BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 are Breaking!

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag 2.0.14 and 2.0.16 are Breaking!

Post by Sniper752 »

Tanx wrote:I doubt another version would have a substantial effect, it may have a slight impact, but none that would be long lasting. But if you wish to pursue this you could always contribute ;)
I would, I so would. But I don't have time to learn the programming language and all that. Life has been busy lately :(
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

Tanx wrote:another solution is obvious as well, and quite simple. Make a ffa map, should it matter what version it is?
Green Manalishi wrote:i wouldn't worry about making a new map. even since the time 2.4 came out, some very good ffa maps have been created. they are simply not getting played on. new maps have even less of a chance compared to established ones like mystic valley, badgerking's, eria ziel, ancient & modern..
and then ahs3 created riot ffa and he placed it in the server list.. seems you were right, and i was wrong. i've probably never been happier to be proven wrong. ffa is back with a bang!
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

We need to advertise bzflag on the net. Maybe some popular websites such as facebook? Or Youtube? If the developers somehow recieve enough money to advertise, bz will be way popular. Maybe a donate site? Cuz i will defintly donate for my favorite game. And also NEVER make bzflag not free. Only when like 1000 players are on many servers at once.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Snake12534 wrote:We need to advertise bzflag on the net.
Not worth doing. Really, do some reading before posting ideas that others have posted before.
Snake12534 wrote:Maybe some popular websites such as facebook? Or Youtube?
People already do that to some extent.
Snake12534 wrote:If the developers somehow recieve enough money to advertise, bz will be way popular.
Wrong.
Snake12534 wrote:Maybe a donate site? Cuz i will defintly donate for my favorite game.
BZFlag had accepted donations, but they all went to a single person. Additionally, I think BZFlag has some funds from GSoC sitting around in an account already.
Snake12534 wrote:And also NEVER make bzflag not free.
BZFlag is LGPL, so even if Tim (the copyright holder) decided to make it a paid commercial game, which he likely wouldn't, that would not retroactively change the license on the previously released code. To summarize: What has been released will always be free.
Snake12534 wrote:Only when like 1000 players are on many servers at once.
BZFlag has never been and never will be that popular.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:
Snake12534 wrote:We need to advertise bzflag on the net.
Not worth doing. Really, do some reading before posting ideas that others have posted before.
Snake12534 wrote:Maybe some popular websites such as facebook? Or Youtube?
People already do that to some extent.
Snake12534 wrote:If the developers somehow recieve enough money to advertise, bz will be way popular.
Wrong.
Snake12534 wrote:Maybe a donate site? Cuz i will defintly donate for my favorite game.
BZFlag had accepted donations, but they all went to a single person. Additionally, I think BZFlag has some funds from GSoC sitting around in an account already.
Snake12534 wrote:And also NEVER make bzflag not free.
BZFlag is LGPL, so even if Tim (the copyright holder) decided to make it a paid commercial game, which he likely wouldn't, that would not retroactively change the license on the previously released code. To summarize: What has been released will always be free.
Snake12534 wrote:Only when like 1000 players are on many servers at once.
BZFlag has never been and never will be that popular.
Thank you for the details, though can you give the link to the donate site? And bzflag can have a chance of being popular if we advertise. You said it was not worth doing? Why is that? Does it take too much time or work?
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You advertise when it's going to actually pay off. It would not pay off. As for donations, I said "had", as in, past tense.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)