Server configuration

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server configuration

Post by JediChickk »

This is my conf.txt
I would appreciate if someone revised it and adjusted any errors.
Most common error is "can only limit to 1 or more shots, changing to 1" Would be easiest if you change any errors and forward the new conf.txt to me. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-i True

-publictitle "SuperCTF by FIreFIlies"

-publicaddr 70.196.194.158

-publickey 14634175251103203782

-publiclist True

#Greeting

-srvmsg "If you don't know what Happiness means, please leave this server and don't return till you do know. Thank you!"

#When this works out, please dont abuse this knowledge

-password "**********"

-filterCallsigns

-filterChat

-filterSimple

-poll vetoTime=10

-cr

-fb

-b

-mp 20

-mts 12

-mps 500

+s 15

-s 9

-t

-tftimeout 1

-j

+r

-ms 20

-a

-autoTeam

#(I always get "Bad Argument" here)
+f R*{2} +f G*{2} +f B*{2} +f P*{2}

-adminlagannounce

#What should I set the jitter #'s to?
-jitterwarn 0

-jitterdrop 0

-packetlosswarn 0

-packetlossdrop 0

+f good{400} +f V{5} +f QT{5} +f OO{5} +f F{6} +f MG{3} +f GM{10} +f L{10} +f SB{6} +f IB{5} +f ST{20} +f T{5} +f N{5} +f SH{5} +f SR{5} +f SW{10} +f G{2} +f ID{3} +f CL{10} +f MQ{20} +f SE{10} +f TH{3} +f WG{7} +f A{5}

-f bad -f CB -f LT -f RT -f FO -f M -f JM -f WA -f NJ -f TR -f BY -f RC

-sl MG 100 -sl GM 12 -sl L 13 -sl SB 40 -sl SR 0 -sl SW 14 -sl G 6 -sl CL 15 -sl MQ 16 -sl SE 20 -sl TH 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I have the file attached if that is easier for you.
Attachments
conf.txt
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: Server configuration

Post by optic delusion »

This might get you closer.
Look here for more info.
http://wiki.bzflag.org/Sample_conf
Attachments
conf.txt
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

Thanks, I will look at it right away.
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

I am having lots of error reports with the flags.
Ex:
bad argument "V{5}"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Here's some advice: If you don't know what an option is for or how to use it, you generally don't need it.

Nautical Domination wrote:-i True
This is not a boolean value. This would be set to the network interface IP address, and is only needed if you have multiple IP addresses. So unless your local system has multiple interfaces or IP addresses, just get rid of this option.
Nautical Domination wrote:-publictitle "SuperCTF by FIreFIlies"

-publicaddr 70.196.194.158

-publickey 14634175251103203782
This looks okay.
Nautical Domination wrote:-publiclist True
Again, this is not a boolean value. 99.999% of the time you do not need this option. It is only needed if you intend to use an alternative list server, which you probably do not want to do.
Nautical Domination wrote:#Greeting

-srvmsg "If you don't know what Happiness means, please leave this server and don't return till you do know. Thank you!"

#When this works out, please dont abuse this knowledge

-password "**********"
This looks okay.
Nautical Domination wrote:-filterCallsigns

-filterChat

-filterSimple
These are useless unless you have a badwords file specified, which you don't.
Nautical Domination wrote:-poll vetoTime=10

-cr

-fb

-b

-mp 20

-mts 12

-mps 500
This looks okay, though you may not want to mts or mps. Once that triggers, the game will be "over" and "Game Over" will flash on the screen until people rejoin.
Nautical Domination wrote:+s 15

-s 9
The -s should be higher than the +s... Since +s says "always have at least X random flags" and -s says "have at most X random flags".
Nautical Domination wrote:-t
This looks okay.
Nautical Domination wrote:-tftimeout 1
Do you really want the team flag to reset 1 second after someone drops it?
Nautical Domination wrote:-j

+r

-ms 20
This looks okay.
Nautical Domination wrote:-a
The -a option takes two parameters, and you gave it none. I'd say just leave this one off, since we have a default acceleration limit in 2.4 as far as I know.
Nautical Domination wrote:-autoTeam

#(I always get "Bad Argument" here)
+f R*{2} +f G*{2} +f B*{2} +f P*{2}
You were getting bad argument because you left off the two parameters for -a, so it was reading -autoteam and +f as the two parameters.
Nautical Domination wrote:-adminlagannounce
Again, this takes a value... I'd recommend leaving it off, as it gets really annoying.
Nautical Domination wrote:#What should I set the jitter #'s to?
-jitterwarn 0

-jitterdrop 0

-packetlosswarn 0

-packetlossdrop 0
A sane lag warn is 300 (with a drop at 3 to 5), jitter warn at 20 or 30 (again, with a drop at 3 to 5), and a packet loss warn could be as low as 2 (with a drop from 3 to 5).
Nautical Domination wrote:+f good{400} +f V{5} +f QT{5} +f OO{5} +f F{6} +f MG{3} +f GM{10} +f L{10} +f SB{6} +f IB{5} +f ST{20} +f T{5} +f N{5} +f SH{5} +f SR{5} +f SW{10} +f G{2} +f ID{3} +f CL{10} +f MQ{20} +f SE{10} +f TH{3} +f WG{7} +f A{5}
Reduce the count of "good" flags. It does not do what you think it does. When you use the "good" and "bad" keywords to add flags, it adds 1 of every flags of that category. So +f good{400} will add 400 of every good flag, not simply 400 flags.
Nautical Domination wrote:-f bad -f CB -f LT -f RT -f FO -f M -f JM -f WA -f NJ -f TR -f BY -f RC
If you use -f bad, you don't need to disallow the bad flags individually. Additionally, the -f option ONLY affects the random flags spawns, as in, the ones controlled by +s and -s.
-sl MG 100 -sl GM 12 -sl L 13 -sl SB 40 -sl SR 0 -sl SW 14 -sl G 6 -sl CL 15 -sl MQ 16 -sl SE 20 -sl TH 5
A shot limit on steam roller is silly.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

Blast, I appreciate you very much for this. Thank you! I will apply these changes and let you know how it goes.
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

Blast, I started the server with no errors, thank you. Now I will go join in at localhost and see if everything matches my requirements, then I will get back with you.
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

Blast, Maybe I am doing something wrong.. here is my process to start the server

1.Open CMD
2.Type cd c:\program files\bzflag2.4.2_32bit (my bzflag directory)
3.Type bzfs.exe -conf c:\conf.txt (conf directory)

I then get a report from the server saying:
Note: no acceleration limit has been set. Players using "mouse
enhancements" may cause problems on this server due to very high
acceleration rates which are not handled well by dead reckoning
algorithms. To eliminate this warning, set the -a switch in your
configuration. '-a 50 38' is recommended for standard-speed servers.
Higher speed servers will need higher values for -a in order to not
affect gameplay. '-a 0 0' may be used to shut this message up withou
affecting any players, including those using "mouse enhancements".

4.Open bz and type localhost as the server and 5154 as the port
5.Connect

I then join the server but cannot spawn and server disconnects upon me sending a chat message as a tank.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You probably have too many flags.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

How can I know this?
JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

So I took out the flags line altogether and now i can play on it but it is not public and has no registered owner. I have to go but I will be back in a few hours. If were quick we can set it up so that you can get on and host it and stuff till then.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Your public IP address has changed, so you'll have to fix that. I'd recommend getting a hostname that points to your public IP address so that you don't have to change your config and get a new key every time your ISP changes your IP address. That would involve signing up for a service such as http://freedns.afraid.org/ and getting a hostname there, and then running their update client to detect changes.

Additionally, nobody hosts public servers from Windows since it never works very well. You should really use a Linux system of some kind for hosting BZFlag servers. And what is your server going to do that the other 200 don't? Do we really need another server?

JediChickk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JediChickk »

it is going to give me experience, and also, the main reason I even play bz is cause I love to administrate.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you want experience, rent a cheap Linux VPS and host it there. It'll work much better. There's a reason nobody hosts public servers on Windows.