"Trainer" map suggestion box

Previews and comments on future maps.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: "Trainer" map suggestion box

Post by SkillDude »

cdogg9200 wrote:This is the time where JeffM comes in and crashes the party!
I have one word for people like you.
cdogg9200 wrote:[...] but we have to make sure this is all feasible.
Everything discussed in this thread is quite possible, I am sure we know what we are talking about. If you do not have experience with what can and cannot be done, do not criticize on them.

The only reason why I wish for the flags to be there is because it is crucial to the game. No beginner player is going to enjoy playing on the no flag maps at first. Teaching them the flags would be helpful. In addition, I like the random flag idea, that is definitely a possibility, then it plays like the real game. I was considering the extra explanation thing (Because I know the flag help exists) because some flags are unclear in what they do. It would be a guide text mostly.

So for example, you grab "Agility". The text tells you your tank is nimble and quick to move. However, I myself as a beginner did not figure out this flag for quite awhile. Give them a tip such as "Try moving the mouse / keyboard keys back and forth constantly to get a boost." Another example is "Tiny" and "Narrow". Unless they have shadows and/or tank treads enabled, they may not know the power of the ability. Give them some blocks in say a corner or something and say "See those blocks in the corner of the map? You can fit through them!" Things like that, just to help them get going on learning how the flag works.

However, putting flags like Oscillation Overthruster and Phantom Zone would not work because you are able to go through buildings, and you probably do not want that. (Unless you float the map, make them fall through, and have a floating teleporter back up to the battlefield (That cannot be jumped into normally). At least have a way to emphasize how the flag works is the only thing I could think of for those.

I just would really like to see a map where all elements are the game are emphasized. Even having two-parters or a "Starter Tutorial Map" and "Advanced Tutorial Map".
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Yeah, the guide text thing sounds good. I was thinking the same thing. And honestly, I still think there should be a way to float this to the top of the serverlist if it ever happens. Even if there are rules against that sort of thing, this should be an exception because it might give the game new life. It isn't that hard to figure out that the whole project is kind of in a rut right now.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

It's taking a while, but i'm making progress! *crowd cheer*

Now, would someone like to make the 'billboard' explaining the MoFo Jump? Don't need to be much, just about 10 frames perhaps with text, explaining how to do it?
Can't do that myself, no gaming internet any more :(
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

What exactly is the Mofo jump?
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Dart, on the main mofo map in the corners where the team bases are in the ctf map or where most people snipe on the ffa map, there's a very skinny platform on the 3rd level of the map. To get up there without any superflag, you need to go right to the edge of the 2nd level platform and jump up with a slight spin, so that you are parallel to the skinny platform when you are at its level and spin just enough to land on it. That may have been a little confusing, as it isn't the easiest thing to explain. Of course, it'd be much easier to show you...
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Not sure I remember ever seeing the skinny platform. But is the jump kind of like what people use on Apocalypse whenever they have to jump from the side of the box up to the bridge connecting to the base?
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

I think I was being a little too specific with the map. I looked on the forums for another (better) explanation of the "MoFo" jump, and I came across a .gif that Ratfink made a while ago explaining how it works.

http://forums.bzflag.org/download/file.php?id=11094

Hopefully it's a little clearer what the MoFo jump is.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

"Basic training"

Post by Agent West »

Please help testing the center section of the map. Some parts of the map are still under construction and are buggy. I am more interested in general feel at this time.
Attachments
Trainer_map.bzw
Map file
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

Looks good in observer mode.
When I started the server, I got

Code: Select all

/home/bzflag/bzflag_stuff/trainer.bzw: warning (line 134): unknown object parameter "notexture" - skipping
couldn't find reference material: one_way.png
/home/bzflag/bzflag_stuff/trainer.bzw: warning (line 381): unknown object parameter "matref" - skipping
/home/bzflag/bzflag_stuff/trainer.bzw: warning (line 385): discarding incomplete object
couldn't find reference material: one_way.png
/home/bzflag/bzflag_stuff/trainer.bzw: warning (line 1622): unknown object parameter "matref" - skipping
/home/bzflag/bzflag_stuff/trainer.bzw: warning (line 1627): discarding incomplete object
And when I tried to join as a tank, I always spawned on the ground, despite the spawn zones.
Also, my client couldn't load "exit.png", which I assume I just don't have.
Not sure how to fix this, just giving feedback. ;)
I really do like the fog on the ground, and I'm assuming you'd die if you fell?
---mr64bit
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Thanks, mr64bit. I am aware of the "matref" and "notexture" bugs and are working on fixing them. The "exit.png" texture is one of the few that are uploaded to images.bzflag.org (BZFlag's trusted texture hosting site) but it takes a few days to process them. Should be availabe for next playtest version.
Was not aware of spawnzone bug, will fix that too.

And yes, if you fall you die. Although you gotta fall about half way to the ground before death.

Really wish Windows Notepad came with numbered lines, woulda made this a bit easier.
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

http://www.textpad.com/
This is my favorite text editor. I highly recommend it.
Glad I could help!
---mr64bit
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

That is a great editor! Thanks for the link.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Agent West wrote:Really wish Windows Notepad came with numbered lines, woulda made this a bit easier.
Better editor aside, Windows Notepad can show you the current line number. Turn off word wrap and turn on the status bar, and the bottom will show you the current line number.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

This is a really interesting project which, as far as I'm concerned, would help increase the number of BZFlag players during this painful recession.
However, I think it would be better if the map were put in a github/bitbucket repo, so as to allow faster and easier development.
As for the editor, I think that Notepad++ is your best bet on Windows.
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Textures got approved, so have put them into the map. Gave me "not downloading" error though. Could it be from textures too big? They are around 900x500 .png format.
Attachments
Trainer_map.bzw
Map file, texturised, more or less.
(28.69 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Agent West wrote:Textures got approved, so have put them into the map. Gave me "not downloading" error though. Could it be from textures too big? They are around 900x500 .png format.
Please specify a license for this file.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

As usual with my files, anyone cause use all or part of them for any non-commercial project.

Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Did you ever release it working, correctly?

For example while I see teleporters in it, I do not see any links that make the teleporter active so that people can through them and be teleported to the other location. :(

Thank you