Ghost Flag

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ghost Flag

Post by SportChick »

From time to time, I've seen a flag that looks as if it is sitting on the field, but when you get closer, you see that it's actually floating in the air above the field, possibly about tank height. It cannot be picked up. It does not show up on radar. It is solid like a real flag.
Last edited by SportChick on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

there are a couple bugs relating to drivethrough/passable blocks, it also seems to exist on maps that are playing as FFA, but the map input had ctf bases in them originally.

so, what map are you driving around when you see this problem?
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

I've seen it on Secretplace, but have heard about it in other locations. Tupone confirmed that he had seen it on another map as well. He suggested that the server is not recognizing that a client has lost its flag and is showing the flag where it thinks the tank still is. Let me know what additional information you may need to track it down.
Last edited by SportChick on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danimal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by danimal »

I saw a floating flag on a rabbit chase server once... Can't remember which one, though. I think it was one that was testing maps.
danimal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by danimal »

I saw a floating flag on a rabbit chase server once... Can't remember which one, though. I think it was one that was testing maps.
Right after I posted that, I went to play on Jackal's Palace, and oddly enough I saw one. I saw a tank where the flag was on my radar and it dissappeared a few seconds before I got there. When I arrived I saw a floating flag. Then, when I was looking at it, a saw a tank appear, then dissappear right below the flag. The tank was only visible for a split second, though, and I didn't see it again, but the floating flag stayed there.
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

I've also seen this behavior with bullets; and they actually do kill you if you jump into it, but are not on the map. It's quite freaky, even scary, to see a bullet frozen in the air ;)

I know it's not a client problem because my internet connection is 3mbit down / 270kbps up...and the main place I've seen it is in Jackal's Palace as well... Server issue?
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

For the floating bullets, you might want to read the bug report, and the problem was supposedly fixed (in time for 1.10.4?).

As far as the floating flags, I've seen this once on the freedomlives server. If I recall correctly, the flag was being held by a player, and then the player was killed, while he was sitting still. The flag stayed in place at tank height. I'm not sure if the player holding it ever respawned, so his dead tank might have remained in that spot. I have also seen flags that show up on tanks that don't actually have a flag. It makes me think the two are related.

Back in 1.7g2 and 1.7g0, I remember a similar problem with flags. They were on the ground, but they couldn't be picked up, and they didn't show up on radar. I can't recall if the Identify flag showed what they were. What I'm wondering is if these flags are Null flags or something. I'll have to check the source code, but I'm wondering if the radar filters out Null flags. If it does, it might explain why we don't see them on radar.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Just checked the source code. The radar will skip flags that players are (supposedly) holding if they are of type Flags::Null. However, the code that renders the main flags doesn't check for this.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Shockwave

Post by Memnarch »

About your suspended weapons and flags: I have actually seen a supended shockwave! It grew, then it just sat there, the person who shot it could go in and out freely, but if someone else touched it...BOOM! It acted as a shield for the caster of it! Amazing! :shock:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That was most likely a modify server setting. 1.10 allows changes like that.

The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

that is a server setting, not a cheat. I've seen it done, and done it with my server.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!