://z-gamers.net/uploader/multi-file ... s/bzw.html)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

sigonasr2 wrote:I am pretty sure that was not what was meant. I think he meant in CTF mode, move the colored flags.

This is possible just by specifying their location:

Code: Select all

zone
position 0 0 0
size 10 10 10
flag R*
end
This will make all red flags be within a 10x10x10 area in the center of the map. Again, I cannot stress the importance of the wiki: http://wiki.bzflag.org/Zone and the bzw documentation (I have a hosted copy at http://z-gamers.net/uploader/multi-file ... s/bzw.html)
The OP said a random map, so ahs3's post was dead on.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

thanks for all your help. Ive saved a random map like ahs3 said but now im having trouble finding the map file. I have looked at the path it was saved to but when i look for the "AppData" part it isnt there
does anyone know where i should find it?
Ragu sauce: If you gave this to someone who was actually from Italy, they'd punch you in the face.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's a hidden folder.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

Magick, I have also had issues finding maps when using /saveworld.
I too have followed where it says..
Can't find it, maybe its an issues on windows?
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag 2.4.2 includes a shortcut in the start menu called "Browse User Data" that will take you to the base of the user data area. From there, you can go into the configuration directory, the screenshots, worlds, cache, etc. Note that it will not work on localized versions of Windows XP, but should work on localized versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7.

DeltaFlame
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeltaFlame »

well thats me stumped
thanks for trying anyways
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Magick wrote:well thats me stumped
thanks for trying anyways
So you can't figure out how to click on a shortcut from the start menu?