NEW GU LEAGUE OPTION

Discussion for GU League Players
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

NEW GU LEAGUE OPTION

Post by Snake12534 »

I certainly believe that the GU League should add a new option called the Snake Option. The gu league has recently made an option allowing uneven matches, their reasons explaining that newer teams vsing harder teams will have more fun. Well this is Awesome! :) though there's a problem. If you think in to it, most newer teams or newbie teams do not have as much players. That means 3vs2 won't happen as often unless a noobish team has 3 players or more. So I thought, let's do 2vs2 then I thought, but in a different way. The snake way. The other team would be have a a slight disadvantage. Such as when spawning, it will take them twice as long. OR their speed would decrease slightly, OR they will only have 2 bullets, or they reload slower, etc... Goes on, I do know that this takes a lot of programming to do, but I hope the GU League will soon find a way ti do the Snake Option. Cuz I'm pretty sure this will be fun for both teams :) Please put your opinion. "Past Overcomes Present" - Snake12534(Leader of Reptiles)
retired
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: NEW GU LEAGUE OPTION

Post by mr64bit »

There is the -handicap server option, but this causes score errors and kicks players.
---mr64bit
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Or, you could continue matching better teams on a level playing field, so that your skills improve over time and you become more competitive.

We just introduced an option that allows some leveling of the playing field. However, I do not believe there is a need for any additional similar options, as even this one has not yet (AFAIK) seen significant use.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

Constitution is correct here.
You have to draw the line somewhere.
If you just keep allowing advantages to other (weaker) teams, then there is no point being a better player?
Also one could not possibly make all these "fair' decisions before a match.
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Reptiles had fought many teams, from easy to hard. We lost all 50 matches, 1 win though and another win (finally) yesterday due to forfeit. We draw one time only. We practice daily, seems like as we get harder, they get harder.

Firing Squad had told me that a better way for snake option is letting the weaker team cap 3 times b4 the game actually really starts ;) i think this is a great idea
retired
brad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad »

:doh:
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

And would those 3 captures carry over into the actual match?
Last edited by mr64bit on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---mr64bit
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Define more specifally. Well, both teams have to agree before the team advance a cap
retired
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

Let's say that before the official match starts, team A caps 2 points. When the match starts, would the score be 2-0? Or would the score get reset, and the match would start 0-0.
---mr64bit
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

During the match
retired
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Play hard, get better.

(suck it up.)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

ducktape wrote:Play hard, get better.

(suck it up.)
This.

Score handicaps and lopsided match conditions are primarily for funmatches. Since official matches affect the ranking system, match conditions should generally be equal and consistent for both teams. Uneven numbers of players is a very limited, experimental venture outside of that guideline. We are not going to be introducing a slew of new similar options.
Snake12534 wrote:Reptiles had fought many teams, from easy to hard. We lost all 50 matches, 1 win though and another win (finally) yesterday due to forfeit. We draw one time only. We practice daily, seems like as we get harder, they get harder.
Teams play to the skill level of their opponents. I know I play a lot worse (generally) against weaker teams where there is a comfortable margin of experience level in our favor than I do against really strong teams or teams that we are evenly matched against. It is normal as you improve for other players to start trying a lot harder and take fewer risks against you. Eventually, with patience and practice, you will be more competitive. Plus, there are always new players coming to the league who you already have an advantage over.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Constitution wrote:
ducktape wrote:Play hard, get better.

(suck it up.)
This.

Score handicaps and lopsided match conditions are primarily for funmatches. Since official matches affect the ranking system, match conditions should generally be equal and consistent for both teams. Uneven numbers of players is a very limited, experimental venture outside of that guideline. We are not going to be introducing a slew of new similar options.
Snake12534 wrote:Reptiles had fought many teams, from easy to hard. We lost all 50 matches, 1 win though and another win (finally) yesterday due to forfeit. We draw one time only. We practice daily, seems like as we get harder, they get harder.
Teams play to the skill level of their opponents. I know I play a lot worse (generally) against weaker teams where there is a comfortable margin of experience level in our favor than I do against really strong teams or teams that we are evenly matched against. It is normal as you improve for other players to start trying a lot harder and take fewer risks against you. Eventually, with patience and practice, you will be more competitive. Plus, there are always new players coming to the league who you already have an advantage over.
Well Consti, I actually agree about what you said " New players " Sure, we will have an advantage, but looking at staticstics, not alot of new players had register for gu league for a long time. Also, we could advance, but as repeated, Reptiles will never improve.
retired
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

Snake12534 wrote:Reptiles will never improve.
That is why.
---mr64bit
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Yes Mr64Bit, Reptiles will never improve unless a skilled player joins, sure I have queezle, adamlee14, and keke_14. There are pretty good but, with me I lower the odds. Only I match with my mates, only 2 times had I ever had to match without me, (Unclelightning and Magiccookie) and (Idk and Idk) Anyways, the point is, we will NOT improve, we will not win until next month or 2 or 3. This is why I suggest the Snake Option.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Snake12534 wrote:Yes Mr64Bit, Reptiles will never improve unless a skilled player joins, sure I have queezle, adamlee14, and keke_14. There are pretty good but, with me I lower the odds. Only I match with my mates, only 2 times had I ever had to match without me, (Unclelightning and Magiccookie) and (Idk and Idk) Anyways, the point is, we will NOT improve, we will not win until next month or 2 or 3. This is why I suggest the Snake Option.
So are you saying that you are incapable of or unwilling to improve your own skill level? If so, then competitive play probably isn't for you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

pan
Private
Private

Post by pan »

Seems to me you're focusing too much only on winning. There are lots of teams that have been where you are and looking at the site, you're currently not alone. If the game isn't fun for you -win or lose - then, I'm with blast; competitive play ain't for you.
But if you're willing to stick it out, then: Watch/ride with skilled players...see what they do. Watch the really skilled teams in their teamwork....learn from them. Play lots of matches!!!!! Fm with your mates and develop teamwork together.....learn each others strengths and weaknesses. Play lots of officials...period!

No offense, but constantly harping on losing and the 'unfairness of matching' just makes you sound really, really young and probably in need of a coppa to be signed....And naming an option after yourself underscores that.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

... All I have to say is, all of you guys reach just in your saying. "Comepetitive play" , "Practice" , "Learn from learing others" Yes, all true, and I do agree that I sound like as if a whiny kid saying "That's not fair" BUT I am very competetive, I prefer winning over losing, but I defintly prefer losing over not matching. We learn. As a team, we learn. I get detailed with all my mates, I study their constant PDT schedule, create suggestions, play bz when they are on. My team one time also decided to watch the best player for an hour in a match. Yes, we improve. I had noticed I had improved gradually MYSELF. Also the TEAM, we actually won a 2v2. Our 1st won was cuz they had to leave, and just gave us the won. For example, I 1vs1 Faith b4 a few months ago. I then again 1vs1 him again and the score almost tied up while the match a long time ago was close to 10-0. I really do believe my team will get back on its feet, maybe even defeat Rainbow, FB, FF. But how does this all lead to the "Snake Option" Cuz I believe teams have an advantage in learning when they have an advantage, not just too big one. So that way, a team will not lose and lose and lose, cuz I had been taught trial and error doesn't work in gu league. We get better when we have a small advantage, and we do improve, we wouldn't need an advantage at all.
retired
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

How does getting an advantage make you better? It is a crutch and will just hold you back.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

Learning is a win.
Playing with honour is a win.
You will learn more from a loss than a win.

If you lose a match but learn from it and demonstrate honour of the field of battle then good for you.
Two out of three ain't bad.

Remember also that once you start winning you will gain major points because of your lower E.L.O. rating.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Also starting off with a lead in points may just make you a better camper, not a better overall defender.
NTH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NTH »

What happens if your team is given 3 clear points and gets beaten 10-3 or 10-4. Should we raise the starting points to 7 ? then if you get beaten 14-9 we will have to raise the points again. it sounds to me that you only want to win, I'm afraid that your system is flawed it will never work.
NTH

Why is it when someone says there is a more than a billion stars in the sky you believe them, but if that same person says wet paint you have to touch it to make sure.

You die you spawn ..... You die you spawn .....
Only you controls the length of time between the two.

BZ Cycle of life
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

NTH, I had learned that winning is not how you suceed in the league, but improving does. The thing about Reptiles is that, we want to actually have fun using a small advantage. Stats: 80% of my mates over thr past year left Reptiles due to the fact we are losing. They would like to have fun on a team that wins often. I, as a leader, is speaking for my mates, not myself. I believe that a small advantage is not required, and we should improve. But if i support this, my teammates would leave. Thankfully some a few of my teammates support this such as Keke14 and Uncle lightning. Though a few is not enough in order to be an active team. For example, one of my best mates (not the best, but great) Slyther366 left my team because we kept losing. I was hoping we would improve enough to win a battle, but I was too late. Also, most recently, my mate Queezle left the team due to the same reason. Now I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. Thank you & please give me your opinion.
retired
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

50% of that 80% is due to your kicking.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Snake12534 wrote:NTH, I had learned that winning is not how you suceed in the league, but improving does. The thing about Reptiles is that, we want to actually have fun using a small advantage. Stats: 80% of my mates over thr past year left Reptiles due to the fact we are losing. They would like to have fun on a team that wins often. I, as a leader, is speaking for my mates, not myself. I believe that a small advantage is not required, and we should improve. But if i support this, my teammates would leave. Thankfully some a few of my teammates support this such as Keke14 and Uncle lightning. Though a few is not enough in order to be an active team. For example, one of my best mates (not the best, but great) Slyther366 left my team because we kept losing. I was hoping we would improve enough to win a battle, but I was too late. Also, most recently, my mate Queezle left the team due to the same reason. Now I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. Thank you & please give me your opinion.
It sounds like you should just disband the team and then you can all join other teams that need players so that you can get better. Then maybe later split off those and make your own team again.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)