server help x2

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

server help x2

Post by Army of One »

Hi this is Army of One--Getting back in the game-
I am trying to run a server but here is the problem:

First off i am running suse linux 13.1 -gnome 3
I have all the right ports open in both my router & Firewal on server
i use no-ip and its up and working- name is armysbzflagserver.no-ip.org
my server shows up on the public list just fine but it won't let you join server
However if i turn off my server firewall my internal server address shows up on public list with no discription but you are able to join
i have a publickey for my internal ip address but even using that same thing happens-any susgestions on what is wrong.
I have attached copy of my config file minus my publickey- i took it out for use in forums but i do have one and when i run server shows up
on pub list but you get the error ( can not connect to server ) when you try to join

Thanks a lot for your help--- Army of One
thanks for the reply i did what you said but still does not work i attached bzfs.conf file maybe there is something i am missing
Attachments

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Army of One on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some times you see me-some times you don't--and DESTRUCTION is only moments away
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: server help

Post by mr64bit »

Just helped solve this kind of problem for a friend. When you turn off the firewall, you're seeing it in your server list, but nobody else does. (local server scan)
First, when you get your publickey, you need to use the external address, not your local IP. (armysbzflagserver.no-ip.org)
Second, most likely you will need to use '-publicaddr armysbzflagserver.no-ip.org:<port>'.
If this doesn't work, try starting bzfs with '-dddd', which will tell you what's going on when your server tries to add itself to the public list.
---mr64bit
blast
General
General

Re: server help x2

Post by blast »

Note that the -a option takes two numbers (like '-a 50 38' or '-a 0 0'), not two numbers inside of brackets.

If you are looking at the in-game list on your local LAN, it will detect local servers on port 5154 automatically (with no description). You would need to manually check http://my.bzflag.org/db/?action=LIST to see if it shows up there.

Also, you left the password in the config file you posted here, so I'd recommend changing it. :P
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Army of One »

Thanks for the tips made changes and manually checked server list- thanks for the link Blast---My server does show up there---However, still will not let anyone join still trying to figure out whats wrong
Some times you see me-some times you don't--and DESTRUCTION is only moments away
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

I tried joining, (assuming I'm looking at the right server) in the provided config, the server is set to use port 5154, but the entry in the server list is for 8580. Which port is the server running on, which port is opened in your router and firewall, and which port is specified in -publicaddr? (hint: they should all be the same)
---mr64bit
Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Army of One »

mr64bit - How where you able to tell server is set for port 5154 if you download the config file all places where you specifiy port numbers they all say 8580 what am I missing

Thanks, Army of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It is using 8580.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: server help x2-new post

Post by Army of One »

Army of One---
My server shows up on list-- i use the link in this post and my server shows up there as well--I have the proper public key in conf file--Using port 8580 which is in conf file in all spots needed. I will start server and leave it up-could some one let me know if it is there and if you can join. When i run bzflag from computers here it shows up on list--but it gives this response when you try to join---error connecting to server---
The server name is--- armysbzflagserver.no-ip.org:8580
I have all the right ports open in firewall on server--which is a dedicated server-just runs bzflag.
And have the right ports open on my router--Hope someone can help--really confussed at this point--just can't seem to figure out what is wrong-
Thanks bzflag community for your help---very frustrated why my server won't work

Thanks, Army of One
even with all the research online i can't seem to figure whats going wrong
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

My bad, I hadn't re-downloaded your config file.
I tried and just succesfully connected to your server, and global auth is working. Seems good to me!
---mr64bit
Army of One
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Army of One »

Army of One----here

Thank you for all your feed back and help--turns out for me to join my server from my own network i have to use my servers ip address--go figure-- i can't just chose it off the list i guess. and when i do that it shows up on the list that someone is on my server--everything loads just fine--now i have to get all players files ban file ect. made up and loaded---question though-- is that normal i don't remember it being that way awhile ago.

Thanks,
Army of One