Medals.

Discussion for GU League Players
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Medals.

Post by Zac »

Has anyone ever considered some sorta medal system for teams?

admins could award medals to teams for certain achievements such as 100th match, 500th match, 1000th match, or 5.0 activity or reaching 1500 points.
Medals would appear in a certain section of a teams profile page.
Specific players could be mentioned in the award description, eg. Medal awarded for [ForestForce] 6000th match. - participating players where, *insert playername*

Could be fun, and an incentive not to delete and start a new team, or for players to stick with certain teams. plus it'd give players in teams with lower points a bit of encouragement.

Thoughts?

- Zac.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Medals.

Post by FiringSquad »

I think that's an excellent idea.
The captain can edit the team-page to insert information about individual players, but team awards for activity etc. could be automated, so that the team-page will display achievement badges.
Riftsplitter
Private
Private

Post by Riftsplitter »

Awesome idea, although I am more into Cups. :wink:
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I really like this idea, it would certainly breathe some life into the league. What would it take to implement this? I'm surprised it hasn't been more discussed.
Last edited by Landon on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benji 13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by benji 13 »

I can't find any negative points about that besides we need someone who implements it.

We got highest activity atm btw. :)
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Reptiles have highest activty actually apocayplse. Anyways, I really promote this idea, hard to believe no one has done this.
retired
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

As of Mar 21, 00:50:20 UTC, the highest activity goes to Apocalypse at 2.96
TFG in 2nd place at 2.62
Lancers in 3rd place at 2.40
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

benji 13 wrote:I can't find any negative points about that besides we need someone who implements it.
Not exactly cups or medals, but can be used as trophys for big events, like Riker's Cup: http://forums.bzflag.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18448
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Zac wrote:Has anyone ever considered some sorta medal system for teams?

admins could award medals to teams for certain achievements such as 100th match, 500th match, 1000th match, or 5.0 activity or reaching 1500 points.
Medals would appear in a certain section of a teams profile page.
Specific players could be mentioned in the award description, eg. Medal awarded for [ForestForce] 6000th match. - participating players where, *insert playername*

Could be fun, and an incentive not to delete and start a new team, or for players to stick with certain teams. plus it'd give players in teams with lower points a bit of encouragement.

Thoughts?

- Zac.
Even if I am not active in the league lately due to other personal commitments, I think this could be a good idea. Some gold medal icons that teams could display besides their name, awarded by activity and sportsmanship rather than score only. I like it very much.
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Oh, you are talking about virtual medals. Still a good idea.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I believe there should be automatic [part of the site] medals on your team page. In the home page of all teams, there should be a column saying : amount of medals. This can give teamless players of what teams they should join.
retired
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Should there be multiple medals/cups (icons) or just one that changes color/shape to show it's meaning?
Landon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Landon »

I was thinking multiple medals for certain achievements related to GU League, some of them may concern length of time registered, number of caps, number of kills, or even for performing certain difficult actions in game (3 caps in a row? hat trick) etc etc. It would also be awesome if team leaders could gift custom medals to their teammates, although I'm not sure if this would be a possibility with the current website. Medals/achievements could be displayed on the GU site, and when earned in game the server could announce the medal/achievement earned, the possibilities are endless
Last edited by Landon on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Landon wrote:It would also be awesome if team leaders could gift custom medals to their teammates, although I'm not sure if this would be a possibility with the current website.
There isn't any support for medals at the moment, so anything related to medals would have to be implemented.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I would be glad to implemented the medals "feature" on the GU Site. Please know : 1. I don't have acess to the site. 2. I will take sometime, considering I am new to the coding process.

I am just willing to volunteer if I can get the GU Council's approval :)
retired
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Holding... my... breath...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Snake12534 wrote:I would be glad to implemented the medals "feature" on the GU Site. Please know : 1. I don't have acess to the site. 2. I will take sometime, considering I am new to the coding process.

GU league website is open source: http://code.google.com/p/bz-owl/
joevano wrote:Holding... my... breath...
hehe

P.S. Snake: http://www.code.org/learn/codecademy Now quit saying that you will learn and actually learn.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

allejo wrote:
Snake12534 wrote:I would be glad to implemented the medals "feature" on the GU Site. Please know : 1. I don't have acess to the site. 2. I will take sometime, considering I am new to the coding process.

GU league website is open source: http://code.google.com/p/bz-owl/
joevano wrote:Holding... my... breath...
hehe

P.S. Snake: http://www.code.org/learn/codecademy Now quit saying that you will learn and actually learn.
1. Gu is private and I can not edit anything. (i clicked every button xd)

2. I am pretty sure I have a basic idea how to code [or what I think.] So, I am waiting for an invitation to Snake12534@gmail.com to contribute to www.guleague.org
retired
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Snake12534 wrote:1. Gu is private and I can not edit anything. (i clicked every button xd)

2. I am pretty sure I have a basic idea how to code [or what I think.] So, I am waiting for an invitation to Snake12534@gmail.com to contribute to http://www.guleague.org
Open source communities & ethics 101:
- Checkout the repository
- Write new code and test them thoroughly on your own
- Convert this code to a patch or multiple patches (How to make a patch)
- Submit patches to the repository maintainers
- If your patches are good they will be accepted to the trunk
- Repeat the process until you get invited to having commit access
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My recommendation would be to get TortoiseSVN, then use that to check out the source code, edit it, test it, and then use that to make a patch. Making a patch with TortoiseSVN is easy. Just have to right click and say "Create patch".
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Hello, I would like to post an update on the medals feature.

I had been trying to learn and code PHP basics (GU Site is coded in PHP) I am working a slow, steady rate. It might take me awhile to get the knowledge to implement the medal feature. So I would like to say, "The medals feature will not be added to the GU Site anytime soon." Thank you.

Blast or Allejo :: When making a patch, do you have to download anything or dowload any sort of data or software? My PC can't handle downloads ; "Yeah Snake, it took you 6 hours to download bzeditw32" - Allejo. And I was lucky at the time. Please respond.
retired
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You need to download TortoiseSVN and then use that to download the source code for the league.