Noob

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
3xcl4m4t10n
Private
Private

Noob

Post by 3xcl4m4t10n »

Hello there! I was wondering if it can be possible an adaptation/port to GZW ZERO. Here i drop the oficial web with it specs.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw ... g-handheld
http://www.gcw-zero.com/specifications

Thank you so much for your time:-)
joevano
General
General

Re: Noob

Post by joevano »

It only supports OpenGL ES, so I think that makes it a "no" at this point. It would require a rewrite of all the graphics code.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not to mention that other code would need to be tweaked or optimized. The input code would need to be set up to work with those controls by default, but that's relatively easy. Also, some of our code would need to be optimized so the game would actually have playable performance on the device.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Everyone focuses on the GL part, but that is only one small bit.

That thing may be running Linux but that dost' mean it's running X windows. So you will also have to add platform code for display setup and sound as well as replacing the input system with whatever API they have.

The game system would have to be modified to allow for things that are unique to mobile, like instant shutoff, and lack of WIFI signal, this wold make it mostly unplayable with regular PC users.

Anything is possible with the code, but we won't be focusing on mobile in this project, there are no compelling reasons to make 2 games when we aren't even doing one very well.

As with all the other posts that have suggested a mobile port, you are welcome to do it yourself in your own project, it's just that it is a different project and won't be part of BZFlag. The joy of open source is that you CAN do this.
ImageJeffM
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Am I the only one wondering how the topic name is appropriate for this subject?