Airstrike plug-in question/problem

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
Buckethead
Private
Private

Airstrike plug-in question/problem

Post by Buckethead »

Hi all,

Purple Panzer has recently added some plugins to his great site (1purplepanzer.mooo.com:4100). "Airstrike" (AS) is one of the plug-ins.

It seems this plug-in does not - in my experience - properly identify the shooter or assign the points; this may be a random (but common) event. As you may imagine, this has led to some confusion and consternation, to the point of accusations of cheating etc etc.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a known bug? Or is it just a matter of adjusting some software setting?

This may also apply to the grenade (GN) plugin.

Thanks for any illumination...
-buckethead
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Airstrike plug-in question/problem

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Yup, Ive seen it as well. You shoot, kill someone with it and in your console you see your kill has been assigned to another player. Rather annoying actually. Part of new plugins, got to test and improve! Have you asked PP about it?
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The game itself does not have support for "extra" shots from players like these plug-ins use. These plug-ins fake it by using world weapon shots that are just set to a specific color. These shots are attributed to the server and do not automatically adjust anyone's score. Many of these plug-ins attempt to track the shots manually and assign scores when they kill someone. Due to limitations in how the shots are managed by the game, there are a number of cases where this logic can fail (especially in cases with a large number of plug-in created shots, or cases where multiple plug-ins create shots).

So yes, it's software bugs, some probably in the plug-in, but there are also limitations in the core system that limit the functionality the plugins can have.
ImageJeffM
Pac-Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pac-Man »

It is a known bug that occurs when Airstrike is mixed with other plugins. There is a conflict because Killer Rabbit of Cearbannog specifically also uses SW, but I believe it also conflicts with Death Blossom and Triple Barrel if processed in the wrong order. Triple Barrel and Death Blossom also conflict.

The easiest fix is to combine the custom flag plugins into one plugin. The more scalable fix is to write versions of each plugin that communicate via a protocol - JeffM added something to make inter-plugin communication possible when I brought up this issue some time ago. I decided against correcting the issue because:
  • I didn't want to be "that guy" who rewrites/maintains everyone else's custom flag plugin.
  • I was told those other plugins wouldn't be present anyway so I supported Airstrike for such a case, which I was already reluctant to do because I couldn't use my own API.
  • Otherwise requires an up-to-date server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I added functionality to the api so that plugins can just ask the server for a shot ID and not step on other plugins. They don't need to communicate they just need to work with any arbitrary shot ID and keep a map for scoring instead of trying to encode the player in the shot. It's not hard if you write the plugin with that in mind.
ImageJeffM
zel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zel »

Has this Airstrike plug-in been released? I can't find the source anywhere...
Pac-Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pac-Man »

JeffM wrote:I added functionality to the api so that plugins can just ask the server for a shot ID and not step on other plugins. They don't need to communicate they just need to work with any arbitrary shot ID and keep a map for scoring instead of trying to encode the player in the shot. It's not hard if you write the plugin with that in mind.
I think it is workable now, but I guess whoever decides to fix the first custom flag plugin is also volunteering to fix all the other ones.