Mouse Box Idea

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
the minne missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mouse Box Idea

Post by the minne missile »

I was just curious whether or not there was a way to modify the inner mouse box without modifying the outer frame. I've found that I prefer the responsiveness of the kb, but frankly I don't think my kb can take much more abuse; so I figured just changing the inner box to a larger setting would be an easy solution. I've dug around some and it seems a bit more complicated than I want it to be.. Has anyone tried this before?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Mouse Box Idea

Post by JeffM »

The current method of setting "sensitivity" and 'dead zones' is not great. It ties your mouse performance to several factors that have nothing to do with the mouse, like the box sizes and the resolution of your screen.

We have discussed making the game have a more traditional sensitivity setting that isn't tied to screen size and changing the visual feedback that the HUD gives to be useful for more then just the mouse (Keyboard, and Joysticks).

Using a mouse cursor for visual feedback isn't great, it means the cursor covers where a targeting reticule would go in the center, and isn't always intuitive to new users, ( They have a mouse arrow and can't click on any of the GUI menus...)

The new idea would remove the mouse cursor, add a target reticule (cross-hair) for aiming, and do a better job of showing your speed both forward/backward and turning for all the input types.
ImageJeffM
the minne missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

I have messed around with this a little and have been able to make some progress. looking closer the only changes I had needed to make were in changing a few ratios, I made too many assumptions about what was tied together when I started..

I've actually gone the other way to make the inner box miniscule so you can have a lot of control of your tanks movements (downside being you're almost always moving a tiny bit..) but I think it's in a way what I was looking for.. Just in testing making the inner box too big made it difficult to turn and move at the same time (the area you had to put your mouse in was too small).. Putting in crosshairs makes it visually a lot easier to use as well (turning/moving forward is much more intuitive..)

I also went ahead and added a slider setting to GUI Settings for fun to control the inner box.. Adding a graph showing your forward/revers speed wouldn't be too difficult either..

So... now that this is all in place... It's not cheating right?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

zoo wrote:So... now that this is all in place... It's not cheating right?
Depends who you ask.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

the minne missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Who should I be asking? Or how can I get this so that everyone has access to it?
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

zoo wrote:Who should I be asking? Or how can I get this so that everyone has access to it?
Whether or not it is accepted by the devs, at minimum it would take until the next release for everyone to get it through the installer.

For the League side of things, technically you have to submit it to the whitelist, HOWEVER
  1. Approval will take ages or never or non-commital or unjustified response
  2. Not everyone knows about this page hidden away from the GU website, so its authority can be doubted
  3. They refuse to update the whitelisted patches which to me indicates elitism.
  4. Some devs break this rule, even talk about it openly but no one notices.
  5. Unspoken rule that observer-only use is exempt from this rule, e.g. admins who have anti-cheat detection observer mods.
  6. No one will know. It is undetectable. brad's server doesn't even allow /clientquery so it won't show a dev build. Many undetectable mods do not result in bans even when there is evidence of it.
So you know, what's a rule if it's never enforced?
the minne missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Looks like life is tough all around..
the minne missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Regardless, I think it's a really nice feature to have..