language filter

Discussion for GU League Players
blast
General
General

Re: language filter

Post by blast »

There is some quirks with the language filtering code, which is why I was asking if it was false positives. There are times when a word gets blocked only when another word or letter appears in the next word or latter in the sentence.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

benji 13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by benji 13 »

you can't even type "yo ben" on bzbg. though it's not my problem (there's no other ben in gu so far) Im kind of annoyed.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And that's why my servers are only using the English words from the simpleSwearList.txt - because there was too many false positives with the other languages. That false positive you mentioned is likely being triggered by a three letter Russian word, as the filter would be ignoring whitespace.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

blast wrote:There is some quirks with the language filtering code, which is why I was asking if it was false positives. There are times when a word gets blocked only when another word or letter appears in the next word or latter in the sentence.
Let's face it, the aggressive lang filter is bad. Put any two swears together without a space between and its not detected. Insert a letter in a swear and it's not blocked (that's how Swiss boy gets 100% evasion).

In other words, the aggressive filter is like a simple filter with the added functionality of blocking a lot of non-swears.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Would be very helpful, if the servers were identified on which these things are happening.
I'm not sure the various servers are using the same language filter.......specifying which servers you are experiencing this on.
Precise examples of where the filter backfires would be helpful as well.....
-appreciate your help in this. :)
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

You know, there's always the option of admins doing their jobs. I mean, we have something like 246,897,134,637.84 admins, and if it's really that difficult for one of them to be around often enough to deal with major language issues, I don't even have enough ways to say "You guys need training." Besides, in the absence of an admin, there's generally someone who will get his panties in a wad enough to take a screenshot, and if there's not, apparently no one's all that offended. The filter is causing more problems than it solves, and it shouldn't need to solve the problems it would be solving.
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Anathema wrote:The filter is causing more problems than it solves, and it shouldn't need to solve the problems it would be solving.
Really? Provide specific evidence instead of just vague complaints. "It doesn't work right" isn't enough information to fix anything.

Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

Judging from everything these people have said so far and my experiences with the filter on my own maps, in which there are many false positives, the filter is not a help. I'm not so much attacking the filter as attacking the fact that we feel like we need a filter. And if we need a filter that badly, we should get/make one that doesn't inspire people to start forum threads about it being intrusive or cumbersome.

Something that this DOES impede is team or private chat as a designated outlet (I cite many instances of public swearing by many players during matches, wherein admins said "Use team chat if you're going to swear.") and therefore is probably going to increase tensions. I did run into a couple of false positives with the filter today, though I can't remember just what they were.

Also, the last game I played that had a language filter was Club Penguin. Just saying.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Anathema wrote:Judging from everything these people have said so far and my experiences with the filter on my own maps, in which there are many false positives, the filter is not a help. I'm not so much attacking the filter as attacking the fact that we feel like we need a filter. And if we need a filter that badly, we should get/make one that doesn't inspire people to start forum threads about it being intrusive or cumbersome.

Something that this DOES impede is team or private chat as a designated outlet (I cite many instances of public swearing by many players during matches, wherein admins said "Use team chat if you're going to swear.") and therefore is probably going to increase tensions. I did run into a couple of false positives with the filter today, though I can't remember just what they were.

Also, the last game I played that had a language filter was Club Penguin. Just saying.
So you can't come up with any specific complaint then? Interesting.

Additionally, at least on my match servers, I specifically say "Keep the conversations kid friendly. Profanity and insults are not tolerated." I don't say "Only swear in private chat", so I mean that there should be NO profanity or insults.

Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

I fail to see why it matters that I don't have any specific complaint about the filter because I'm speaking primarily of the (for lack of a better term) cultural problems that are causing it to seem necessary. If I was complaining that the filter is inadequate I would have my argument lined up. What I'm trying to get across here is that I don't see why we need a filter, especially in light of others' complaints, listed in posts before mine, that the filter is inadequate.

I don't recall where players were told to restrict swearing to private chats, but I've seen it several times. As server owner, your policy is your business. Take it up with the admins if there's a problem. Unless they're not around, which they might not be, if they can't enforce the rules on a case-by-case basis.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Turns out I was referencing the wrong file on my servers so stuff was getting blocked a bit too aggressively (and there were indeed some false positives, such as 'cu!' and 'put on' getting blocked).

FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

Anathema wrote:Take it up with the admins if there's a problem. Unless they're not around, which they might not be, if they can't enforce the rules on a case-by-case basis.
The filter was implemented mostly due to requests by Admins. Language was becoming a very divisive issue, where cultural differences resulted in inconsistent enforcement of what was considered abusive.
The filter is an attempt to set a norm that people can get used to. If there are false positives then they can be addressed. Of course people can get around the filter, but this is a very deliberate act. Essentially they are saying "I know this is unacceptable, but I'm going to say it anyway". This makes policing the servers far easier and I, for one, have noticed a lot less trouble regarding this issue since the filter was implemented.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Despite the general atmosphere here, people DO complain to us about bad language, which most often happens when an admin is not present. This is what the language filter is supposed to reduce/discourage. No, it is not perfect, but yes, there is a reason for it being there.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I don't mind the filter system currently used on brad's and as of recent bzbg. Instead of blocking the entire message it simply filters out the swear word in question, which isn't a big hindrance in terms of communicating during matches in those heated situations. Thank you!
However, blast, mana: would it be possible to use this system on excess and bzf as well? Consistency in the filtering system would be nice and this "updated" version seems to be a fair compromise.

P.S.: "fps" is currently being filtered for some reason.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The one that blocks the entire message is the "updated" version. The one that blocks just the single word is the built-in bzfs filtering that's been in the server for years.

dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Well, the updated version is a little constrictive but apparently not all bad... (as was discussed here in length) and as brad/ahs3 were willing to try an alternative, are you?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I was one that pushed for the use of the swearSupressor plugin that blocks the entire message. Sooooo... no.