Playing over LAN and Virtual LAN

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
razer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Playing over LAN and Virtual LAN

Post by razer »

A few questions that i thought of if i wanted to set up a BZF LAN party of sorts, or just set the game up on a LAN

What is the best way to create a basic setup for a LAN environment? say, an office or series of offices all connected by Layer 3 switches (basically).

can i create a server in the game with the create server button and then have other people on my LAN be able to find it using find servers?

im going to continue to look around for pages about this sort of thing. maybe theres a wiki somewheres
blast
General
General

Re: Playing over LAN and Virtual LAN

Post by blast »

Servers on the same broadcast domain as the client (so, layer 2) running on the default port (5154) can automatically be detected. However, I'm not sure if the detected hostname will always work, so you might have to just type the IP directly.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

razer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by razer »

thats what i figured, i take back my previous statement of layer 3 switches... they run at layer 2.. lol dumb moment, anyhows, yeah its just not user friendly for Marines to be typing ips when theyre not data-types xD so we will see what happens

also this can all be simluated across a VLAN VPN right?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A VLAN is different than a VPN. A VLAN is handled with your network switch, whereas a VPN is handled with software on the computer. With a VLAN, the clients/server would just behave like they're on a normal network. With a VPN, you'd have an additional network interface and IP segment. I'm not sure if the local discovery would work over a VPN, but it would work over a VLAN.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

razer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by razer »

well i would expect it across a normal VLAN that's still within the same LAN locally, in say a whole office block. I know the difference between a VLAN and a VPN, what i meant by both of the things together was Hamachi, aka logmein. the way i see it, its a VPNetwork but its also a virtual LAN of sorts.. its a gray area to me.. either way, would discovery work over a LAN such as that? probably not.. since Hamachi assigns its own ips across the VPN.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Try it and see.

razer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by razer »

join my hamachi network ;D

Terraria-miramar shouldn't have a password
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah.. no thanks. I'm fine not exposing myself to random VPNs.

razer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by razer »

i can asure you there is nothing malicious on our vpn..

but its whatever, we'll figure it out