Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Round Robin (All Teams Play) Team Cup

Post by Snake12534 »

New Edit: Please read

Information / Rules On Team Elimination Cup

The current team cup will be a 3vs3

The Team Cup Elimination is a Cup that happens multiple times a year. This is an event where all teams come together and match each other. The Team Cup is known to be suggested by an old league player "back in the day," but it was more mentioned and organized as a special event in the HiX league by the player, Snake12534. The Event is now in process of being official in the GU league. The Rules are as followed: There will be zero tolerance for anyone who speaks in public chat during a tournament game. Please keep the talk in observer chat. There will be subs allowed, however, when there is no sub present, That person has exactly 4:59 min to return.If they do not come back within that time, the match will be forfeited despite the fact if you are losing OR winning.This is extremely important ... this also is active when a person is Not Responding. Any lag exceeding over 300 will be considered not able to participate in the match. Any jitter exceeding 16ms will be not able to participate. If your lag and jitter does not pass the test, you must find a sub within five mins. There will be no swearing, especially cheating, of course. All those rules of the normal GU League will follow. The Team Cup will be an event where we hope everyone would enjoy watching, playing , and just having a great time.

The last team standing takes home the cup!

How your team Qualifies

There is a huge major factor being played in the Team Elimination Cup, some of them are obvious, some of them are unique.
1) The first one is your team must have at least the amount of players required to participate in the team cup. Even though we hadn't hosted the team cup yet, we planned that most team cup's will be 2vs2's, 3vs3's, and 4vs4's.
2) The second one is your team must exceed an activity of 0.20 (either an average or current activity) This might sound silly, but there is a significant reason to this. We do this to avoid a person(s) creating a new team and recruiting only the top pro's. This team will not be loyal and probably be deleted after the team cup ends. We also do this qualification so that way, only *loyal* teams that had been out there for a long time can participate.
3) The third one is your team must be at least a month old before the announced date of a team cup. The reason why is similar to the one above.
4) The fourth one is The players who will participate in your team must be players had been in that team for a month before the announced date of a team cup. Why: This Cup is designed to let all players play. A team leader or team itself recruits other players that are extremely good and then uses them to play in the team cup. This excludes the loyal players in the team from playing. Even if those players who are excluded agree or not, this event is not made to be for *only the good players* such as the rikers (note: I started suggesting this event because of that reason, I am always excluded from Rikers :P) this event is made for loyal players who had been in the team for a long time and respect the team.
5) The final one is that these rules might actually be removed or changed if we do not reach a successful amount of teams in this event.

All of these qualifications must be passed in order for your team to be in the team cup. We will never exclude any teams unless they do not pass these qualifications.

How The Tournament Works

The Team Cup may be confusing, that's why we will not be able to post any information on how the teams will be chosen to match and the order until we had received more information. Anyways, the basic points on the team cup is as followed: The Team Cup will always start at 17:00 GMT. It will always last no longer than 19:00 GMT. We do this so there is time for the players in the matches, time for both North American and Mid / Eastern area to all watch it. A huge note is that All Team Matches will be reported to the GU League site This will probably change however, for now it will not. The cup will be a double elimination. The cup will be all 30 minute matches except for a best out of three 20 minute matches which happens in the final three / four. The final two teams will always be a best out-ta three, 30 minute matches. The Team Cup will always be during the weekends, however this may change during very special cases.
These are just the basic, important notes, more detailed information will be released in the near future.

The Cup will be no longer than two hours.

Registration Instructions for Team Cup

To register for the Team Elimination Cup - First you must ask your team leader if he / she wants the team to participate in the team cup.
You can help your team leader by gathering (x) team mates. (The Cup would either be a 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4)
Once you gather your mates, (remember that you must receive consent from your team leader first) Message Snake12534.
You can use the bzflag forums, or the GU League website to message Snake12534.

I check my bzflag forum mail and GU league mail daily

List of the players and their teams in the cup

1) Reptiles - khonkhortisan, snake12534, dobo

2) Tankers - bill, bartleby, my own bullet

Once we reach three teams I will post the date of the team cup and the deadline to register.

If you could post your thoughts about the Team Elimination Cup, please comment below with any questions and suggestions.

Admins, please give me your idea on this, as well. Thank you.

HiX map in GU League

Last edited by Snake12534 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 am, edited 11 times in total.
retired
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Round Robin (All Teams Play) Team Cup

Post by tw1sted »

Before I say anything, let me clarify that the tournament you suggested is not a round-robin tournament. You are describing a single-elimination tournament.

With that out of the way, I surprisingly like this idea--a single-elimination cup similar to the 1vs1 tournament that proves who the current top team is sans-ELO. I have a few suggestions that might make the cup more successful and easier to organize.

First, talk to the admins about the idea. Let them know that you are interested in setting up this tournament and what their thoughts are. See if they have any advice for you and if they are willing to help you out in any way.

Second, once you have the list of teams participating, set up some sort of bracket. People like to see what the set up is, who their next opponent is, potential future opponents, etc. This site has basic brackets you can use.

Third, secure some sort of prizes. I know the Riker Cup doesn't have prizes, but it's already an established event so people aren't expecting anything. For a one-off cup, prizes will definitely give people an incentive to play. Think Geek has some cool stuff for dirt cheap. Word on the street is that there are also some cool BZ mouse pads, coffee mugs and t-shirts floating around.

Fourth, set up some sort of website that explains the cup, lists the rules, displays the bracket, etc. It's a lot easier and more understandable to promote "visit guteamcup.com" than "team cup! search for it on the forums and hopefully you'll find it!" If you don't know how to make a website, I'm sure someone would be happy to help you. Heck, I'd probably even help you out.

Finally, get people aware that this idea is out there. Set up some sort of sign up service (Google Forms is probably perfect) and possibly send it to team leaders along with the website you set up. This way teams can vote if they want to participate and have a sense of what the cup is all about.

Another idea you may want to consider is setting up a seeded bracket similar to the way the NBA does it. This may not be as fair for newer and less skilled teams but is definitely something to consider.

The idea is solid and shouldn't be too tough to get support for. People love the Riker Cup, I don't see why they wouldn't go for another cup to support their team.

Lastly, a small word of advice: don't advertise this as a "Reptiles" project. An event like this works best with an objective style of organization. Having a single team set up the tournament that also participates in the tournament just doesn't seem fair.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And my suggestion would be to avoid physical or monetary prizes as there are various issues surrounding such things.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

blast wrote:And my suggestion would be to avoid physical or monetary prizes as there are various issues surrounding such things.
agreed
retired
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

May I inquire regarding the significance of the term "Team Cup"? Most competitions using the term "cup" have some kind of physical cup trophy, or else an intangible award associated with the prestige of the event (i.e. the Riker Cup, based on the reputation of and in honor of the author of the Hix map). To me, the term "Team Cup" does not connote any information about the style or format of the event, nor what individuals or group are backing it or honored/remembered by it.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Constitution wrote:May I inquire regarding the significance of the term "Team Cup"? Most competitions using the term "cup" have some kind of physical cup trophy, or else an intangible award associated with the prestige of the event (i.e. the Riker Cup, based on the reputation of and in honor of the author of the Hix map). To me, the term "Team Cup" does not connote any information about the style or format of the event, nor what individuals or group are backing it or honored/remembered by it.
Do you suggest that we change the name? :)
retired
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

It will be very difficult to get people available at those specific times for an extended period.
People have busy lives and even to get a team together for Rikers, which involves only two teams, can be very difficult.

The only way I can see this being possible is that you create and maintain the tournament brackets, perhaps using this* or something similar and let teams report to you when their challenge is complete.
Leave it up to teams to choose a time and server that best suits them (or even a best of 3) and then report the result as a PM to you.
You can then post results to this forum as they become available.
It will definitely take a lot longer to complete this way, but at least it will have some chance of wider participation.
Of course you'd have to administer it, arbitrate disputes and decide on walkovers etc.

* Never tried this. Just picked the first online tournament manager I found on Google.
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

You could have a relaxed timeline a bit like the 1vs1 tournament that happened years ago - everyone in the same bracket had 2-3 weeks to find all the other players to match against. And if you didn't match I can't remember what happened but you could specify a rule saying someone forfeits by default or something.
You could also have the cup occur over like 4 months, with 1 month for the matches in each round to take place.
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yosef »

What an interesting idea, Squerril. Putting the "onus" on the players instead of someone else doing it for them. How did it work out?
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
Kesslar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kesslar »

This sounds like fun :) I'd like to suggest that since you are including all players/teams, even the players/teams that are very bad at hix, (myself included lol) we do something like for players/teams that aren't as good, they may have supper flags til they hit 1 point, then the flag that they have automatically drops...? I think there is one hix map like that, though I can't remember which one it is...lol
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Kesslar wrote:This sounds like fun :) I'd like to suggest that since you are including all players/teams, even the players/teams that are very bad at hix, (myself included lol) we do something like for players/teams that aren't as good, they may have supper flags til they hit 1 point, then the flag that they have automatically drops...? I think there is one hix map like that, though I can't remember which one it is...lol
Adding Super Flags inside a GU League map? That sounds something that should never happen in GU League.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I will also be posting updates as I go with people who are willing to participate in the team elimination cup. I will provide brackets, and organized work when there is something to show :)

A list of players and their teams will be posted will be updated.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Update: A new team has now entered the Team Cuo

Tankers: bill, bartleby, my own bullet

We now have two teams in total participating in the team cup.. Once we reach three teams, I will start posting a date of the team cup, and the deadline until you can register.

Again, to register, PM me.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

Due to the low amount of participating teams, the team cup will not be occurred.

However, if anyone is still interested, PM me anytime.
retired